• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you travel when you have parrots?

RealDeal

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ty
I have a african grey that only likes me and I was just wondering if I ever traveled what people do ? I usually let my bird out 5 or 6 hours a day out of cage time. Problem is my bird I am almost positive wouldn't let anyone put her back in cage so yea I'm a little confused???

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a CAG who doesn't actively dislike others, but only really trusts me to handle her. I go on a week-long vacation at least once a year, sometimes twice. I go on several long weekend trips every year (3-4 days).

I have someone change her food and water and that's it. I never ask anyone to let her out when I'm gone. It would be far too unpredictable and stressful for my bird and the petsitter. She's been totally fine.

I would love to find someone who can handle her, but no one I know is interested enough to make the long effort to earn her trust.

I make sure to give her a few extra new toys and cardboard boxes to chew before I leave on vacation (only tried and true toys; not something completely new that I've never used before), and to give her a lot of attention before I leave.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't even know how I could leave mine, took me almost a year to get him to trust me to change his water bowl and food bowls. He was so neglected, I think the previous owner fed him through a door at the bowls and his water was a hamster bottle hanging out of his cage. That was the first thing I got rid of, it was full of brown nasty water. Yes I got bit, but with patience, and learning his behavior, I would give him his warm broccoli in the evening,can't bite with a mouth full of food and taught I him to scoot over, and then I could reach in and get his food and water bowls. Our night time routine is I dim my table lamp and he swings. I worry that a change in this routine would set him back. I did take him with me when I first got him and he was a champ. I just might do that. The family is planning on a beach trip.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Snowghost, your baby is a very special baby! Those who have suffered great trauma need special care (and I know you are amazing for your bird).
I have a CAG who doesn't actively dislike others, but only really trusts me to handle her. I go on a week-long vacation at least once a year, sometimes twice. I go on several long weekend trips every year (3-4 days).

I have someone change her food and water and that's it. I never ask anyone to let her out when I'm gone. It would be far too unpredictable and stressful for my bird and the petsitter. She's been totally fine.

I would love to find someone who can handle her, but no one I know is interested enough to make the long effort to earn her trust.

I make sure to give her a few extra new toys and cardboard boxes to chew before I leave on vacation (only tried and true toys; not something completely new that I've never used before), and to give her a lot of attention before I leave.

That is pretty much what I do with Walter!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you have feeder doors then you just get the pet sitter to feed only but not allow out of cage time.

I personally do not have anyone I trust with my birds or my house keys locally so I won't go anywhere unless I can leave late at night and get back the next morning before the sun is up.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
I went away for 5 days. I left Max inside his cage... (someone was home the whole time but I told them he's fine and have plenty of food and water)

I come back to find max out of his cage and a MESS of a room.....

I couldn't blame Max but next time I will make sure to tell my boyfriends father to NOT let Max out of his cage no matter how long he fire alarm beeps. Cause clearly he can't remember to put him back nor clean up the mess after.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have found some great peope to help with my birds- one a "professional" bird sitter and others, friends with birds. Whether they let my birds out depends on their level of experience and which bird. My tiels have always been easy and if the people are comfortable with letting them out, I let them. Elvis, my 'too, is only let out with people that are able to handle him. Basically, people with 'too experience. Otherwise, he stays in his cage. With my bird sitter, I had her come multiple times to my house to meet and practice with the birds before I decided she could handle them when I wasn't there. (Unfortunately, she has since moved away.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are basically 3 options

1. Board with a vet/facility/rescue
2. Get someone to check in on them while they stay in their cage
3. Take them with

All have pros and cons. I usually leave Ripley in his cage and have someone check once or twice a day. He's used to being out all day (I rarely close his cage) and he adapts just fine :)

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I either board them at a trusted facility or have a well-known, bird knowledgeable friend come to feed them. Either way they do NOT come out of the cage.

Levi is currently boarding with a very good friend of mine from the Iowa Parrot Rescue until I can move out of dorms and into my own place. My mom currently cares for Grumbles as she enjoys him and he loves her.

The one time I trusted bringing them to someone else who had birds and I thought I could trust, they let Grumbles out (he loves to fly) and he landed on Levi's cage and his toe was bitten off by her. I will never forgive myself for what happened to my baby and I am lucky it wasn't so much worse.
I had one of my good friends from the Iowa Parrot rescue get him and take him to the vet as I was in another state with no way to come home for a week. She is an angel and I don't know what I would have done without her. She's the one who watched Levi while I was in Germany and now that I'm in college until I have my own place, since Levi hates my mom and this person has other large macaws and is very familiar with parrots of all sizes. She is the only person I trust to take my birds to now, but anyone else understands they are not to open the door of the cage only food and water and they come to my house where Grumbles is safe.

Mrs c

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana
If you have feeder doors then you just get the pet sitter to feed only but not allow out of cage time.

I personally do not have anyone I trust with my birds or my house keys locally so I won't go anywhere unless I can leave late at night and get back the next morning before the sun is up.
We suffer and don’t ever go anywhere together as a family. :laughing6:
Same ere:roflmao: