• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I keep treats from falling out of foraging activities?

Colibri

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
This might be a dumb questions, but what have others done to prevent the "prize" from falling out of a hanging foraging toy and falling down between the bars at the bottom of the cage where the birds can't reach them? I feel bad when I stuff a foraging toy with seeds or millet and when the birds shred enough to reach the treat, they become dislodged and fall onto the ground.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If your cage allows you to remove the grate, you could do that, or you could put something like a piece of paper, cardboard, or a tray or dish of some sort under the toy to catch it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
On a tangent, you could try sticking treats to the toy with a little red palm oil.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You could also place a plate or tray under the toy.

Contains the mess while allowing access to the goodies. And if it is a paper plate, it might double as a fun toy to chew/shred for some birds.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m a big meanie and the treats I put in my foraging toys have to be eaten from the toy in bite size pieces. They can’t just be pulled out and fall onto the floor.

I freeze small chunks of fruit and nuts/seed into ice blocks that the bird has to work at and wait for melting too- that seems to help the ones who forage and drop stuff.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I put treats in the foraging toys that can’t fall out- bigger items that need to have beak size bits busted off them from inside the toy. Very little waste then! Burt hardly ever retrieves food from the floor no matter how awesome and big it is so if it falls out it’s rubbish.
The only time I use treats small enough to fall out of foraging toys are when they’re hung on the stands I have that are out of the cage- they can only fall to a table top or the cage play top.

Colibri

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
I put treats in the foraging toys that can’t fall out- bigger items that need to have beak size bits busted off them from inside the toy. Very little waste then! Burt hardly ever retrieves food from the floor no matter how awesome and big it is so if it falls out it’s rubbish.
The only time I use treats small enough to fall out of foraging toys are when they’re hung on the stands I have that are out of the cage- they can only fall to a table top or the cage play top.
What are your favorite treats to put into forage toys? What works well?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What are your favorite treats to put into forage toys? What works well?
I mainly set up foraging activities for Burt as he’s the one needing to be kept busy so it’s fairly easy for me really- he gets nuts in shell, dried chilli, plain ice cream cones (he loves to crunch them but doesn’t actually eat them lol) mini capsicums (when they’re available) chunks of pumpkin or any other veg, bird bread, pellets- basically anything he will eat and sometimes I just fill the forage toys with bits of broken toys. Warmer weather I sometimes put frozen bits of food into the water for him to fish out- have to change his water often anyway so no biggie that it gets played in lol.