• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I get my birds to get along?!?

Daniel D

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dan Dunne
Please help ! I have two green cheek conures and they are not getting along. I got Kanye first and he is going to be 1 in Oct I had him for about 5 months and I just got Pete about 1 month ago.

Kanye is a cinnomon green cheek and pete is a regular green cheek. pete i got from a store that isnt a big box and he was growing up in a cage with another green cheek at the store and he was happy with the other bird. Kanye is very wild but he is such a good boy but full of enegery. he never bites me he sits on my shoulder and he naps in my shirt, we are seriously best friends lol!!

i treat pete just the same with the same love and i feed them from my hand together sometimes. pete has gone on my shoulder from day 1 and was much more chill and easier to get him to like me. he looks at kanye like he wants to be his friend but he cant fly good yet. i dont ever get my birds clipped and i wont i have lots of room for them to fly and i work at an army base where they can fly in a large garage and get really high up. kanye has become such a great flyer and pete looks at him like he is amazed lol

kanye jumped on pete the first time i let them get close and i have not let them since.

i am not sure what to do. i may give pete away to my moms friend who cant afford a bird but wants one so badly that i thought would be nice to give him to her for free if they never get along.

i do not want to give pete up because i am totally in love with him too and i just want them to be best friends and fly around the rooms together

anyadvice i will hapily take and appriciate it !

i just want them to love eachotherrrrrr

Attachments

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum!

It may just take more patience and time.

It took about a year for a friend of mine after the 2nd was introduced before they become close (some aggression initially like your guys).

@Wardy how long did it take with your two and did you do anything specific to ease things along?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I imagine you are not instant friends with everyone you meet, correct? Just because you have a good friend, doesn't mean the very next person you meet will also be a good friend. Friendships take time.

Do they have separate cages? I would start with separate out of cage time so they can get used to each other from afar.

Daniel D

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dan Dunne
Welcome to the forum!

It took about a year for a friend of mine after the 2nd was introduced before they become close (some aggression initially like your guys).

@Wardy how long did it take with your two and did you do anything specific to ease things along?
thanks for the reply ! and thanks for putting me onto wardys page, a lot of great stuff there !!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Time, patience and slow safe introductions like having close but separate cages is the best way to go. Everything with birds is time and patience.

Just a thought.. as nice as the thought is of giving a bird for free to someone who cant afford one you really should consider and look at the ongoing costs of keeping birds including the rather expensive accessories and vet fees involved with bird ownership and also replacing many household items (pots, pans, appliances such as coffee makers and hair driers etc) to make sure that only safe things are used. The bird is in all honesty the cheapest part of bird ownership if things are being done correctly for the bird.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the forum!

After qt time both birds same room seperate cages ( mine still sleep and play in there own cages )
Initially both birds got seperate out of cage time, with my original bird always coming out first, she always got food and water first also.
After maybe two weeks i started letting them out together original bird let out first. ( i originally kept there out of cage time together to about 30 mins ). I kept a perch handy and to get between them if there was any aggression.
It took maybe 4-6 weeks before they started to get along without any aggression.

Mine still fight on occasion but on the whole they get along.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to the Avenue .

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
welcome to you and your 2 Green cheek conure.

I think you would do best to keep them both, it can be very beneficial to parrots to have another parrot around even if they aren't best buddies.

But with time I think they will grow closer. Some if parrots relationships to years to deepen to close bonds.

Seperate side by side cages. Set aside one on one time with each h one. And dime time as a group.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Hey!
I had a friend who had this problem as well. If they both have different cages, you can try placing the cages close together so they are 2-5 inches apart. this will allow them to see each other, and know that the other is not a threat to the. You can gradually start moving the cages closer as they get more familiarized with each other, until the cages eventually touch. If they dont attack each other through the cages , try taking them both out into a seperate room, because birds can be quite territorial about their cages and you dont want them fighting because the other gets too close.

It takes time to introduce birds to new things, but I know you can do it! You just need to have patience, and trust in your birds. ^^