• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you correctly cuddle a bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
I was wondering last night about all you big/medium bird owners. How do you cuddle your birds in a friendly way. But not in a sexual way? I'm kinda confused here. I know that toos like to be cuddled more. Is there a difference when cuddling a too and a macaw? The cuddling I'm talking about is like having the bird on your arm and you scratching its neck, or maybe having the bird on your chest and its head under your neck. Is that correct? Thanks in advance! :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Generally, scratching the head and neck or stroking the head is fine. You mainly just want to avoid embracing or other full body contact or stroking the body.

I also think that it depends somewhat on age--the stakes are higher with adult birds who could go into breeding mode. And, in this, as in everything else bird-related, each individual bird is different. I know of some macaws that have no problem with a little under the wing scratch, but for others, this would cause behavior problems. Know your bird, and try not to send any wrong signals, especially when/if the bird is hormonal, and you should be okay.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I cuddle Truely in the morning which means we snuggle with her on my chest with her head under my chin. I sing to her and give her kisses and I also stroke her widdle head. She is still a Juvi so I think were okay. I will monitor her as she matures and adjust our snuggle time accordingly.

Ginger

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Jaden i snuggle pretty much his neck up. I may "pet" his back or cup him to kiss him, but i dont stroke his back or under his wings at all.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It has a lot to do with the reaction that it illicits. If you are viewed as the "mate" then stroking is most likely to turn them on and invoke a sexual response. It you are just the "maid/butler/cook" then it may not.

The birds sexual organs are located on the back and under the wings so if you "stroke it" your liable to get a "rise". Naturally!!! :)

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I think it also is affected by when..as in the season it is also. I can't put Dustys harness on at the moment as she is hormonal and thinks me adjusting the harness under her wings is me getting fresh...so I have to wait till her hormones cool down.
I never pat her back, and don't actually cuddle her, though she does sometimes settle on my shoulder and go to sleep leaning against my head...which makes for a stiff neck if your sitting watching TV and are unable to move! Her loves are usually only head scratches and me singing to her.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I cuddle Truely in the morning which means we snuggle with her on my chest with her head under my chin. I sing to her and give her kisses and I also stroke her widdle head. She is still a Juvi so I think were okay. I will monitor her as she matures and adjust our snuggle time accordingly.

Ginger
This is how we do it :)

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
This is how we do it :)

Me too with my sun Rika. But the instant anyone touches her below the neck --it's body down , butt up and she backs up.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Yep no back rubbing. It changes you from companion to mate.

Shaney

Checking out the neighborhood
Royee, my Indian Ringneck and I have the best cuddles. I leave his cage open in the morning so he can come out when he wants. So I usually wake up and he's on my neck, squished up against my face, sometimes sleeping, sometimes just sitting there. Then he starts making his clucking sounds, telling me he wants to be pet. So i start to pet him and he puts his head down, all the while, cuddled up in my face. There's really nothing better to wake up to.[PB] 021.jpg [/PB]

Status
Not open for further replies.