• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I stop excessive humping??

Rebekka

Meeting neighbors
Little Fig (he's about 5months old now) is not so little anymore I guess. I got him a fluffy sleeping tent for the first time, and instead of sleeping in it, he's constantly on top of it and humps till he's too tired to continue. He doesn't do it during out-of-cage play time but when he's in the cage, he would only stop for food and water. Didn't want to interfere at first thinking it's just natural, but after I saw that his bum feathers were rubbing off and falling out till I could see the down feathers only in that region, I took the tent out. Now he doesn't hump anything in his cage, but he has resorted to humping my hand during playtime!!! He would go on for 12 minutes straight if I let him (um it was only once!!!) And he would constantly regurgitate and try to feed me. Do you think he's lonely or is it just the hormones telling him what to do? How should I discourage the humping and regurgitating? :eek:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Are you sure its humping?

My guys hump. And its over and done with after a minute or two. A 12 min hump session sounds insane. Id be concerned its a medical problem thats causingis toosh to be itchy. Parasites maybe? And it only appears like humping but may be butt itching.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My lovebird is a ' humper' too. , take away rope perches, cause your lovie will want to hump that too. Anything soft too. My lovie seems to only hump when it's breeding time. After that he's back to his usual self.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I taught my Meyers to "hump" a small suffed teddy bear instead of my hand; he used it to the day he died, many years on down the line. My other birds sometimes land on my head or hand and do a hump; usually quickly and over and I don't mind, really. They need some type of outlet for their sexual feelings. I have birds who have mates and have real sex; I have others that pick inanimate objects as well. As long as they are not bloodying their vents with masturbation, I let them alone. If they bloody their vent, I remove the object and try to give them an alternate object to use that is not so... abrasive.

Rebekka

Meeting neighbors
@Bokkapooh I think he really was humping, not any health issues! He stops doing it altogether if there's nothing soft in his cage, but once he's out, he starts humping on my hand non-stop so that's the problem! >< He's getting better though!
@Laurul Feather Cat I'm teaching him to redirect it to the objects I give him and it's working well!! Wow they must have done it with real passion to have bloodied their vents ouch!!:eek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd move my hand :p

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'd move my hand :p
True story. :lol:
When Peanut get's hormonal and wants to display to my hands non-stop (not humping mind you, the hen thing) I sit on/hide my hands for a few seconds, usually I'll try to refocus her on something else, like a shredding toy. For males, maybe offer something you are okay with him humping?
Then I repeat as necessary (so basically, repeat continuously) until she decides to do something else.

When hiding my hands didn't work (usually because she was going for my head at that point) I'd just move her to a play area and give her something else to do, even if it was just some millet, to try and get the idea out of her head for a little while.

Boys will be boys though, so I don't know how well any of that will work. Worth a shot?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
We are all aware of what one feels like when one does NOT have a sexual outlet. Remember being horney teenagers? People who keep their birds as unmated single birds have to expect their "babies" to grow up, and then pick their owners as their mates; it is inevitable: they have no other options available to them. The bird's only outlet is masturbation and not allowing this outlet for them is cruel and psychologically damaging; in my opinion. That is why I taught my Meyers to use a small suffted bear as his outlet for sex. It worked great and he went back to that toy every time he needed relief. He would come to me first, singing to me, courting me even trying to mate with my hands. I would prevent him from consumating the sex and then he would go and use the bear. He was a very happy birdy until he died six years later.

We can't even neuter our birds and decrease their sexual cravings as we do dogs and cats. So if a tiel or a lovie or a budgie comes to me and humps my head a few times and gets off, I do not get upset; I let them finish and got their way. I know you guys feel I am wierd about this attitude, but in my view it is only fair to the birds. Most of my birds pick same-species mates and they take care of themselves. The few who don't, a tiny depost of sperm on the hand or head is no problem for me.

One thing rehabilitation nurses learn that many other nursing disciplines don't teach is the inherent need for sexual release, present in all living things. We are taught how to assist our patients to reclaim their sex lives after or even during their physical rehab period. It is my belief I am making my birds much happier by giving them this outlet. If you can't in all conscious put up with their sexual acts on your hand, fine; find them a representative object and just slowly insert it between your hand and the bird. The bird will eventually change his focus and the object will be his lover, while you remain his loving owner.

Ellencc

Checking out the neighborhood
This is absolutely fascinating. I never knew that parakeets humped. Mine has been getting in my hair and I thought he was trying to make a nest, but now I know it's a sexual thing. I'm going to have to get him something else to hump on besides my head. Thank you so much for all of these comments as I'm learning more and more all the time about my boy, Stormy. I was told he was a girl when I first got him but now that he has a blue cron I now know I have a boy.