• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I offer bee pollen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I picked some bee pollen granules up yesterday at the health food store, just wondering how you usually offer it to your fids? Can I mix it into their mash, for example?

I've read that it's supposed to help boost immunity? I think that will be good for Monkee especially, since we're trying to strengthen her immune system (she battled recurring yeast growth for months).

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Heat destroys the potency. I have a seperate dish that I offer Herb Salad, Milk Thistle seed and Bee pollen in.

Ginger

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I will put in in a small bowl as shown below. And I'll also sprinkle it on any food the bird will eat.

Attachments

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Thanks, Ginger and Susanne:)

Can they eat too much of it? Should I measure out how much they get, or just let them eat what they want of it?

I serve their mash cold (I defrost it in the fridge overnight then serve in the morning) or slightly warmed in the microwave, so there shouldn't be a problem with heat destroying it there.

Maybe I'll just put a little in their pellet/seed bowls, what do you guys think?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Try some in a separate dish to see if he will eat it first. If he doesn't like it, it could put him off eating other foods that it has been added to.

Go over you diet...look at the ingedients. What you are looking for is how many foods have protein in them. If you have alot of sources of protein try and offer just one favorite that has the lowest protein levels daily, and any other foods with protiens just a couple times a week.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby gets bee pollen mixed in with her milk thistle and flax seed every morning. It took her about a week to start liking it and now she eats it right away.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I use bee pollen like sprinkles over my fruits and veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.