• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you feel about feather protectors? Have you ever used them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I specialize in feather pickers but I have some concerns about Apollo my new Scarlet. I will be bathing him and giving him lots and lots to chew. I have helped stop a lot of plucking from using phone books. He does not pluck, and pull them out. He is barbering, just snipping them off of his chest and back. My concern is if all else doesn't work, I would like to try a feather protector. I have never used those before and I was wondering if he would #1 just chew it off, or #2 focus on the tops of his wings, and tail because he can't get to his other spots?

Has anyone used the feather protectors (or sock things) and did they work?

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
It sounds like he would just chew the FP off himself; but it's worth a shot? I think thte FP coupled with what you already said you'd want to try with him would keep him busy and comfortable enough to leave it be, though.

Course, my Quaker chews her FlightSuit clean off herself, and she isn't a plucker... =/

It would make me wonder if having the FP there would give her something else to chew on rather than her own feathers, though?

Plus, the FP have added reinforcement inside them to at least try to discourage chewing. Who knows, though, that might even make it more fun to chew.

Last edited:

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
In the past I was against the cones-and various neck braces and I really am still not into the idea of using those. I think it would freak most birds out-plus how utterly uncomfortable! I think those should be reserved for mutilators.

I was introduced to the sock buddy on this forum-I haven't tried anything like that on Chico-but it seems to work for some people. I don't necissarily think these are bad ideas-I think it depends on the bird. I would sort of be afraid, knowing my brave little bird-that he'd freak out and hurt himself trying to chew it off, but it's seemed to work for other parrots. :) May not hurt to try, if that's the kind of thing you were referring to.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I didn't have any luck with Harper. She hated it! And I don't blame her. All I know is I would never do a collar, unless it was a last resort. They just limit their mobility and natural behaviors too much in my experience. We had some luck with fleece sweaters at the rescue with our mutilators. We only used them if it was a serious behavior though. For the most part, birds actually let their feathers grow in at the rescue. I think having all the other birds around really help their self esteem.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think MysticsMom Tanya.. uses some kind of a sock sweater on some of her parrots. It is very neat.:cool1:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I sell the Parrot Wrapz. They are very well made and have been very well received. However, you have to train your bird to wear them just like you would a harness. If you do this, they work very well and my customers are very happy with them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I believe its harder to stop a bird from over preening and barbering than it is for a plucker.

I think plenty of out of cage time, and a big cage (and he definitely has that!), good diet and things to CHEW and play with will help him a lot.

I also noticed being OUTDOORS helps a lot of feather chewers!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I believe its harder to stop a bird from over preening and barbering than it is for a plucker.

I think plenty of out of cage time, and a big cage (and he definitely has that!), good diet and things to CHEW and play with will help him a lot.

I do all of those things but I have ran into a lot of birds that just do it out of habit. I was sitting with him on my lap or on my arm and he was playing with a foot toy, then he would set the toy down and snip some more feathers and continue playing. I think it will be hard like breaking someone from bitting their nails. I was hoping that I could at least cover it until they grow back. He has a ton of toys and phone books and what not but still is snipping those feathers. But hay, it has only been a few days, I will only use the FP as a last resort :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

Being outdoors has also turned around a couple of the feather pluckers that I have purchased over the yrs. ... Also allowing some to have playmates or mates of their own species has caused them to stop plucking, in addition to having the ability to fully fly and have exposure to daily (or as often as possible) natural direct sunshine (not thru window glass). Natural outdoor humidity and rain showers are a plus too. Various rotated mind stimulating toys of all kinds also help immensely, especially the foraging toys (natural & man-made or should I say human made ;)).

A combination of all of the above (IMO & IME) will turn almost any bird around, from a plucker to a non-plucker -- if there is no unreversible feather follicle damage (etc.) of course.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Being outdoors has also turned around a couple of the feather pluckers that I have purchased over the yrs. ... Also allowing some to have playmates or mates of their own species has caused them to stop plucking, in addition to having the ability to fully fly and have exposure to daily (or as often as possible) natural direct sunshine (not thru window glass). Natural outdoor humidity and rain showers are a plus too. Various rotated mind stimulating toys of all kinds also help immensely, especially the foraging toys (natural & man-made or should I say human made ;)).

A combination of all of the above (IMO & IME) will turn almost any bird around, from a plucker to a non-plucker -- if there is no unreversible feather follicle damage (etc.) of course.
I agree about taking them outdoors I have 2 outdoor aviaries. However, I live in Ohio and there is currently about 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground that I why I am looking for other options for the time being.
Thank you:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.