• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you let them go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
I am fostering my first two rescues. One is "Boogie", a 2 yr old severe macaw, who spent his entire life in a too small cage in a pet store with NO PERCH!

In the two weeks that I have had him he has made amazing progress. He perches. He plays with toys. He's eating great. His plucked areas are just about filled back in and he is no longer plucking. He is talking up a storm.

We went from me not being able to touch him without him drawing blood to just two days ago he informed me he wanted to step up (he literally said it over and over until I let him lol). He now steps up proudly every time. He lets me rub his back and wings and chest (no head yet). He gives me kisses. Last night he actually put his head on my chest and stayed there for about 20 min softly talking to himself.

I don't know if he's bonding, but I sure am. How the heck do you let them go? I foster dogs, and that is hard at times, but a bird? sheesh!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If they go to a family that has the "right stuff" and continues to give them what they need it's not as bad. There aren't too many people like that.

Otherwise it's a heart breaker. Fostering requires you "not" form too much of a bond with them or we are setting them up for failure again once they leave. It's a fine line.

I couldn't do it anymore once the TOOs arrived. Needless to say they stayed. :)

If I was in your situation they would not leave. I would just make room.

I'm not talking about you but that is how hoarding starts. They start with the best intentions and they really do care but things get out of hand.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:(I hope never to be in a situation where I need to find out. It's hard not to care once you've invited them into your home. Probably much harder when you see how much they've progressed. Don't think fostering would ever work out for me.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am fostering my first two rescues. One is "Boogie", a 2 yr old severe macaw, who spent his entire life in a too small cage in a pet store with NO PERCH!

In the two weeks that I have had him he has made amazing progress. He perches. He plays with toys. He's eating great. His plucked areas are just about filled back in and he is no longer plucking. He is talking up a storm.

We went from me not being able to touch him without him drawing blood to just two days ago he informed me he wanted to step up (he literally said it over and over until I let him lol). He now steps up proudly every time. He lets me rub his back and wings and chest (no head yet). He gives me kisses. Last night he actually put his head on my chest and stayed there for about 20 min softly talking to himself.

I don't know if he's bonding, but I sure am. How the heck do you let them go? I foster dogs, and that is hard at times, but a bird? sheesh!
I have done a lot of rescue. Lots of birds and dogs have passed through our home. To be honest, I allow myself the right to keep an animal if she or he fits into my group I have here. It is my perk for doing rescue:)

Earlier this year I fostered an AWESOME young male Peke, Mu Shu. I was so in love with this dog and he had some issues so I decided we'd probably keep him. After 4 months though, he was doing great. I listed him on our site and thought, if that PERFECT home comes along I might consider placing him. And, it did! The woman is wonderful and super competent. And, I still get to see him. I already have two young dogs and didn't need another young one to try and fit training session in with, etc.

If you decide he should stay, you'll keep him. If it's better for him to go to another home, you'll do that.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
To be honest, giving them up is sometimes the hardest part. It helps that I'm already at my limit and know that I really couldn't provide the one-on-one attention that another animal needs long term to be happy. But when I could... well, that's how I got to my limit! :lol: Now, rescues get what they need, but I do try to keep a bit of emotional distance. It's tough, but if they bond to me (and I to them) I think it makes it more traumatic for most animals when they do go to their forever home. Some fosters and I have bonded though, because they needed it to help them 'get over' their issues, and I think it did help them become more well-adjusted in the long run, even if it was tougher at the time.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Oh I don’t think I could do that after fostering them. It would be too hard and I would cry my eyes out. I rescued Boomer 4 months ago for abuse and neglect and I could never let him go. Im so sorry you are going threw this. This has to be very hard. Can you in any way keep him? Is there a chance? Im sure you got extremely attached to him.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Fostering is hard work. Foster birds bring a new level of chaos into your home.

But as you recently found out, it is hard to say no to a bird in severe need.

I never thought in a million years that The G2s would be anything other than a short-term foster.

They are destructive, messy, loud; did I mention destructive? No one in their right mind keeps an undomesticated wild animal inside their home. Something my friends and family remind me of all the time.

Even once you have worked through their issues. They absorb time, money, and emotional resources which would have gone to other household members.

For me, no foster birds stayed because my house for better or worse is a democracy. The Teenagers outnumber me. While some of the foster Zons and CAGs were amazingly articulate and funny; The Teenagers were against signing on for the work and responsibility.

Then came The G2s. My oldest calls them, the birds he hates to love. Despite the mess, loudness, and destructiveness, they "fit" into our dynamic.

I think the number one attritibute that makes the situation work, is The G2s attachment to each other. They are happier and more independent than other birds, we have fostered.

The G2s found their forever home.

Status
Not open for further replies.