• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my budgies to eat bird chop from their bowl?

berrynkiwi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Hello
I've had my (2) budgies for 8 months now. They eat vegetables happily but when I make chop for them, they don't eat much, even though I use different the veggies (and grains) every 3 days. However, when I feed them veggies from my hand they eat all of it!. How do I get them to eat the chop I give them in their bowl/plate?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When you say feed veggies from your hand are you offering larger pieces ? If so put larger pieces in there bowls.

berrynkiwi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Hello
I feed them both larger pieces and smaller ones. When I give them the whole leaf they eat most of it and when I give them small pieces they still eat it. Thanks for the advice though, I'll try giving them bigger pieces!

Winn

Jogging around the block
I've had my (2) budgies for 8 months now. They eat vegetables happily but when I make chop for them, they don't eat much, even though I use different the veggies (and grains) every 3 days. However, when I feed them veggies from my hand they eat all of it!. How do I get them to eat the chop I give them in their bowl/plate?
If they eat seeds or pellets maybe put a small amount of chop in their bowl and sprinkle some seeds or pellets or top. They will get a taste of the chop while eating their "regular food". I did this for about a week with my birds (first morning feeding when they were hungriest) and they were eating their chop without seeds after that. Some birds just don't like veggies, so it doesn't always work.