• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How dusty is your galah?

Hquinn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
According to this website : Galah or Rose-breasted Cockatoos / Roseate
It says that Owners have described the Galahs to be surprisingly "undusty" for lack of a better word. They are much less dusty than say african greys. Their pink and grey feathers feel soft to the touch.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I'm new to cockatoos. I've had my galah, Rose, for a couple weeks and haven't seen a speck of dust. I see people in my RB2 group on Facebook talking about having to bathe them constantly and clouds of dust coming off, so I'm just curious what that's dependent on. Are some 'toos just dustier than others? Is it an age thing? Rosie is 16.
I have a Galah, Freddy, 7 yrs old, and have had him 7 weeks. For the first couple of weeks I didn't notice any dust. Then I read somewhere that if a too isn't dusty it could mean the start of a health issue. That made me nervous and I started looking for it. I have a dark green cage too. The first place I noticed dust was on the rim of his stainless bowl. It's a fine, white, like baby powder. If the light is just right, when he shakes, there's a little puff of dust, and very light coat on his cage bars, but it's not everywhere. i have also read that Galah's aren't as dusty, but they all should have some dust. I was relieved to see the dust lol! If you have onlyhad Rose for a couple weeks, relax and just start looking. I bet you will see dust.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, they aren't as dusty as the white Cockatoos or the greys but they do have some dust!:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Wear black =D
Most of what I wear is black or dark blue...that's the way it is.

There are many days when I forget to brush off the 'too and tiel dust before I leave the house....oh well...that's life...:D

ArchieRB2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tish
I'm new to cockatoos. I've had my galah, Rose, for a couple weeks and haven't seen a speck of dust. I see people in my RB2 group on Facebook talking about having to bathe them constantly and clouds of dust coming off, so I'm just curious what that's dependent on. Are some 'toos just dustier than others? Is it an age thing? Rosie is 16.
I know this is an old thread but for anyone reading this thread now or in the future. If your RB2 is not ‘dusty’, get your vet to test for PBFD. I adopted an RB2 and when I took him to the vets for his check up and bloods that’s the first thing the vet picked up about him and said we need to test for this disease. He came back positive. Lack of dust is a big sign for Psittacine Beak & Feather Distrophy.

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
I have 2 galahs and mine don't bath very often nor are they dusty. You can see lots of pics of them on their thread MG dailyish and I don't think you can see any dust in any of the pics...so I would say in my experience they are not dusty birds.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have 2 galahs and mine don't bath very often nor are they dusty. You can see lots of pics of them on their thread MG dailyish and I don't think you can see any dust in any of the pics...so I would say in my experience they are not dusty birds.
Have you ever heald them wearing black? Trust me, they are incredibly dusty birds!:D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are incredibly dusty birds.

Horrible but…
They leave a big white powder splodge on cars when they’ve been hit, they’re so dusty that you can’t see through the powder if they hit the windscreen.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Wouldn't it be curious to see ???-- If you hung up a mouse glue trap [protected against ANY flying birdie bodies].. and monitor to check the amount [OR NOT] of :peek1:
bird dust? If you were rich, you could even
place multiple glue trap in various places around the house
... just to see [how far it carries/ accumulates]...

I used to hang my fly strip in a shaped bird-cage-wire enclosure... [used a small decorative bird cage once].

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
Have you ever heald them wearing black? Trust me, they are incredibly dusty birds!:D
They free range the house and I'm with them 24/7 and is there another colour.... still don't think they are dusty :fantasy: :ohdrama::pillowfight:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have 1 Galah, he's not fond of baths and yes, he's very dusty. But for whatever reason there's only lots of dust where he spends most of his time, not in the rest of the house. And I can't hold him before I go to work unless I want to change my shirt. My guess is some places I just don't notice it as much.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
By some miracle the people that had her didn't clip her wings...
I felt the same way when I got my cockatiel. He was a mess, but at least, thankfully, he wasn't clipped. I was able to start him relearning his wings right away.

Seems like lack of clipping is the one upside of neglect.