• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I know if my budgies have an enlarged crop?

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Saw a post on here where someone mentioned their bird had an enlarged crop. Since it's always good to be prepared in case, how would I know what this looks like on a budgie/warning signs?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This would best be diagnosed by an avian vet if you are concerned. @Britnicorn

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If the crop protrudes past the abdomen when not completely full or for long periods of time, or looks saggy at all, the crop is too big. If you think your bird's crop is too big I would bring to the vet, an over-sized crop can be caused from yeast and other infections (my budgie's was caused from yeast as well as me overfeeding him when he was still being handed). Certain medications can cause crops to sag too

I wouldn't say there are any warning signs or things to avoid (Other than the stuff that comes with yeast or other ailments that can cause an over-sized crop) An oversized crop by itself is a condition, not an illness, and it's rare for it to develop on its own (again, yeast can cause it) in adult birds. Usually, it happens to babies while their crop is still growing and they get overfed