• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you move with so many birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
This isnt going to be recent..but Eric and i would LOVE to move out of state just for a change. Were both honestly so tired of Arizona. It wont be for a few years at least, but we do eventually want to move. He "claims" that if it wasnt for all my birds, we wouldve gone already. :rofl::rofl::rofl: (what a jokester :rolleyes:) I told him when the time comes, ill take care of my birds.

Soooo now my question is this. We will definately be driving, because obviously we have to take the car. Im assuming wed also have a Uhaul as well..so that makes me driving the car, and him the Uhaul. When i moved into this house, i had Lacey in the front seat, and i was BARELY able to fit everyone in their carriers in the back seat..so traveling like that for hours is NOT an option. Rent a mini van? Hmm perhaps..but then who would drive my car! ahh!! :confused:

Okay so thats dilemma number one. Dilemma number 2 is, how do you stop to sleep? I understand pet friendly hotels..but i have ALOT of birds..and with the move i know theyll be loud and scared and im sure id get complaints thru the walls!

Dilemma number 3? Putting up with them the whole trip! How do you keep them busy? From freakin out?

Again this isnt for a while, but just something id like to be prepared for and think about. Id love to hear any input! I know theres been several members whos had to move with multiple birds! Im talking 9 if everyone is still with me :)

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I've been stressing out about this as well,while I am not moving out of state there is a chance I might be moving up north and that's a 4 and a half hour ferry ride from Juneau to Haines and then a 775 mile drive to Anchorage with a few Canadian border crossings.What I was thinking is if Adam and I do move maybe we can rent a uhaul and get one of those hitches to tow the car in the back of it and then I could fly with the birds to our destination.The thought of all that makes me not want to move,but like you I'm sick of where I am living currently.I hope you'll get some answers here because I'd love some advice as well.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Dilema 1: you can attach a trailer hitch to the uhaul and put the car on the trailer :)

Dilema 2: you'd only be staying for 1 night so anyone who complains can kiss your tushie! Lol just try to get a motel that you can drive right up to the door. Perhaps you can ask for a room at the end away from most of the other rooms ?

Dilema 3: chances are the birds will be quiet and sleep in the van - or they'll be looking out the windows. Most animals IME are pretty quiet in the car. I would just include fave toy or 2 and some foraging packets to keep them busy. and play the radio! Lol

Hope this helps you plan ahead :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with Tanya. I think birds on a trip like that would be quiet for the most part. They will pick up from you that something is different about this trip.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You have 9 kids but don't already own a mini van?? We used to have a car but now we have a jeep because it has way more room in the back for cages. And we only have 4 kids. :D

If the trip lasted over night they would be sleeping in the vehicle. They would be in small sleep cages anyway. No different than how they are traveling. I would also move them last and have as much stuff set up as possible before they got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.