• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you tell the difference in gender?

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
L N R.jpg L N R.jpg I was told that the dark headed smaller one was a male, and the larger violet white face is a hen....is there any color markings that tell you the difference in love birds? I was also told they were around 7 months old & from the same clutch... BTW: I messed up on the cage, it's bar spacing is too large and Ricky tends to try to stick his little head thru the bars. Off to get another cage tonight....bar spacing advice please...??

Attachments

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
arrhhh...the pics are terrible..sorry

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
None of the common lovebird species kept in captivity are sexually dimorphic. There are sex linked mutations that can help. With the mutations that you have there is no way to tell if either bird is female. Depending on the parents it may be possible to identify the male as a male.

Matt

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
ah...I see! ok. Not that it matters but I was curious. Thanks Matt, very informative as always...:)

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well now I feel bad I thought the bar spacing seemed too wide sorry I didn't say anything :( I usually keep to about the same as a budgies or at least no more than 5/8 ". I know there is no definitive way to sex lovebirds without DNA testing. Over the years I have noticed a few things though with my limited experience the pelvic bones of my lovebirds have been different depending on sex. The males seem to have one sharper than the other side so you can feel the difference while the females are always rounded on both sides. Also my females often perch different than my males females seem to perch with their legs farther apart and lower to the perch. I notice my males usually perch with their feet closer together making them sit taller on the perch. I don't keep my loveys in pairs but I have witnessed them housed together and I have never personally witnessed the female feed the male only the male feed the female. Just my observations.

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
The only way you are going too know for sure if it is a male or female is too get them DNA sex! :smuggrin:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Thanks for the reply! I went & bought them a better suited cage with smaller bar space....:)...