• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you introduce vegetables?

Nidarosis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maja
I got my cockatiel, Onyx, from a local pet shop where he had been stuck for at least 6 months. I assume they didn't feed vegetables, because he is not interested what so ever :(

How would you introduce vegetables to birds that lack interest?

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I had a heck of a time introducing veggies, and particularly pellots to my cockatiels. the girl was 5 when I got her and she was pretty much hopeless. The boy was 1 and he did pretty well. I just kept putting them in the cage even though they often were ignored. I had the most success with lead and corn. They ate almost anything of my plate with me but the same foods in their cage and the girl suspected I was trying to poison her,

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Try offering different cut up sizes. Uchtred prefers big pieces she can hold and the others like smaller pieces. My blue crown conure and sun conure like it pureed. I started with organic baby food with them cause it was easier to get them to try then slowly added bigger cut up pieces.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A good start is taking raw broccoli and chopping the tops into little pieces. It looks like seeds and often a bird will start with them. You can sprinkle on top of his seeds or try separately. You can also try sprouting seeds. And as was already suggested, try different sizes. My tiel liked everything chopped small except for lettuce. He loved to chew on a big piece of romaine or other type of lettuce if you held it for him.