• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do you cook oat groats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
How do you cook oat groats? And what else do you put in your bean/rice mash, besides, beans, brown rice, red pepper, cinnamon, white rice, barley, etc?

I just got a big 4 pound bag of raw oat groats yesterday at a small local grocery store (they are organic), but I got them for the fids bean/rice mix/mash. I was wondering how I cook them? Do I let them sit overnight, like you would do with beans?

I am trying to get my fids to eat more bean/rice mix/cooked foods, so I can make my pellets last twice as long. The birds really enjoy the bean/rice mix that I make and they always head straight for the bowl and start chowing down on the mash, hehe, even Sammy and the tiels do, LOL!

Thanks, Victoria:hug8:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
This is what I found:

For a creamy breakfast cereal, add 1 cup groats to 1 ¾ cup cold water and cook for one hour or until the liquid is absorbed and the oats are creamy and tender.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Thank you, Debbie! What other grains do you put in your mash?

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
V, I use 2 cups water to 1 cup oat groats, then simmer for 40-50 minutes. I don't soak them, I just rinse them well and then cook...

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Thank you, Debbie! What other grains do you put in your mash?
Let's see, last mash was soaked/cooked white northern beans, barley, whole oats, soaked then cooked popcorn (unpopped), blanched sweet potato, kale, cranberries, cinnamon.

Those birdies are tails up when that food hits the bowls!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
wow, that sounds basically like the mash I made today.
My mash I made today has, green split peas, pasta, peas, carrots, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, RPO, yellow split peas, green beans, barley, oat groats, and rice.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Was it mash making day? I made our 3 foods and froze today also. I make 3 different types of foods and freeze them, so I can mix it up. I make like a 2 day supply of each one..for 14 birds...then ...freeze in tupperware containers.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
I used 3 cups of rice, barley, oat groats, etc and after it cooked, it made 6 or 7 cups of mash, LOL! I was about to put in 6 cups of uncooked rice, etc, but my mom saw me and told me to not do as much, otherwise it would have gone over the top, LOL! When we got home a few hours ago, the rice, etc was at the top of the crock pot, with hardly any more water, LOL!

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
I also add quinoa, couscous, and steel cut oats. My fids love that combo, along with most of what you put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.