• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do i get my love birds to not lay eggs plz help

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
Um well i have 2 love birds there feeding each other and can’t live with out each other but i don’t want them to lay eggs what do i do and can you eat love bird eggs
Lol plz help me image.jpg

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Bonding and even mating behavior won't necessarily lead to eggs - and eggs can happen without it as well, even with just a single hen and no male in sight.

Limiting daylight hours and rearranging their cage can help curb their enthusiasm, though.
I suppose you could eat lovebird eggs, but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, if eggs happen give them a quick boil and return them to the birds to sit on until they get bored, otherwise the hen may keep laying more.

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
Bonding and even mating behavior won't necessarily lead to eggs - and eggs can happen without it as well, even with just a single hen and no male in sight.

Limiting daylight hours and rearranging their cage can help curb their enthusiasm, though.
I suppose you could eat lovebird eggs, but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, if eggs happen give them a quick boil and return them to the birds to sit on until they get bored, otherwise the hen may keep laying more.
Oh tysm

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Feather really summed it up well. All you have to do is remove any eggs laid, give them a quick boil and put them back where you found them once they are cooled down.
You could eat the eggs, but if you don´t have any dummy eggs, you will need the real egg to put back in the cage.
My birds feed their girlfriends year round, but don´t lay eggs all year round, just a few times a year. Even some of my birds mate and don´t lay eggs. They will lay when they lay. So don´t try to stop them feeding each other or mating, let them go through the motions.
And don´t offer any nests, if the hen wants to lay, she will do it on the cage floor and she will be fine, she doesn´t need a nestbox.

Do you know for sure one is a hen? Or one is a male?

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
I
Feather really summed it up well. All you have to do is remove any eggs laid, give them a quick boil and put them back where you found them once they are cooled down.
You could eat the eggs, but if you don´t have any dummy eggs, you will need the real egg to put back in the cage.
My birds feed their girlfriends year round, but don´t lay eggs all year round, just a few times a year. Even some of my birds mate and don´t lay eggs. They will lay when they lay. So don´t try to stop them feeding each other or mating, let them go through the motions.
And don´t offer any nests, if the hen wants to lay, she will do it on the cage floor and she will be fine, she doesn´t need a nestbox.

Do you know for sure one is a hen? Or one is a male?
dk my birds gender

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I

dk my birds gender
I posted some info about that on your other thread :)
(Sorry I only saw it after this one)

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Boiling the eggs is a great solution if you don’t have dummy eggs! I’d never thought of that for small birds. One thing I love about chickens is that they are big enough that I just stick golf balls in their nesting boxes! (To encourage them to lay there, not to get them sitting on them, but same idea.)

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
I want my birds to not lay eggs I don’t want to boil them and all lol cuz like it take a lot of work for a bird and you have to feed them a pacific diet and it comes with complications so how do I get them to not lay eggs btw there feeding each other and all that stuff

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Other than keeping the “day” short and separating the bonded pair? I’m really not sure. Keeping fake eggs (or boiled eggs) in there for 21 days really is the best thing I know.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I want my birds to not lay eggs
Then you have a big problem if you have a female bird.

A female bird will lay at some point or another. It is rare tehy don´t lay, or lay few eggs.

If you don´t want to boil the eggs, then you need to DNA test your birds. If you have a male/female pair, and you don´t want to remove eggs then thats a big problem. Even breeders remove some clutches of eggs so the birds can rest and recover between clutches.
If you DNA test your birds and they are male/male, then you won´t have any eggs.
If you have female birds, they will lay eggs sooner or later.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why do you not want to boil the eggs?
You do realise the eggs are just like any other eggs ¨we¨ cook and eat? I can post some pictures if that will help?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Other than keeping the “day” short and separating the bonded pair? I’m really not sure.
If one of those birds is a hen, then OP will have eggs at some point any way.

There is no way to stop a female bird laying eggs. And I don´t know why everyone is so frightened of eggs. Lovebirds actually do well laying eggs when given plenty of flight time and a variety of vegetables, pellets and seeds. Egg binding is more common amongst clipped birds, cage-bound birds, and birds on poor diet.

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
If one of those birds is a hen, then OP will have eggs at some point any way.

There is no way to stop a female bird laying eggs. And I don´t know why everyone is so frightened of eggs. Lovebirds actually do well laying eggs when given plenty of flight time and a variety of vegetables, pellets and seeds. Egg binding is more common amongst clipped birds, cage-bound birds, and birds on poor diet.
I agree with @Zara that you should not worry about eggs. I’ve only experienced one egg bound bird, and it was a chicken. I ended up sitting her in warm water and feeding her some calcium, and she passed it. I’ve had a LOT of various types of birds (Quail, doves, budgies, a Quaker, a Galah, tons of various breeds of chickens), so I’d say just once is a pretty good ratio there!

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m not saying it doesn´t happen. Yes we need to be aware of it, but we shouldn´t be constantly fearing it and looking for ways to ¨stop our lovebirds laying eggs altogether¨.

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
Then you have a big problem if you have a female bird.

A female bird will lay at some point or another. It is rare tehy don´t lay, or lay few eggs.

If you don´t want to boil the eggs, then you need to DNA test your birds. If you have a male/female pair, and you don´t want to remove eggs then thats a big problem. Even breeders remove some clutches of eggs so the birds can rest and recover between clutches.
If you DNA test your birds and they are male/male, then you won´t have any eggs.
If you have female birds, they will lay eggs sooner or later.
Um do 2 female birds feed each other or is that not possible

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Um do 2 female birds feed each other or is that not possible
That is possible. Same with two males.
If you have a male and a female, then the male usually feeds the female. Though I have a girl who tries to feed the male back (which is less common).

Lami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lamar
That is possible. Same with two males.
If you have a male and a female, then the male usually feeds the female. Though I have a girl who tries to feed the male back (which is less common).
[/QUOTE oh tysm