• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video How do you scold your bird?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Monaco I agree, I have read many posts here in regards to "discipline" and ignoring the behavior. I will admit Paco (19 year old CAG) chomped me hard and I yelled. Not specifically at him but that hurts! I had a problem with him slamming the top of my head when I cleaned his cage, and boy that smarts. I firmly told him no and continued to clean his cage. Now I watch him and if starts to get close to me I firmly say, no bite or ah ah. The term ah ah or ack (how it's spelled is beyond me) I know works well with dogs and cats, its more of a sound and they know to stop what they are doing.

Paco was cage bound for I know the first 13 years of his life, and I don't believe he was socially active with his humans. The second owner, the lady that gave him to me said he was let out when the cat wasn't around and he walked on the floor, gave kisses and steps up. We did the step up ok but now he has learned to chop down on my arm again. I have resorted to wearing a brace, (broke my wrist last August) and I cover it with my sleeve.

We have come a long way since April when I got him. His diet is great, socially talking, chattering and is not plucking anymore.

Its just the stepping up and getting close to him that we need to work on and I need advice. That's why I read this thread.

They are a challenge but such a fun companion as well.

JaeBae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaehee
I speak both English and Russian fluently. I mainly speak English and I have a system with my bird that when he does something good, I reply in English. If he did something bad, I reply in Russian. My tone of voice changes in each language. Sprout knows that when I speak in Russian, I mean business. When I speak in English he knows that I'm giving him love and praise.

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
I believe in only using positive reinforcement. Punishment or discipline can damage trust in relationships or unintentionally reward and animal with attention. The only form of discipline I use is non-reaction/ignoring. The best way to avoid a bite is to watch for warning signs so that you can prevent being bitten in the first place. Positive reinforcement may be more time consuming, but there is so much more of a pay off down the road.

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
@Monaco I agree, I have read many posts here in regards to "discipline" and ignoring the behavior. I will admit Paco (19 year old CAG) chomped me hard and I yelled. Not specifically at him but that hurts! I had a problem with him slamming the top of my head when I cleaned his cage, and boy that smarts. I firmly told him no and continued to clean his cage. Now I watch him and if starts to get close to me I firmly say, no bite or ah ah. The term ah ah or ack (how it's spelled is beyond me) I know works well with dogs and cats, its more of a sound and they know to stop what they are doing.

Paco was cage bound for I know the first 13 years of his life, and I don't believe he was socially active with his humans. The second owner, the lady that gave him to me said he was let out when the cat wasn't around and he walked on the floor, gave kisses and steps up. We did the step up ok but now he has learned to chop down on my arm again. I have resorted to wearing a brace, (broke my wrist last August) and I cover it with my sleeve.

We have come a long way since April when I got him. His diet is great, socially talking, chattering and is not plucking anymore.

Its just the stepping up and getting close to him that we need to work on and I need advice. That's why I read this thread.

They are a challenge but such a fun companion as well.
Covering your arm is a great idea. I recently bought a bird glove (it's usually what people use when dealing with sharp metals, so the fabric is pretty strong).
I've always treated the conures and act super excited so it's a really fun experience.
When i first got them on the perch I kept them a far and gave them some fruit for them to concentrate on. Occasionally, I'd bring them slowly closer and without them knowing they didn't mind being so close.
If they bit your clothes I think maybe you should tell them 'no' or 'ah ah'. Think of this way: we have a dog and in the kitchen he has a sofa he can jump on, so when he comes in the living room he jumps on the sofa. It's confusing when he's told no, because it's a sofa, so can he jump on one and not the other. Same principle hear, why can they bit this part of your arm and not the underneath. They might learn 'when I'm on the arm, I should nibble beneath me'.
It takes time, which is really hard for even me to deal with, but it happens quicker than you expect. You're doing a great job!

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I believe in only using positive reinforcement. Punishment or discipline can damage trust in relationships or unintentionally reward and animal with attention. The only form of discipline I use is non-reaction/ignoring. The best way to avoid a bite is to watch for warning signs so that you can prevent being bitten in the first place. Positive reinforcement may be more time consuming, but there is so much more of a pay off down the road.
This may sound silly, but could you give me an example on positive reinforcement.

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
@Teagan Hall Positive reinforcement is when you reward an animal when they behave in a way you like and when there is no negative punishment for bad behavior. For example, if a bird that struggles with stepping up does it nicely, give them a treat, verbal praise, or a head scratch. If they don't step up, walk away (without being disappointed) for a while and do your own thing; later, try again. If that bird does something you don't like, ignore them (or move them and then ignore them) until they change to a different behavior that you like and then reward. The animal soon realizes that if they behave in one way they get rewarded, but not if they engage in undesired behavior. I don't know if I explained it very well; let me know if you have more questions! @JLcribber is very knowledgable on positive reinforcement as well.

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
@Teagan Hall Positive reinforcement is when you reward an animal when they behave in a way you like and when there is no negative punishment for bad behavior. For example, if a bird that struggles with stepping up does it nicely, give them a treat, verbal praise, or a head scratch. If they don't step up, walk away (without being disappointed) for a while and do your own thing; later, try again. If that bird does something you don't like, ignore them (or move them and then ignore them) until they change to a different behavior that you like and then reward. The animal soon realizes that if they behave in one way they get rewarded, but not if they engage in undesired behavior. I don't know if I explained it very well; let me know if you have more questions! @JLcribber is very knowledgable on positive reinforcement as well.
You explained it very well. Yeah I think that's a really good way for any animal. Obviously no one (hopefully) scolds their bird for not stepping up etc. But I do think it's important to have a sterner approach when they aren't being nice. Like actively trying to bit, such as jumping onto me to do so. I think that's the only time I've ever scolded my birds.

Teagan Hall

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
I speak both English and Russian fluently. I mainly speak English and I have a system with my bird that when he does something good, I reply in English. If he did something bad, I reply in Russian. My tone of voice changes in each language. Sprout knows that when I speak in Russian, I mean business. When I speak in English he knows that I'm giving him love and praise.
That's brilliant! I'd love to see that in action

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I had A bird called Rocky who would fly to my hand And bite it I ignored him except for I wave my hand to get him to fly to his station he would fly around and would not buy anymore one day he just start biting all together that is positive reinforcement

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Backing off and sometimes (but not often) turning my back will get my point across to my flock. I’ve found turning my back really freaks them out so I don’t use it often. And what other people have said don’t get bit which means learn their body language in general and specifically your birds body language. Whatever your reaction to bite is it will be taken as a response they like and it’s hard not to react to a bite. As for dogs I have huskies who normally don’t bark often and they growl all the time. Their growls don’t mean aggression. I’m just using this as an example for knowing your pets body language.