• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you properly disenfect a perch?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So I really want to learn how to make bird perches and I found ALOT of good information, the tools you need, safe woods, safe metals ect. But I'm very confused on how to disenfect them, some websites say to use bleach(is there a risk to that? Bleach is very strong) some websites say to just bake it or clean it with soap and water (will that be enough)? I know there are many of members here who make their own including vendors, like @Mizzely , @JLcribber ,@Macawnutz and they look so cool! It would be nice to design my own perches and get creative.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You mix bleach with water, and let it dry. It dissipates harmlessly. I sometimes clean with Dawn but I don’t think that disinfects.

I’m not familiar with the baking process, it seems that a certain temperature would kill all the germs. I know a lot of people do it.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
There seems to be endless ways to do it, I am comfortable just doing a vinegar/water soak and sun drying.
Check out the YouTube channel Love of Pets, she recently did a video with several different way to clean and disinfect perches.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Can you use alcohol or peroxide instead of bleach? Wouldn't alcohol be more affective and safer, or would viniger be strong enough? Also, I saw somewhere that only perches being in the sun could get certain germs off.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Can you use alcohol or peroxide instead of bleach? Wouldn't alcohol be more affective and safer, or would viniger be strong enough? Also, I saw somewhere that only perches being in the sun could get certain germs off.
Different alcohols affect different germs, but most do not get ALL germs.

Vinegar, like alcohol, only kills "some" germs

You could get some F10 and clean first, then wipe with F10. It's what vets use in their offices. I don't know about the sun killing germs, I like to dry my things in the sun so the bleach or what have you dissipates. I like to use bleach in a very diluted form. You can do 1:20 or even less and it's still effective. But I understand not wanting to use it!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If you have dishwasher you can clean them in it. They will not be completely dry if wooden. But pretty darn close to dry. I just let them set to dry. If I had F-10 I would use that.

anurim

Strolling the yard
When I did Finn's perches, I was not comfortable with using bleach, so I soaked them in vinegar, washed them with water, and then I baked them. I finally let them sit under the sun for a day. It's also really important to get them from trees that haven't been treated with anything. I haven't had a problem with this process.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I've made my decision, here's how I'm disenfecting with the help of all of you, so thank you!
1. Soak in alcohol, let it dry
2soak in viniger and let it dry
3. Bake
Although I have one more question, is it necessary to take off the bark?

anurim

Strolling the yard
Although I have one more question, is it necessary to take off the bark?
It depends. If the bark is pretty thick and there are spaces between the bark and the actual wood (bugs may live there) and you don't think this process will get under it to disinfect everything, you should probably take it off. If it's pretty thin, it shouldn't be a problem. It depends on the type of tree you use and which part of it you cut off. Also, from what I remember when I did my research, for some trees you will have to remove the bark, since it's toxic, while the actual wood is safe.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
soapy dishwashing liquid. Rinse with clean water. spray with apple cider vinegar. Or if you live in the heat like me, 2 hours in the full afternoon sun

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
So I really want to learn how to make bird perches and I found ALOT of good information, the tools you need, safe woods, safe metals ect. But I'm very confused on how to disenfect them, some websites say to use bleach(is there a risk to that? Bleach is very strong) some websites say to just bake it or clean it with soap and water (will that be enough)? I know there are many of members here who make their own including vendors, like @Mizzely , @JLcribber ,@Macawnutz and they look so cool! It would be nice to design my own perches and get creative.
vinegar-water solution

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Other people have touched on this, but it is important to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Different products and techniques can be used to achieve different degrees of cleanliness. Natural wood is a rather difficult surface to properly clean. Not all approaches are equal.

First, let's define our terms so there is less confusion:

"Cleaning removes germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces or objects. Cleaning works by using soap (or detergent) and water to physically remove germs from surfaces. This process does not necessarily kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.

Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces or objects. Disinfecting works by using chemicals or other methods (steam/uv light/etc) to kill germs on surfaces or objects. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.

Sanitizing lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects to a safe level, as judged by public health standards or requirements. This process works by either cleaning or disinfecting surfaces or objects to lower the risk of spreading infection.

Sterilization describes a process that destroys or eliminates all forms of microbial life and is carried out in health-care facilities by physical or chemical methods."
Source: IntroductionDisinfection & Sterilization Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

When you gather branches or pieces of wood from the wild to use as natural perches, you are concerned about a few things - mold/mildew, disease-causing bacteria from wild birds, insect life, and harmful chemicals, like herbicides/insecticides. Removing the bark and cleaning with soap and water will help remove surface-level contaminants, but it isn't going to sterilize or disinfect the wood. To get the wood really clean you will need to properly disinfect OR sterilize the wood AFTER clean away surface debris. When mixed to an appropriate concentration, bleach is a good disinfectant on clean nonporous surfaces. F10 is another proven disinfectant that can be used as an alternative to bleach. In contrast, even undiluted white vinegar is not an effective disinfectant against many harmful bacteria. Likewise, strong alcohol does not kill all germs you will want dead. It is not a good alternative to using bleach.

If you want to disinfect something, you must use an appropriate disinfectant and be sure to mix it to the proper concentration AND allow the product to remain on the surface long enough to disinfect. When reading instructions, this is called "dwell time" or "contact time". If you just spray bleach on a surface and wipe away immediately, it doesn't have enough time to properly disinfect the surface. Some germs will survive. Be sure to read and follow all directions when using a disinfectant.

