• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do i get my lovebird kermit to not think i am its mare?

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
i read its possible online so i think he does feel that way. Before i knew alot i did scratch under his wings and his back. But after i searched for it i just started to only pat his head, cheeks and under his beak. At first i thought he was scared of the cage what might be also the case. But whenever i leave home or even my room he starts to scream for me. I dont know what to do. Should i get another pet bird so he will be busy and active with the other one?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Should i get another pet bird so he will be busy and active with the other one?
I wouldn't get another bird just so that Kermit stops thinking of you as his mate. He might not bond with the new bird, and then you would still you have your problem, and another bird! But if you wanted and were prepared for another bird, then yes, that could be an option.

@Zara has many lovebirds and should be able to help you. I also have lovebirds, but I have never had to deal with this problem. Good luck! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so i think he does feel that way.
What makes you think that?
Is he feeding you? (trying to regurgitate for you/near you/on you/around you)
Is he doing the clicky dance?
Is he trying to mate you?

For all three of the above, I never ever allow it. If I have a bird do that, then I just ignore them and remove myself from the situation.
Don´t ignore them and let htem carry on, because that is saying it is ok, which it is not.

I had my first bird do this once or twice when he was a few years old. And I had my second male do this as a youngster a couple of times. They learned very quickly that I have no interest in being their bonded partner, and so ventured off to find a pair elsewhere.

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I wouldn't get another bird just so that Kermit stops thinking of you as his mate. He might not bond with the new bird, and then you would still you have your problem, and another bird! But if you wanted and were prepared for another bird, then yes, that could be an option.

@Zara has many lovebirds and should be able to help you. I also have lovebirds, but I have never had to deal with this problem. Good luck! :)
Thanks! If only i had seen the video a bit faster id be able to avoid it now it wont stop it even sleeps in the cage hanging side ways

Celery

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
What makes you think that?
Is he feeding you? (trying to regurgitate for you/near you/on you/around you)
Is he doing the clicky dance?
Is he trying to mate you?

For all three of the above, I never ever allow it. If I have a bird do that, then I just ignore them and remove myself from the situation.
Don´t ignore them and let htem carry on, because that is saying it is ok, which it is not.

I had my first bird do this once or twice when he was a few years old. And I had my second male do this as a youngster a couple of times. They learned very quickly that I have no interest in being their bonded partner, and so ventured off to find a pair elsewhere.
What made me think this way is when i was looking for him screaming when i werent around it had like these few donts and first ones were
Dont pat its back and lower. And i have been doing that till like close to two days ago. Now he has to be any second any minute on my back shoulders. Whenever i am not around i ask my parents to keep his cage open for a bit if he gets bored and he keeps chirping and enters every room in search for me is what they said. I also read hand feeding them should not be done and i have been doing that aswell