• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how do you train your bird to accept syringe feedings?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Am I right in thinking this is the bird that the vet said no food was being absorbed by and he was given some probiotics and something to help him absorb food (I am guessing some type of enzyme)?
yes but its not working, he keeps losing weight by the minute

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you call the vet and ask if they can keep him for a few days to help

animalover

Jogging around the block
Can you call the vet and ask if they can keep him for a few days to help
my mom didn’t like that vet at all she doesn’t want to go back there again, there’s another vet we used to go to, but stopped because it was soo expensive, their care was decent tho, so I don’t know if I should go there or keep searching for better vets

animalover

Jogging around the block
I called the doctor in the clinic, I discussed everything with him, I asked about tests I can do with no needles and sedation, he said a fecal smear and an X-ray, is that good?

animalover

Jogging around the block
we went, he only took an x-ray, milo has an enlarged proventriculus, the vet said, it could either be pdd( which has no cure and they can only prolong his life with medication) and candida(which has a cure and he is being treated for it for the next 3 days) he also added meloxicam to help a bit along with antibiotics and probiotics, I'm hoping with all my heart that its candida, If he doesn't show signs of improving in a week then I have no idea what's gonna happen, I'm praying he gets better..

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope it is something that can be treated as well. Did the vet advise you what to feed him and how? I was hoping your vet would keep him for a few days to feed him.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I hope it is something that can be treated as well. Did the vet advise you what to feed him and how? I was hoping your vet would keep him for a few days to feed him.
thank you, he said he can eat what he normally does, he doesn't want to stress him out more than he needs to.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Keeping my fingers crossed it is something that be can treated. I really wish they had of kept him in and got his weight up a bit but hopefully you can manage that at home now you’re able to feed him whatever he likes.

animalover

Jogging around the block
no improvement after the fungal medications, and I actually think his health declined a lot, he has stopped making any noise, even when we shake the bag of food, he usually screams for it none stop, now he just looks at it, doesn't move whatsoever, hes more tired, I feel like there's nothing I can do :( he has some pain meds to ease the process for him, I dont know why I get the feeling he knows its coming, he keeps begging for kisses and scratches, even when I just walk by the cage, he wants me to cuddle him, when hes on my shoulder, he will sit on my chest and bury his head under my chin, which he hated doing before, he looks so much worse, his face feathers dull and sticking out, droopy wings, sunken eyes, I dont know how much time he has left, but I hope with all my heart that he goes easily with no suffering.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My heart bleeds for you. I'm so sorry.

animalover

Jogging around the block
I still have hope that he will get better, hopefully this is just exhaustion after taking medications and nothing else. hes a little fighter, he went through alot but hes still going and im so proud of him for that.

animalover

Jogging around the block
his poop doesn't smell anymore, before it used to be a strong potent smell, but now it smells normal?? is this a good sign? could the medication have healed a underlying problem that caused the smell or possibly the main problem, do birds with candida have smelly feces? he is a bit more active, is open to trying out new foods, ate pears and parsley along with rice, which is good. still tired during the day, still has constipation in the morning but only when I wake him up late, his poops are bigger than usual, idk, a lot of things changed with him, im just not sure if its for good.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, I think candida can cause poop to have an odor. I hope he continues to improve!

animalover

Jogging around the block
his wings are lifting! they are crossing now! hes very active and vocal, still one thing tho, weird clicking zipper sounds come from inside of him, not all the time, just randomly, could it be his proventriculus shrinking from the treatment?? is that possible?? the sound was very faint before treatment you could only hear It if you put your ear up to his crop in a very silent room, yesterday it was extremely loud, sounded like he was gassy which doesn't happen right? today I can barely hear it, its weird, I talked to the vet about it he said to see if the treatment fixes it.

animalover

Jogging around the block
his beak also started growing since the medication, thats a really good sign right? means hes finally absorbing his food.