• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

How does a hen behave before laying an egg??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
I have a 9 year old female ekkie. She laid a few eggs before (no mate), but that was at least 5 years ago.

I came home from work tonight and she is NOT herself. Some behaviors I remember from last time, but I just want to be sure. She's currently on her playstand sleeping. Her wings are held a bit away from her body. Her head is lowered. I can hear her breathing. (she was perched in her cage when I got home)

I remember from the last time that she was very sluggish and made a groaning type noises. Sounds that just let me know she wasn't comfy. But I don't recall the wings being held out or her sleeping like this. Normally she's eating, but she's been out for 20 minutes and hasn't moved.

She hasn't had any signs of illness. She was flying around last night, ate dinner, and was her typically high-hormonal self searching for a nest site. January has always been her worst time of hormones. I just need to know if these are things that are normal for a hen about to lay an egg. I did look at her pelvic area (not sure what its called) and there is a bump, hence why I'm thinking she's with egg.

Oh, and what can I do/should I do to make her more comfortable? She doesn't have a nest box or anything. Should I put her back in her cage or leave her on her stand where I can watch her?

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Take a look at her vent. Does she have egg butt? If not I would get her to a vet ASAP. Is she able to poo? If she can't poo she's egg bound.

Ginger

Vega

Real Name
Joni
What is eggbutt?

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Ok, she just pooped, but its just white and clear, no green or colored dropping in it. She woke up when I started walking around.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You should be able to see a distinctive egg shape bulge on her back end if she's near to laying. Is she tail bobbing?

Ginger

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Tail bobbing? I'm going to assume that means moving her butt? No, she's not, but she is sitting with it sticking it out more than normal.

There is a bump right before her vent. When I tried checking her out she started moving around. She did growl at me :rolleyes2: but that made me feel better to get some type of reaction.

How long does it take for them to pass an egg? Is there anything I can do for her? Should I keep her warmer or anything? The first time I wasn't this stressed because she laid the first 2 when I wasn't home! The third one she laid within a couple hours of me finding her.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Tail bobbing is when a bird's tail visibly move's up and down while breathing. When my little Lovie hen get's ready to lay she does tail bob and does have heavy breathing. The tell tail sign though is the egg bulge. Once you see the bulge, I would wait only 24 hours before getting her to the vet. If she starts to look distressed, has trouble perching, eating, drinking or pooing you need to get her in right away.

Ginger

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Here's my favorite description of an about-to-lay eclectus hen:

They look 'eggnant' (swollen in the belly) and sometimes get a kind of glazed
dazed look about them the day before. They will be heavy and sluggish too.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Thank you Ginger! I'm going to keep an eye on her during the night. At least now she's holding her head up while sleeping. *sigh of relief* All of the animals must sense that something is up. The boys are all being very well behaved, even Rico, the resident screamer, is being quiet. It was just a shock to me to come home and find her like that.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Thanks Kathy! Did you ever notice them holding their wings out a bit? When I walked into their room the first thing I thought was that it was too warm in there. In fact I even said something to her about getting her into the cooler living room...then I noticed the additional strange behavior.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
All of the hens I have kept exhibited tail bobbing and then went to the bottom of the cage. The egg ususally passed the next morning. I always give olive by a dropper when I first see any signs or after I set them up to breed and the nest is finished. One drop for a lovebird. More according to size. Six drops for a Cockatoo. Sometimes I rub it on the seed or pellet mix. This always lubricates the way for the egg to pass. Worked for them every time. Also, if it was an indoor bird, I got out the heating pad, the old style that doesn't automatically turn off after an hour and covered the cage 3/4 of the way. Watch your bird tonight and please take her to a vet if an egg does not pass.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Thanks Kathy! Did you ever notice them holding their wings out a bit? When I walked into their room the first thing I thought was that it was too warm in there. In fact I even said something to her about getting her into the cooler living room...then I noticed the additional strange behavior.
I can't say I've noticed the wing posture. Mostly I notice they are subdued and sluggish. Since she's laid before without problems, I'd just leave her alone and let nature take it's course. That's kind of my style regardless though so if you are a worrier, my style won't help!

I always hope for an egg off a perch! CRACK

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I think that Mother Nature needs a little help sometimes....with all due respect Kathy. I would at least put some oil on my finger and let her lick it off. Then I would put some heat on the side of the cage with a towel between the bars and the pad and then a blanket over that. Warmth helps. You have a very valuable bird....not that all of our birds aren't valuable!:heart:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
She seemed to perk up a bit as the night went on. She didn't eat, but did have a normal dropping around 8 pm. As I was changing the water bowls she flew into the hallway. But I could tell her flight was heavier, if that makes sense. I put her to bed early and put the space heater on in their room. I normally do this anyway, but I put it just a bit closer to her cage. Oh, she was drinking water as soon as I put her in her cage. I checked her vent again and it's not its normal shape. Fingers crossed that the egg passes tonight.

Thank you for helping calming my fears.

Katherine, you mentioned olive oil... Can I use regular extra virgin olive oil?

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I think that Mother Nature needs a little help sometimes....with all due respect Kathy. I would at least put some oil on my finger and let her lick it off. Then I would put some heat on the side of the cage with a towel between the bars and the pad and then a blanket over that. Warmth helps. You have a very valuable bird....not that all of our birds aren't valuable!:heart:
None taken, but how does olive oil she licks lubricate her vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.