• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I stop my conures from mating?

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
I just removed their nest box, but they’re still mating and the male is feeding the female. In their cage their is a box with a towel in there I put it there because my parents think that the female has a egg actually I don’t really know what they were thinking I just put the box in there bc they told me too. Should I just remove the box I don’t want any eggs I heard that birds can mate without laying any eggs, but like I don’t know can someone tell me what I should do.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
When you get eggs, take them out and boil them, either replace them with dummy eggs or place the cool boiled eggs back. Leave them until she abandons them.

You can't really stop them from mating, unless you separate them

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Yh I agree with Ali, if you want to stop it for sure, separate them :) Definitely remove the nest. Also moving stuff eg.toys around the cage often may deter her from laying.

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There is no need to punish them for mating by separating them unless they are harming each other.
Mating is very normal and natural for them and you can boil the eggs and return them when cooled or replace them with dummy eggs as Ali said.
If you have a box or any nesting type material then you will likely increase the chances they will end up with eggs as you are giving them a nice nesting spot..... kinda like encouraging them.
You do not have to supply a nice comfy nest spot just because they are mating- you would normally only do that if you wanted to breed really.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, if you want to stop it for sure, separate them
Before we slice their sex ilfe, remember that mating is a huge stress reliever. They can release all sexual tensions they have. To house them seperate could make the birds unhappy and sexually frustrated.
Separating a bonded pair is only an option when there are fights and one or both birds are in danger, or in some cases of chronic layers.

Stick to focusing on the eggs for now. They don´t need a box, even when they lay, they are fine on the floor. If you see the hen brooding her dummy/boiled eggs, you could offer a small shallow dish or something with some wood shavings in for comfort but wait until brooding because some hens lay an egg or two and have no desire to brood.

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
Thanks everyone I’ll remove the box ,My bird layed a egg yesterday she wasn’t that interested in it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They’re often not interested till they pay the whole clutch. Don’t remove the egg yet

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
They’re often not interested till they pay the whole clutch. Don’t remove the egg yet
... they did lay a egg yesterday, but I accidentally broke it so I didn’t notice the egg was in the box and I was going to remove the box and when I took the towel out the egg just dropped on the cage tray

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
So what I mean when I said she wasn’t interested is that after I realised there was a egg if the egg was in the box hours ago it’s just she didn’t go near the box

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
Wait so should I remove the box

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Remove the box so you’re not encouraging them to lay- they will lay without the box anyway.
They don’t ever bother with the eggs till they lay a full clutch.... then they sit on them after they have laid all the eggs they want to sit on and hatch.
If you remove the eggs now you’ll only trigger the hen to lay more to replace the lost ones.

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
My macaw laid eggs about every other month until she was over 40. I wasn't concerned, only about
egg-binding and when occasionally the egg shell was soft. I worried about her calcium level at
that point, but my vet said to leave the egg(s) for a week, then take them out. She didn't seem to care.
I tried a fake egg a few times, but she wasn't interested.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an older thread and the original poster hasn't logged in since September 2020. They're unlikely to see your response.