• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How dusty are Blueheaded Pionus Parrots?

shelby.pax

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shelby
This went completely under my radar during research but I just heard that some people have dusty pionus parrots? I didn't even realize any South American parrots could be dusty as I was informed dust was only an old world parrot issue. I was wondering how dusty can the blue-headed pionus be? I found somebody who is rehoming their 7 year old male blue-headed pionus and mentioned that he is not dusty but I just want to confirm. I don't have allergies but I do make needlefelted art commissions and prefer to minimize the amount of allergens they are exposed to.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Dusky pionus...Never thought they were part of the really dusty powder birds like tiels, toos & african greys
but guess they & all birds can make dust & dander.

Would be interested in that in more detail.

shelby.pax

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shelby
Just a quick update, I've reached out to a few pionus owners and they explained that pionus are not powder down birds and that their keratin shafts break down into chunks instead of dust.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Mine is not dusty.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Not dusty at all. They do get a greasy look if not bathed regularly and I have known some to have a dusty problem from being kept in filthy conditions and never bathed but after a few baths they are fine. Also pi's smell the best.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch had all kinds of beat up bronzed dark feathers because he was flying around running around every where. Dobby is active when he's out but he's very festidius about his appearance and loves baths so he usually looks really sharp and starts doing the shower eagle and dunking in any water when he's ready for a soak in his shower cage. If they don't get enough showers their feather edges get dark and bronzed but like said give em a long shower and they get all their colors back and do smell nice.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Less dusty than my Amazons... still can create a cloud of dust when they rouse their feathers. Showering will indeed keep the dust levels down.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobbys been looking very nice lately and he hasn't had many showers what with the cold time of year and all. He really seems to value staying a sharp parrot and looking well dressed.. :xflove: Pippen will just jump in her freshly changed water bowl and I'm not sure what the fosters think of showers but their feathers seem to be getting nicer and brighter.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Right? My daughter says my zon is in fantastic feather, but all I do is give fresh foods, vitamins in almond butter once a week, and the showers. I think the worst behaved are the best looking:laugh: