• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I mount a nesting box inside the bird cage

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
I know, dont provide your budgie with nesting boxes... but she sleeps in it every night. how do i mount it onto the inside of the cage

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Given you say she is a she, I would not add one. She might like a large platform perch to sleep on, or a natural branch.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
I cant remove it, i just cant, also i have three eggs that are all fertile, i cant let them die, i dont have an incubator so... im kinda stuck in that position too (i rescued the eggs too.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m not sure I understand. You brought home a single, female budgie just recently, she has somehow managed to lay eggs and is roosting already? How old is she? How do you know her eggs are fertile? Forgive me, but this is very confusing. Could you tell us a bit more about your girl?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yes please do tell us more about this situation...Also nesting boxes are all different; some have hooks, some have things you have to tie, some have something else to attach it. Or are you asking about where you should place it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How do you know they are fertile? Did you candle them? Or are you just guessing?

Something isn't right here.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
THE BUDGIE DID NOT LAY EGGS. i found three small sized eggs, out in my yard, the nest was all torn apart and the mother was gone, watched them for about 4 hours, then decided to pick them up. I have them outside, they are in a container in 90 degree weather. im hoping since she sleeps in the nesting box every night that she can sit on the eggs in there. she was very interested when i showed her the eggs, she has a strong urge to sit on these round things.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I highly suggest you not take wild bird eggs into your home. Let mother nature deal with this situation. Your budgies will be at high risk if you bring the eggs inside. What you you do if a very large bird hatches?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would add that you do not know if the hen who laid those eggs was healthy. If you want to incubate the eggs, I would hope you could do so without getting your new budgie involved. You can DIY an incubator for the eggs. YouTube is amazing for things like that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So do you don't know what species they are?

Some birds have very different food needs and your budgie is not going to be able to be a proper surrogate to most wild birds, meaning they may be malnourished and fail to thrive. Not to mention, many will grow larger than your bird which is not only a strain on her physically while she tries to feed them, but she potentially could be inadvertently injured.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
when i first got the budgie, she laid an egg and the eggs are just about the same size or smaller than that egg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you don't know the species of baby bird, you will almost certainly end up feeding them the wrong diet. This will lead to all sorts of problems - failure to thrive, metabolic bone disease, Angel wings and even death. I once met a bird with angel wings at a rescue; as the link says, it's caused by feeding a chick the wrong diet that is deficient in essential nutrients. The goose I met could never fly and will live out her life on the ground in a rescue.

Raising wild chicks also risks them imprinting on you, or at least becoming far too accustomed to humans. These birds would not be good candidates for release because they will not be sufficiently wary of humans. They won't know how to find food in the wild, how to deal with poor weather and how to take care of themselves. Wildlife rehabilitators spend a lot of time preparing handraised chicks for a life in the wild. It takes a lot of resources and expertise. What exactly are you planning to do with them once they mature? You cannot simply release them once you think they are old enough - that is condemning them to death.

Really the only advice I can give is to contact your nearest wildlife rehabilitator and seeing what they say. They will probably say to let the embryos pass away. It is sad, but not nearly as sad as condemning a chick to death because of an inexperienced handrearer.

Egg laying in female birds can come with a host of problems, including calcium depletion and egg binding. Generally we want to discourage our female birds from nesting and laying eggs because it is so hard on their bodies. Take out that nestbox and do some reading and learning.

Last edited:

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
THE BUDGIE DID NOT LAY EGGS. i found three small sized eggs, out in my yard, the nest was all torn apart and the mother was gone, watched them for about 4 hours, then decided to pick them up. I have them outside, they are in a container in 90 degree weather. im hoping since she sleeps in the nesting box every night that she can sit on the eggs in there. she was very interested when i showed her the eggs, she has a strong urge to sit on these round things.
I'm sorry. I get the feeling that you're a young person.

I remember when I was younger, I felt a tremendous obligation when I saw an animal that needed help, that it was my responsibility to help it.

As I got older, I realized that nature doesn't really work in a way that lines up with that desire to help all the things we see that need it.

When you took responsibility for Bluberry you promised her you'd do what's best for her. Incubating these eggs, without a male to share the burden with her, isn't in her best interest.

If you can't turn your back on these eggs, then as @tka suggests, reach out to a local wildlife rehabilitation program and follow their advice. They do what they do because they care about creating the best outcomes for as many of the creatures that come their way as possible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
ok, ill give the eggs up :(
That is awesome! Perfect time to give the nest box away too!! These things (random outside eggs and nest box) are a serious danger your birds health and well-being. Best to make choices for her as soon as possible that will set her up for long term health and happiness.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sometimes decisions are very difficult, especially when you are young. You will have many in you life and just now you made a decision that will be best. Sometimes nature can be cruel but we humans must stay out of it. I am proud of you!