• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How Do You Survive the Suffering???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I love being able to rescue, I really do....

But those of you who do it constantly, HOW do you deal with the emotions??

We just got a pair of surrendered budgies and their shape is horrible. You can read about them here. And if you have any more advice, please add it. Anyway, I'm so distressed and disheartened by their condition, that I can't imagine what some of you have seen.

How do you deal with it and not have a break down??

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I'm not really sure, I think it's just something people Learn to handle

We haven't gotten to many birds from bad places but we got a few.

I'm still very mad over Sun Dance's situation and we've had him since 2007 - we got him and 8 other tiels (Was supposed to be 15 total But thats a different story) well the so called "rescue" we bought them from was down right nasty - we turned them in the dogs were standing in poop up to their knees! the lady we spoke to Knew who were talking about before we said the womans name! she's still in business though!

but any way some one there cut Sun Dances one wing bone all the way off - so he would not breed was their excuse All it did was make him scared crap less of people wouldn't come out of the cage (took him 2 years to come out of a cage) and he can not fly and never will fly

We also fostered 2 cockatoos The woman had them for 5 years - could not figure out why the one kept "plucking" it would grow back and be gone again HE was not plucking, the other cockatoo was attacking him!and plucking out his feathers - we figured that one out in under 5 mins. of them being in our house!

the cage she sent with them - Supposedly was their outside cage, it was Very narrow , Rusted(at 1st I thought it was just the color of it until I got a better look) and the tray had a HUGE hole in the center of it, there was barely any metal left to the tray If this was an outside cage they could of very easily got out of course the one who was plucked the worst couldn't fly he had no wing feathers from the other one plucking him he looked like a Chicken ready to be cooked the cage had one toy that was so rusted I'm surprised it didn't designate in my hands , one dowel rod perch and one Tree branch perch

but You wouldn't know they ever lived like that now, the one who was badly plucked only has a small area on his chest that the feathers aren't fully grown back yet

The other Is now plucking her self but the vet said it was hormonal - Not so sure there, since she never once plucked her self when she lived with us. But I'm not vet So I don't know.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
awww honey! I'm sorry I was away, things have been absolutely insane- I'll send you a message on FB!
I'm glad you guys took these babies in! It's so hard sometimes. When I brought Scooby home and found him to be ill I was wondering the same thing. How can someone knowingly do this to a bird and not care? How can someone let it get so bad?
It really broke my heart.

I feel so bad for the poor little things....
But you and Josh and incredible for opening your hearts up like this
:hug8: to you both!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks guys :)

I'm an easy crier....and I get my heartbroken so easily. It's difficult for me to handle things like this.
This guy, however, has his own method of "euthanizing" birds he thinks are sick and it almost made me throw up. So even if the worst happens with these little ones after we do what we can, we still saved their dignity as intelligent creatures that deserve better.

Thank you for the support and stories :hug8:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I try not to dwell on it too much. We used to do foster care for human children. You guys would be shocked and not able to sleep if I told you some of things done to the kids we had. I always just roll up my sleeves and get to work on making things better. If I spent too much time thinking what had happened in the past, my head would explode.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, I am sorry about those budgies, and I am so glad that you took them in!
I feel the same way as Dawn, I try not to think about it, or I would have a nervous breakdown. When I rescued Sammy, and I saw the enviroment that she was in, I got so sad, and mad at the same time, it was a rush of emotions, and I am so glad that I got her out of all that.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I can't. I would love to foster birds but I would end up keeping them. I volunteer for a children's shelter but all I do is their weekly grocery shopping. It would tear me apart to deal with these poor kids directly. :sad7: The little interaction I've had with them has brought me to tears. :sad3:And I like birds a lot more than I like kids! :lol:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Andrea,
You and Josh sound like such sweet,
kind people. The world is a better place
because of your kindness. Hope these two
budgies make it.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I keep in mind that "the past is history and the future a mystery but right now is a gift so we call it the present." That way I know that tomorrow is a new day for these birds that I rescue.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

OH I get this question a LOT! Hoe do I not kill people when I go into these situations and the birds living conditions are horrifying.

I expect the worst each time I walk into a bad situation. For example....Lets use Tiki as she is the newest of my horrifying cases, not the first and definately will not be my last.
I walked in expecting the bird to be kept in horrifying conditions before I even arrived, mostly from the conversation. When I walked in and was directed into a laundry room closet where she was kept while the dryer was going..the whole room smelled of dryer sheets. The woman had a bag of sheets that were so shredded she wanted Tiki to have as a remeberence...i asked her to please trash them. I DID make the woman retreive Tiki from the cage. Her bird! When the woman signed the surrender form she asked for NO updates, and NOT to be contacted what so ever! The cage she had also was not taken...and i had to scurry to get a donated cage for her. Poor Tiki her cage was smaller than the one we found donated. It was sooo small and she lived in the cage, in the laundry room for 8 years.

