• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I know if Paco is getting enough to eat?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I've searched forums before posting and didn't see anything. I give him veggies and fruit in the morning and at 6 at night. Took him off the Harts Parrot diet food and now gets Nutri Berries twice a day in addition to crumbled up Avi Cakes and a little of Harvest Parrot food, has a variety of seeds, no sunflower. He just acts like he could eat all day or is this normal?

Do they get bored with the same veggies? I try to switch it up with carrots, green pepper, red pepper and corn on the cob. Now he tosses everything. I'm running out of veggies to try. Won't go near leafy greens, peas, string beans or pellets.

He did like bananas and now tosses them. Will eat apple. One frustrated bird mom right now.

Road trip went well, perch fell once when I had to hit brakes to avoid accident, I hate NOVA traffic, but he got back right on perch. He did better then I did. Don't think I want to do that route again. He even learned when I said bump bump he knew we were getting a little rough road. I did slow down too.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have Amazons that are far from fat.

I just leave dry pellets in cage because if I'm hungry, I want food. I believe they would too. Just my own opinion though.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I wasn't to sure about that. I read somewhere (joined a few groups since I got Paco) That a bird will not eat and will starve if they don't like the food.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wasn't to sure about that. I read somewhere (joined a few groups since I got Paco) That a bird will not eat and will starve if they don't like the food.
Mine eat when we're eating. They get fresh veggies (chop), they get senior nutriberries AND the pellets.

I spoil my guys and love every minute of it. I also hold food container when MC is on my lap and hold a container up to Secret. When Secret is full, she will still eat a little if I put it on a spoon. (Don't tell hubby)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My birds always have access to food 24/7. My cockatiel definitely got bored with the same veggies. I had to switch it up pretty often for him. With Elvis, he only likes certain ones. So my challenge with him is trying to get him to eat different one. So, I guess it depends on the bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
High Potency Harrisons pellets are great for grays. Best way to monitor his intake is to get a gram scale and teach him to stand on it and then get his weight. Record the weights and look for patterns.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco has only been with me for 9 weeks. He just started getting out of his cage a week ago. He was cage bound for 6 years. I do switch up his veggies. We are still in the experiment stage, finding out what he likes. He was on a seed diet only. After 2 serious bites we are working on step up and he will do that. I did get him to eat to pellets today. Happy dance. I have Roudy Bush. I do make sure he has food at all times, it just seems like he does eat a lot but I'm ok with that, glad he has a healthy appetite.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I will have to check it out. I mean there is nothing wrong with his appetite, my experience is with a wild caught Amazon on a seed diet, Cockatiels, Love Birds and Parakeets. He eats everything I give him, well unless he is bored with a veggie. When I leave him during the day I just want to make sure he isn't hungry. It seems like I could feed him all day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, birds can starve themselves if they don't recognize food as food. I have always left pellets I know my bird is eating available 24/7. Some birds DO overeat but honestly most don't. Most birds that are overweight because of the type of food they are eating, not the quantity :) Birds tend to eat 15 to 20% of their body weight daily, and if they didn't have a good diet before we got them they seem to eat more to make up the nutritional differences, I think!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
The poor guy has had a rough life. I know the woman that had him for 6 years, well not know her real well, he was cage bound for 6 years. He was on Hartz Parrot food, seed and is terrified of new things. Poor thing almost lost it today when he saw an ear of corn. He is getting better, loves most fruit, likes peppers, broccoli, will eat squash sometimes, and carrots. Not a big fan of leafy veggies. He seems happy, gets a misted shower 2x a week, avi cakes, nutri berries, and been leaving him pellets, clean cage daily and have converted him from a water bottle (thought those things were for Guinea Pigs) to a water bowl. Last night I squished a grape on the pellets and he ate a few. I can't imagine why people get a bird and leave it in a filthy cage, no fresh food or exercise? Well, he is with me now and will spend the rest of his life living like a king. I just have lots to learn about their behavior since I have his diet on the right track.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Lady Jane I did look at that website thank you. The prices aren't through the roof, I've seen some up in the hundreds and that just isn't in my budget right now.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're doing great with him in my opinion

birdlover123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nick
I had a rescued grey who had only ever eaten sunflower seeds and was one of those that would have sooner starved to death than try eating something unfamiliar. It took months to get her onto corn, which became the next addiction. I couldn't get her to eat the most important thing though - pellets. My vet suggested wetting the pellets slightly so they would stick to the corn and seeds (seed intake was drastically cut but served as a good vector for soggy pellets) and eventually she got into the pellets too.

I'm thinking the wet-sticky technique could be used to introduce other kinds of food to your bird's diet too.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I offer different things and rotate what I give. I don't offer a bowl of a bunch of different things with Sophie.

One night on the playstand she will get peas. Afternoons when I am home mid afternoon, she will a slice of pear, a chunk of sweet potato. She loves pepper seeds, so she gets the pepper top.

I try to offer her things she will take readily. She won't pick from a bowl, she likes to be given her fresh foods.

The Amazons will get a mixed bowl of fresh chopped veggies and fruit.

Keep offering all kinds of things. Finding their favs gets pretty easy if you offer a simple amount. And don't forget the Red Palm Oil. Very important for grey's. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Hi Claire! How have you been? I did notice that Paco seems to be afraid of the stainless steel bowl, however he does eat his veggies. The last two days he loved red grapes, this morning he threw them to the floor. Just a little frustrated at the moment. I am try to sprout some beans and see how that works. I thought of a hanging veggie skewer, although I'm pretty sure he would be afraid of it.

I will keep offering him different foods and watch his progress. I have noticed his diet has helped his feathers, after a spritz (the entire water bottle) hes feathers are smooth and colorful. He has downy feathers coming in on his legs and chest where he had plucked.

How do I give him the Red Palm Oil?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi Claire! How have you been? I did notice that Paco seems to be afraid of the stainless steel bowl, however he does eat his veggies. The last two days he loved red grapes, this morning he threw them to the floor. Just a little frustrated at the moment. I am try to sprout some beans and see how that works. I thought of a hanging veggie skewer, although I'm pretty sure he would be afraid of it.

I will keep offering him different foods and watch his progress. I have noticed his diet has helped his feathers, after a spritz (the entire water bottle) hes feathers are smooth and colorful. He has downy feathers coming in on his legs and chest where he had plucked.

How do I give him the Red Palm Oil?
Hi! I am good :D

You can give the red palm oil in birdie bread, or do like I do and place a few pellets, or dry fruit, or nuts ;)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have to use recipes, I'm useless.