Unfortunately, chemical disinfectants are NOT that good at cleaning natural wood perches because wood branches are frequently rough and porous. This creates tiny cracks and crevices where germs will hide to escape destruction because the chemical agent can't reach them. One way people try to get around this is by soaking in bleach for several hours or overnight to allow the solution to penatrate deeper into the wood. Another option is baking. Baking wood is a form of heat sterilization. If it is done correctly, it should kills ALL bacteria, insects, and mold spores, even if they are hiding inside the wood or under the bark, but it will not necessarily remove surface contaminants, like pesticide sprays, so be sure to select wood from chemical-free areas, when possible, and wash the wood before baking.

Several people also mentioned leaving wood out in the sun to dry. This will kill some mildew/mold or bacteria due to the combination of heat and UV light in strong sunlight. Just be aware that this is not the same as baking since it only affects the surface directly exposed to the light and it will not kill most insects.

In my opinion, the best method for properly sanatizing wood is to clean with soap/water and a wire brush to remove debris and surface contamination, then bake the wood to kill everything else. This should give you a piece of wood that is free from harmful organisms. If you can't or don't want to bake your wood, soaking in bleach is a safe alternative, just prepare the solution away from your birds, following proper directions, and allow the wood to dry completely before putting it into the cage. Once dry and free of bleach odor, the wood is safe to use around birds.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Other people have touched on this, but it is important to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting. Different products and techniques can be used to achieve different degrees of cleanliness. Natural wood is a rather difficult surface to properly clean. Not all approaches are equal.

First, let's define our terms so there is less confusion:

"Cleaning removes germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces or objects. Cleaning works by using soap (or detergent) and water to physically remove germs from surfaces. This process does not necessarily kill germs, but by removing them, it lowers their numbers and the risk of spreading infection.

Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces or objects. Disinfecting works by using chemicals or other methods (steam/uv light/etc) to kill germs on surfaces or objects. This process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, but by killing germs on a surface after cleaning, it can further lower the risk of spreading infection.

Sanitizing lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects to a safe level, as judged by public health standards or requirements. This process works by either cleaning or disinfecting surfaces or objects to lower the risk of spreading infection.

Sterilization describes a process that destroys or eliminates all forms of microbial life and is carried out in health-care facilities by physical or chemical methods."
Source: IntroductionDisinfection & Sterilization Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

When you gather branches or pieces of wood from the wild to use as natural perches, you are concerned about a few things - mold/mildew, disease-causing bacteria from wild birds, insect life, and harmful chemicals, like herbicides/insecticides. Removing the bark and cleaning with soap and water will help remove surface-level contaminants, but it isn't going to sterilize or disinfect the wood. To get the wood really clean you will need to properly disinfect OR sterilize the wood AFTER clean away surface debris. When mixed to an appropriate concentration, bleach is a good disinfectant on clean nonporous surfaces. F10 is another proven disinfectant that can be used as an alternative to bleach. In contrast, even undiluted white vinegar is not an effective disinfectant against many harmful bacteria. Likewise, strong alcohol does not kill all germs you will want dead. It is not a good alternative to using bleach.

If you want to disinfect something, you must use an appropriate disinfectant and be sure to mix it to the proper concentration AND allow the product to remain on the surface long enough to disinfect. When reading instructions, this is called "dwell time" or "contact time". If you just spray bleach on a surface and wipe away immediately, it doesn't have enough time to properly disinfect the surface. Some germs will survive. Be sure to read and follow all directions when using a disinfectant.

Unfortunately, chemical disinfectants are NOT that good at cleaning natural wood perches because wood branches are frequently rough and porous. This creates tiny cracks and crevices where germs will hide to escape destruction because the chemical agent can't reach them. One way people try to get around this is by soaking in bleach for several hours or overnight to allow the solution to penatrate deeper into the wood. Another option is baking. Baking wood is a form of heat sterilization. If it is done correctly, it should kills ALL bacteria, insects, and mold spores, even if they are hiding inside the wood or under the bark, but it will not necessarily remove surface contaminants, like pesticide sprays, so be sure to select wood from chemical-free areas, when possible, and wash the wood before baking.

Several people also mentioned leaving wood out in the sun to dry. This will kill some mildew/mold or bacteria due to the combination of heat and UV light in strong sunlight. Just be aware that this is not the same as baking since it only affects the surface directly exposed to the light and it will not kill most insects.

In my opinion, the best method for properly sanatizing wood is to clean with soap/water and a wire brush to remove debris and surface contamination, then bake the wood to kill everything else. This should give you a piece of wood that is free from harmful organisms. If you can't or don't want to bake your wood, soaking in bleach is a safe alternative, just prepare the solution away from your birds, following proper directions, and allow the wood to dry completely before putting it into the cage. Once dry and free of bleach odor, the wood is safe to use around birds.
Thank you so much!!

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello all,

I was looking for a way to clean perch efficiently and I found this topic.

I see the different methods that are proposed but I have question. Let say I clean a perch with soap or vinegar or bleach. I am afraid the product could be absorbed by the wood and then for instance it could affect the feet of my bird. For example vinegar is acid wouldnt it irritate the feet of the parrot?

Thank you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s important to rinse, rinse and rinse again. If the perch is properly rinsed then nothing is left behind so nothing to worry about.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I soak the perch in hot water and vinegar. Once the water has cooled I put the perch in the oven, at the lowest setting. Then I bake the perches until all of the water has evaporated. It takes a few hours. Then I wait a day or two before putting in hangar bolts, just to be sure.

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Yes I understand rinsing again and again and then drying the perch. I was thinking about using an hair dryer but it might take a long time.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My method:
Soak in hot, soapy water
Scrub down very well with cage scrubber (with more soap), being sure to get in all the nooks and crannies: 91wqLe1pYxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Rinse well
Submerge in F10
Set on a towel, point a big box fan at all the perches, and let them dry for however long it takes. (I turn the perches over after a few hours, so that the opposite side can get dried off)