• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do i get my budgies into a new carrier?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to how to get my two budgies into their carrier to bring them to the vet. Neither of them are completely tame and Petey still won't let me touch him. Last time I brought them in a bigger cage and the vet told me I should bring them back in a smaller one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How soon is the vet appointment? I used to let my cockatiel play in his carrier. He thought it was fun and would go in by himself. My cockatoo does not think his carrier is fun, so I just have to scoop him up and put him in it. Or you can try putting the carrier against the cage with some millet in it and see if they go in. But that probably takes some time getting them used to doing.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I had to get a cage with enormous doors on it for a travel cage, and get them used to going in it by hanging millet all over and inside it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Train them to step up on a perch held in your hand. Add a little millet spray in your hand too. Shouldn’t take long.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
How soon is the vet appointment? I used to let my cockatiel play in his carrier. He thought it was fun and would go in by himself. My cockatoo does not think his carrier is fun, so I just have to scoop him up and put him in it. Or you can try putting the carrier against the cage with some millet in it and see if they go in. But that probably takes some time getting them used to doing.
I dont have a set appointment yet but the sooner i can get them in the better. I've already tried putting the carrier up against the cage with millet and they went on top of it but they wont go inside. My budgie Petey gets stressed out super easily so i wont be able to scoop him up.