• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my budgies to accept more vegies?

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
(Not sure if this belongs here or in the health one so I’m sorry if this three is posted in the wrong forum)

my budgies are on pellets after it took a while to convert them from the seed diet they where in before I got them. now and I’d like to get them onto some more vegetables. Right now they only accept spinach but they LOVE spinach so yea.

mid anyone knows and good ways to introduce new vegies to them I’d love some advice!!! ❤❤❤

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Once my budgies started eating a fresh vegetable, I mixed a new with that one and hung it in their cage. They didn't nibble it right away but they did eventually. Then I hung the new vegetable by itself and they ate it. Like everything with budgies, it takes time.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Lady Jane
@finchly

I hope they are still getting some seed... This is an important part of their diet. I tagged 2 lady's whom, are the budgie peeps to talk to... There are others but my brain is fuzzy & I cannot think of who else to tag @ the moment.

I cannot remember what the proper amts are as far as a certain % of fresh, a certain % of seed & a certain % of pellet, for a budgie. Unless your veterinarian has recommended domething due to a specific health issue for your birds, the standard %'s should apply. Seed is healthier when sprouted. So a combination of sprouted & unsprouted seed us ok, you just have to work thru the combination of %'s that equal the totals (give or take a little).

Also as far as fresh is concerned as your budgies gain respect & trust for you it'll be easier to get them to take food from you. If your fids are newer to you this can take a bit of time. I'm talking months not days or weeks & persistence is key. Every day same meal time for awhile can help w/ this. Like pellets for breakfast, seeds for lunch & fresh for dinner... If that makes sense. However it works best for your household.

Hope tjus all makes sense!

:hug8:Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I started feeding a few chopped veggies, not more than three, and served them in a shallow dish for better foraging. It was carrots, broccoli and kale. Spinach should be fed sparingly as it is a high oxalate food. At first i usually sprinkled a few millet seeds on top of veggies. Took my budgies about two weeks to eat veggies along with the millet seeds. Yes some food got wasted but end result was they ate veggies. Also you can make birdie bread and put most any veggie in the mix. Important to include yellow\orange veggies in the diet for vitamin A as many birds are deficient in A.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get my budgies to eat new veggies simply by cutting it up into the vegetables they already like. After a few days, they try some.
My birds will also try pretty much anything I offer to them by hand, so if your bird trusts you enough, you can introduce new veggies that way.
Also, try broccoli. My budgies love it. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Try chopping it smaller
Try sprinkling seed on it
Try wetting pellets and stirring them in
Try mixing it with boiled egg
Offer mashed cooked sweet potato ( warm is even better)

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also forgot to mention that the way you cut the vegetables makes a difference. For example, my budgies refuse to eat carrots unless they are finely grated. Every other vegetable I've offered them they will eat finely chopped. They won't eat any vegetables that have been through the blender.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some ideas:

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
Yes
@Lady Jane
@finchly

I hope they are still getting some seed... This is an important part of their diet. I tagged 2 lady's whom, are the budgie peeps to talk to... There are others but my brain is fuzzy & I cannot think of who else to tag @ the moment.

I cannot remember what the proper amts are as far as a certain % of fresh, a certain % of seed & a certain % of pellet, for a budgie. Unless your veterinarian has recommended domething due to a specific health issue for your birds, the standard %'s should apply. Seed is healthier when sprouted. So a combination of sprouted & unsprouted seed us ok, you just have to work thru the combination of %'s that equal the totals (give or take a little).

Also as far as fresh is concerned as your budgies gain respect & trust for you it'll be easier to get them to take food from you. If your fids are newer to you this can take a bit of time. I'm talking months not days or weeks & persistence is key. Every day same meal time for awhile can help w/ this. Like pellets for breakfast, seeds for lunch & fresh for dinner... If that makes sense. However it works best for your household.

Hope tjus all makes sense!

:hug8:Rain & Buddy :mrha:
they do. There current feeding plan is:

Chop for breakfast (though therestill learning to eat new vegies but there learning fast and well :) )as well as a healthy amount of sprouted seeds for them

then there are some non sprouted seeds that I put in foraging toys ect.

and then they have pellets for dinner

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is a vendor here that carries sprinkles which are freeze dried veggies that are made to just sprinkle onto ir into new foods. I just remembered, so I'm sorry I didn't mention them sooner.

@Nikomania (Any advice here?)

This is her shop: