• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you guys secure wood to cage tops?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Been meaning to make a natural cage top play-area for my littles! So, I ordered two 24” pieces of sandblasted grapewood (from blooms&branches) for the top of Mimi’s cage.

The area: (Behind Gylfie) Her cage is 32x21.
E15A15E1-2FB6-4811-A12C-F2362E587794.jpeg
Mine only shipped today, but here’s an idea of what they’ll look like. 5EB4C1FE-499C-4F06-8E10-782D590E0605.jpeg
I’d appreciate some opinions on securing them! My thought was industrial strength zip ties, are those 100% safe if chewed on?

Any other ideas for the play area are welcomed! I’ve got some vet tape for better gripping, will have to hang a boing too once I get around to it!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can get stainless steel zip ties. You can also use stainless steel picture hanging wire to wire it on.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You can get stainless steel zip ties. You can also use stainless steel picture hanging wire to wire it on.
Wow, didn’t think about those! Thanks so much!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you have a drill, you can also use a block of wood and non-galvanized wood screws to make a simple clamp.

Figure out where you want the grapewood branch to be secured, then put a block of wood on the other side of the bars. Drill the screws through the wood block into the branch, so it is secured to the cage. If it is a big piece of grapewood, you will want to do this in a few places. You can unscrew the wood block(s) if you need to remove or reposition the branch later on.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the stainless steel zip ties.
image.jpg

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
um . . . right idea, but might want to skip that listing. Zinc + Galvanized finishes => sick birdie.

you'll have to go piece-meal for Stainless hardware, but the hard-to-find bit:

1/4-20 x 2-Inch Stainless Steel Hanger Bolts, 15-Pack

I usually locally-source the stainless washers and wing-nuts as needed, since Lowes carries those.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I’ll probably lay them naturally since they’re quite large & my girls are small, or use stainless steel zip ties if I need the stability.

I’ll update the thread with pictures once they’re here and set up!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
um . . . right idea, but might want to skip that listing. Zinc + Galvanized finishes => sick birdie.

I usually locally-source the stainless washers and wing-nuts as needed, since Lowes carries those.
Yep, I was just trying to give a visual of the item. Stainless is best.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can’t wait to see ur finished product

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Been meaning to make a natural cage top play-area for my littles! So, I ordered two 24” pieces of sandblasted grapewood (from blooms&branches) for the top of Mimi’s cage.

The area: (Behind Gylfie) Her cage is 32x21.
View attachment 382623
Mine only shipped today, but here’s an idea of what they’ll look like. View attachment 382624
I’d appreciate some opinions on securing them! My thought was industrial strength zip ties, are those 100% safe if chewed on?

Any other ideas for the play area are welcomed! I’ve got some vet tape for better gripping, will have to hang a boing too once I get around to it!
AHHH I love her! She's like "watcha think you doing taking pictures of me and my cages?!"

What I think birds are thinking lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I’ll let you in on a secret. You can buy SS ready rod in 3ft lengths. Cut the length of anchor bolt you need. The bolt does not need a “wood” thread on one end as long as you drill the appropriate pilot hole. (3 drill bit sizes down from actual diameter)

Dress the wing nut end of the bolt so it goes on easy. Sharpen a bit of a point on the other end. Tighten half the bolt in your drill chuck and in the perch it goes.

A 3ft rod is $10. Makes a lot of 2” bolts.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I’ll let you in on a secret. You can buy SS ready rod in 3ft lengths. Cut the length of anchor bolt you need. The bolt does not need a “wood” thread on one end as long as you drill the appropriate pilot hole. (3 drill bit sizes down from actual diameter)

Dress the wing nut end of the bolt so it goes on easy. Sharpen a bit of a point on the other end. Tighten half the bolt in your drill chuck and in the perch it goes.

A 3ft rod is $10. Makes a lot of 2” bolts.
Thanks for the tip!

I've still got half the current batch of hanger bolts left, but now, they will also be the last.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Oo! The wood is here, and wow is it pretty! I’m super pleased with the branch choices made for me, lots of perching areas like I requested.

They’re pretty stable on their own but I crisscrossed the pieces together to help it stay in place. If it looks wobbly, I’ll anchor it with some untreated hemp or some SS zips that y’all suggested.
I’ll be hanging a boing to the left once it arrives. Will add pics of that another day!

Gyl and Mimi gave it their beaks of approval, phew! They kindly volunteered to model the goods.
AFECC353-98AC-4D7E-A924-23689228B520.jpeg
A7A305A4-7322-4E0B-9DF5-961AA01A980C.jpeg

And I caught baby Gylfie looking mighty pleased with her domain. ;)
53CF92F7-4963-4E5A-BDB1-C6263CDB74C0.jpeg

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Even if it looks really stable, it might be a smart idea to add a few anchors so if those busy beaks chew through something important or land hard, the wood is less likely to shift or fall over. Grapewood is nice thick wood and can be pretty heavy. Wouldn't want it to fall on anybody.

And it looks great up there! The manzanita perches in my aviary also came from Blooms and Branches (as well as the ghostwood in my terrarium). They provide excellent branches and great customer service.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Which branches did you end up buying? Link please? Pretty please, for the lazy??

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Which branches did you end up buying? Link please? Pretty please, for the lazy??
Lol!! I went with sandblasted grapewood, both were 24” - here’s a link!