I go into every situation ready to take action, I think it was my years at the hospital in the ICU that I am able to keep such a level head. I have a plan of attack, I critical think, and I get in and out without any blood shed. NOW...ask me what I want to do to some of these people.

We get through it, remember that tomarrow is another day and each day in the new home is one step further towards happiness. Thank you for taking in those budgies. You and the birds will survive the horrible situation, you will grow stronger each time.

Crystal Mom to many creatures furry, feathered, and human.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I stopped doing it. The heart can only take so many beatings with a hammer. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have rescued two tiels....I dont deliberately go out and rescue..it just happened....BJ our first tiel...hubby kept coming home and saying his sister, yes, his own sister had a cockatiel and sometimes when he went the food dish was empty the cage was filthy..Dub would clean it..the tiel would come out and cuddle with Dub...one time he went there and the water was green, green..he gave his sister the such trouble over it and he kept coming home and saying ohmygod..then one day he went and he came home with her...His sister said, oh just take her, she is pretty well useless anyway...that is how we got our first bird...and what a joy she was...a true little dollie..stuck like glue to Dub...she seemed overjoyed to have food all the time and to come out of the cage and be with us..she only lived for 3 1/2 years and it broke o ur hearts when she died...we swore we would never get another pet ever ..and a lady at work said oh my kids they are so bad they are torturing the bird the stupid thing hisses ...I dont even remember its there half the time until it shrieks and then I feed it..HUH????? I said well I will take the bird...(not even knowing what kind)---that night Dub and I went to her house and in a cage was a lovely little girl grey cockatiel...of course we took her home...the lady said she was there about 4 years..they got her f rom someone else who had her about 5 ...we had her nearly 4 years...Lou died and my husband was beyond devastated..beyond devasted....it hurts where you think you cant stand anymore..to see there little facesso happy after being in such terrible conditions....it hurts like John said like a hammer..but you have to keep on..

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Well, I cry, I complain to either Crystal or my husband. But then...I take that and turn it into helping them. Love them, give them things they never had. Give them what they deserve. And go to bed at night knowing the past is the past, and they can only have good loving days ahead of them. Always look for the happier side, knowing they are OUT of that environment.

Allow yourself to have sad moments, that way you stay human. But turn it into something productive. And know we are here to listen when you need to vent.:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I keep in mind that "the past is history and the future a mystery but right now is a gift so we call it the present." That way I know that tomorrow is a new day for these birds that I rescue.
:heart::heart::heart::heart:
I so love this attitude!
As you get "older" and see more things you have to deal with in everyday life, you have to "STEEL" your heart and put up a mental defence that will help the birds for the future....YOU will always hurt but shutting that out and focus on what YOU can do to help them is your life's "saving grace"....For us "oldies" it is not an issue of not caring but knowing the birds are better that saves us from going under....Yes, we still cry/angry but that is only a little....Having a wonderful calm/loving out look for these birds to feed upon and feel secure in is far more important to me than my emotional upsets....they keep me going and I so try to do the very best I can for them from the time I receive them.....:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Its a real BIG eye opener, thats for sure. You just have to toughen up, be empathetic to your rescues, treat them the best, and try to help out as much as possible. It builds your heart and strengthens it too. Not only parrots in rescues, but ALL animals who are suffering. I cant imagine being one of those people hiding behind a fake wall pretending the world is OK and that nothing wrong is happening.:rolleyes:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
It opened my eyes at how much cruelty goes on in our world. Also a lot of it from plain ignorance.
We are learning an awful lot on the Avenue and do not realise it,as it is so enjoyable. Hopefully the word will spread like throwing a pebble into a pond and the ripples just reaching out farther and farther.
My one rescue/fostered bird came to me in a terrible condition and it broke my heart. Then you work to put things as right as you are able and that takes over your thoughts. It is wrong to keep having the negative ones as they are no help to the bird or you. If left they will destroy you.
:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I feel sad for these babies, and I definitely don't know what the future holds for them. The boy looks like he'll be fine with some TLC, but the girl could have any of a hundred different issues causing that sac of fluid on her belly. No matter what the future holds, I went out today and bought them some real perches and some fun toys....lots of bells...so they can live whatever they have left in style. :)
Hopefully this will be the first few of many days that they can be loved.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I haven't rescued birds from dire situations, but I do work at an animal shelter/boarding facility and I have seen some awful, awful things that humans do to dogs.

One of the girls at the shelter told me when I first started to "always remember that they are out of the bad now and that their future has nowhere to go but up." I can't tell you how many times I have sat with a dog that has gotten brought in and said to both the puppy and myself "It's okay. It's all over now."

That is what helps me get past the abuse/neglect.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
All you people who work in rescue for our dumb friends, all deserve a medal in my book and my hat goes off to you all. God bless.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.