• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I train a bonded pair of birds?

Yen

Moving in
Hi, I’m a total newbie to training birds. I’m so confused about how to train a bonded pair of lovebirds. Any help would be very much appreciated!

I adopted two young lovebirds from a friend in mid December who couldn’t keep them anymore. Male (Blueberry) is about a year old and female (Asuri) is about 7 months old.

My friend taught Blueberry how to do step up, wings, spin and turn around the perch. He demonstrated it very well. That was before he bonded with Asuri. Now, he seems to have forgotten or not be willing to do any trick except step up. Is it possible for me to encourage Blueberry to remember the tricks he did? He’s a very smart bird and quite used to human interaction. He climbed on us by himself and explored us the same day we got him home.

Asuri is much shyer and my friend didn’t train her at all. She will come to my hand for treats with caution but will not step up. I’ve been trying to teach Asuri step-up but she’s distracted chirping and desperately looking for Blueberry during training. So I tried putting them together during her training session. But when they are together, they fight over the training treat that I’m offering Asuri to come to my hand. I’m really confused about how to train both birds now.

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara may have some suggestions since she has several adorable Lovies.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have four lovebirds
Two bonded straight away mango I had first before apple pie mango tameish will do trick land on my finger arm etc for millet apple pie will come close for millet but hasn’t flown on me yet teaching apple pie to turn around at min but as you say they do everything together so they kind of get in each others way and are more bothered about each other than anything I am doing
I will keep trying I think it’s just patience only give certain treats from you like millet sunflower seeds etc I’ve found fetches them closer and go from there

good luck we love pictures I especially love lovebird pictures

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup:
Take everything VERY slowly! One bird might me ready to move on while the might not be. If you push a bird it might slow down the process. I hope this helps :D
:goodluck:

Yen

Moving in
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and encouragement! It’s given me some assurance to keep trying to teach Asuri to step up. I really appreciate it. ☺ Blueberry (turquoise) and Asuri (light blue) say hi!
15706849-6D11-41C2-BEED-A7166BDBD32C.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and encouragement! It’s given me some assurance to keep trying to teach Asuri to step up. I really appreciate it. ☺ Blueberry (turquoise) and Asuri (light blue) say hi!
View attachment 420833
Oh my goodness they are adorable :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They are so gorgeous

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
They’re so cute :loveshower:

Yen

Moving in
Hi everyone, :) happiness! I think I’m making a bit of progress with Asuri. Today, I put her on a perch and with the help of a seed treat, she was able to put one foot on my finger. So what worked today (I hope it keeps on working!) is that I put Asuri on a perch for training and then distracted Blueberry by making him forage for seeds below the perch. So he was near enough to Asuri to be her security blanket but cannot immediately snatch her treat.

I would love to hear your sharing about your lovies, or to see some pics too! I think my babies are losing interest in chewing the box. How do you keep on finding things to entertain them?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi everyone, :) happiness! I think I’m making a bit of progress with Asuri. Today, I put her on a perch and with the help of a seed treat, she was able to put one foot on my finger. So what worked today (I hope it keeps on working!) is that I put Asuri on a perch for training and then distracted Blueberry by making him forage for seeds below the perch. So he was near enough to Asuri to be her security blanket but cannot immediately snatch her treat.

I would love to hear your sharing about your lovies, or to see some pics too! I think my babies are losing interest in chewing the box. How do you keep on finding things to entertain them?
That’s brill progress keep at it she will be soon stepping up :heart:

mine have lots of forgaging toys finger traps stuffed with millet mine love to chew so any shreddable toys are a hit they have boing perches outside there cages play stand

here’s a picture of my babies
D33E8662-5B5C-4E91-91F1-D233CFCBE7D7.jpeg
96598669-CACB-4D1C-B2F7-767426BA50FE.jpeg

Yen

Moving in
That’s brill progress keep at it she will be soon stepping up :heart:

mine have lots of forgaging toys finger traps stuffed with millet mine love to chew so any shreddable toys are a hit they have boing perches outside there cages play stand

here’s a picture of my babies
View attachment 420924
View attachment 420925
Aaaaah they are all so cute!!! :heart:

Thanks for sharing the pics and toys you use. It’s given me a much clearer idea of what I can do for my babies.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Aaaaah they are all so cute!!! :heart:

Thanks for sharing the pics and toys you use. It’s given me a much clearer idea of what I can do for my babies.
I can take pictures of their toys tomos for you

Yen

Moving in

Hi everyone! It’s been a long while. I’m really happy to report that Asuri is now finger tamed. What worked for me in the end was to focus on training her mate Blueberry and rewarding him with treats while completely ignoring her. It helped that Blueberry was ignoring her too. ☺She realised she was missing out on treats after a while and eventually decided to participate in the training sessions too.