• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do your IRNs like to be bathed?

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany

Looking to introduce my baby Indian Ringneck to bathing soon! He's still young, but we still need to keep those feathers clean :p

What methods do you all use? I've heard from several sources that these birds are not the biggest fans of water, but of course each one's an individual.

I was thinking about misting with a spray bottle, or giving him a shallow dish of water.

Also, how would you go about introducing your bird to bathing?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
The methods I can think of atm are: Spraying with a mist bottle, taking them in the shower with you, providing a dish of water, or leaving a bowl of wet grass.

May we have some pics of your IRN? :blink::laughing12: Pretty please!

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany
The methods I can think of atm are: Spraying with a mist bottle, taking them in the shower with you, providing a dish of water, or leaving a bowl of wet grass.

May we have some pics of your IRN? :blink::laughing12: Pretty please!

Thank you!!
He's in my profile picture as well <3

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My Piper likes both bathing in her bowl and a misting with a spray bottle. She'll usually try to bathe herself in her water bowl - especially when the vacuum is running. When I see this, I usually bust out the spray bottle to help her out. :) She's actually the most regular bather out of all of my birds.

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Bowie loves to bathe in the sink! I let the water run lukewarm and she will splash under the tap.

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
Our IRN loves to sit in the shower. We bought a perch made for showers and he loves to soak a couple times a week.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pi isn't an IRN but he is in the same genus, so think might work for an IRN :)

I built a shower perch with a branch. I place it on the ground and he can grip it firmly and paces about in the water as he wants. I set it so part of the perch is out of the water and he has choice in the matter. Water is always cool-cold and I set it on a low setting.

It took a few weeks to get him comfortable in the bathroom and shower etc. Now that is the only way he baths so he will actually drive me to the bathroom if he wants a shower..via leaning and pinching... I am a well trained horse. The other day he was so excited about a shower he flew from my arm at the door to the actual shower.

Pi needs showers often normally he wants one every other day. I used the spray bottle before but it was too much of a mess for the frequency of his bathing. The shower is simply easier to contain all the splash and wet. I sometimes mist him in the shower also... he loves water :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@rockoko That is a gorgeous photo! It just brings a huge smile to my face!

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks all for sharing your experiences and tips! Gosh your birds are so beautiful :joyful:
A couple days ago Asriel had his first proper bath! I had been getting him desensitized to a spray bottle, and giving him little spritzes to see what he thought. He didn't seem to mind.
One of his favorite things is to splash his face in his water dish, so I thought he might like a shallow dish of water? However, every time I've tried bringing him one or bringing him TO one, he isn't interested at all and just tries to climb on me.

One day he was doing his thing, splashing in the water dish- and getting water all over my computer monitor :cautious:- and I thought I might try again with the spray bottle. I got it out and showed it to him (it's quite big, but is mostly clear and has a gentle spray). He didn't move away, so I started spraying. I made sure to not spray directly in his face. Instead, I angled the bottle up so the spray would rain down on him from above. To my pleasant surprise, he started fluffing out his feathers, raising and flapping his wings, and turning around! It wasn't a super deep clean, but it was a great start. Made my heart so happy to see him enjoying himself :D

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Pi isn't an IRN but he is in the same genus, so think might work for an IRN :)

I built a shower perch with a branch. I place it on the ground and he can grip it firmly and paces about in the water as he wants. I set it so part of the perch is out of the water and he has choice in the matter. Water is always cool-cold and I set it on a low setting.

It took a few weeks to get him comfortable in the bathroom and shower etc. Now that is the only way he baths so he will actually drive me to the bathroom if he wants a shower..via leaning and pinching... I am a well trained horse. The other day he was so excited about a shower he flew from my arm at the door to the actual shower.

Pi needs showers often normally he wants one every other day. I used the spray bottle before but it was too much of a mess for the frequency of his bathing. The shower is simply easier to contain all the splash and wet. I sometimes mist him in the shower also... he loves water :D

Love it! :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks all for sharing your experiences and tips! Gosh your birds are so beautiful :joyful:
A couple days ago Asriel had his first proper bath! I had been getting him desensitized to a spray bottle, and giving him little spritzes to see what he thought. He didn't seem to mind.
One of his favorite things is to splash his face in his water dish, so I thought he might like a shallow dish of water? However, every time I've tried bringing him one or bringing him TO one, he isn't interested at all and just tries to climb on me.

One day he was doing his thing, splashing in the water dish- and getting water all over my computer monitor :cautious:- and I thought I might try again with the spray bottle. I got it out and showed it to him (it's quite big, but is mostly clear and has a gentle spray). He didn't move away, so I started spraying. I made sure to not spray directly in his face. Instead, I angled the bottle up so the spray would rain down on him from above. To my pleasant surprise, he started fluffing out his feathers, raising and flapping his wings, and turning around! It wasn't a super deep clean, but it was a great start. Made my heart so happy to see him enjoying himself :D

That’s wonderful news! :dance4: