• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you keep a plucker warm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Buddy, our Jenday rehome, is constantly shaking. This morning he had droopy wings and I know it is because I moved him in front of the window and he got a chill. The sun is shining now and I have a heat pad on the bottom of his cage but he is out of his cage. He has free reign when we are home. He has had a warm meal and I offered oatmeal to which he turned up his beak to. He is deathly afraid of blankets but we do cover him up at night and tonight I am putting an extra blanket on his cage and I am covering the window better. A heated perch is not necessary because he sleeps in a hut.

Any other ideas?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I keep a small heater in the bird room on low to ward off the draft and have central heating set up higher then most people at night :hug8:

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Chico isn't completely plucked, just has a fuzzy chest, but I don't do anything special, I just keep the temp at about 72-75. Unless your house is really cold I don't see why there would be a big issue.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I don't think I could get a sweater on him. But, that is a cute idea! His chest is the only place that is plucked, but he is shivering :( Thanks for the suggestions!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You could use a ceramic heat lamp over his cage. Some of the other types have a Teflon coating. You would have to remove it and the electrical wire when he is out. My GWs go immediately to any exposed wire to chew on.
ML

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
By keeping the room he is in in the mid-Hi 70's to the mid 80's.

Make sure the humidity is 45-50%

If you use a space heater, it SUCK up the humidity very quickly, which can cause a bird to pluck!

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Well its been said a million times...but I was going to say Mystics mom has sweaters....

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
LOL! Ok, but I have just one question.....How do you go about putting one on? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.