• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I find a Hawkhead parrot?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not sure bout birds by Joe...they are hi priced & just never contacted them but they do seem to have everything which is questionable.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Not sure bout birds by Joe...they are hi priced & just never contacted them but they do seem to have everything which is questionable.

Questionable? They're a bird store, so they have a variety of species and supplies on hand.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous Parrots copied the information from the Birds by Joe website. Birds by Joe is a store located in New Jersey.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Not answering questions???
yeah, not answering questions. "who are you and where are you from; store or rescue" I am Micheal, we sell from home. do you want a male or female? then, we only have one available, the other 2 are sold.
Why ask if you want a male or female if you only have one, not like there is a choice.... Do you have the parents? answer, where are you from? How soon do you need the bird? It could be completely legitimate but I would have expected a text that said hi, you contacted us and I am Michael from Gorgeous Parrots. We do have one Hawk head available... Telling me first what is available then asking what I am looking for....just kinda feel like if I tell him what I am looking for he will magically have that.. And I just can't find a web footprint other than their site. No independent reviews, not on bbb, no pages that refer to them. I tried a reverse image but apparently I don't know how to do that...and he started texting about 10 pm their time. I would def need a vet reference to proceed any further, and one that I could call after verifying it is a vet...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The other photo came from here: - Part 3 (scroll down)
That picture kinda makes it a slam dunk that it is a scam. In A Pickle sent me a message that their baby is still available and they will call after 11. I am excited and will have many questions regarding male vs female aggression. And I am worried about another baby... In a Pickle seems to really focus on the hand raising so the baby is off to a good start.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Heading to clean myself up and then I'm heading to the bird fair with Daniel. I'll post what I find when I get back, hopefully will have photos too.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
In A Pickle sent me a message that their baby is still available and they will call after 11. I am excited and will have many questions regarding male vs female aggression. And I am worried about another baby... In a Pickle seems to really focus on the hand raising so the baby is off to a good start.
:fairy2:

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Hawkheads are the closest relative to the caique! From what I've seen the noise level is about the same (I think about perfect for a medium sized parrot!). They are beautiful. @camelotshadow , I haven't been on a whole lot, and I didn't realize that you had a new birdie in your life! How exciting! Now you have TWO of my favorite birds on AA!:heart:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I envy you. I would love another hawkhead. But I'm in Canada, and if you thought finding one in the US is hard... Lol

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I envy you. I would love another hawkhead. But I'm in Canada, and if you thought finding one in the US is hard... Lol
I was so sorry to hear about Target...:sadhug2:

Penny was making her jungle call before...that was loud but may have been because I had the water running. That's supposed to excite her. I shut if off & it stopped....

Hawkheads are the closest relative to the caique! From what I've seen the noise level is about the same (I think about perfect for a medium sized parrot!). They are beautiful. @camelotshadow , I haven't been on a whole lot, and I didn't realize that you had a new birdie in your life! How exciting! Now you have TWO of my favorite birds on AA!:heart:

Arrgh Thanks!

Met a few cakes...very playful!:wacky:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Birds by joe also appears to be in Florida... 2 locations or a scam? Hard to be a snowbird with birds in tow, at least that many.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds by joe also appears to be in Florida... 2 locations or a scam? Hard to be a snowbird with birds in tow, at least that many.

He might be legit. I've seen his ad least 4 years but h has so many different kinds I feel he is more of a broker.

I think he lists on bird breeders so hes probably for real...

Maybe a tax thing or what not!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The only thing I know about Birds by Joe is that before I got Blu I was on the hunt for Nanday conures and he had 3. The ad said they were babies. ..for over a year! o_O

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Here is where I am at. 1. Thankful and overwhelmed by all the help of folks here. 2. Pickles is holding the baby for 24 hours so I can make a final decision. I can swing it but being off work for surgery for a month has cramped my budget. I would be all set on toys, perches, travel cage.... 3. I am really trying to research aggressiveness. I know birds bite and I am not that afraid of that- Ive been bit and once you get used to the idea it isn't that much of a deal. I could not handle him going after Louise. Him being a baby I think makes it safer for me as we would both be learning and developing how to read each other and establish trust. 4. I would have to get another cage--and there is no way I can put it together as I cannot even bend yet due to the back surgery... I should know by tomorrow if I am ready to pull the string. If this were July, he would be here tomorrow...

Anyone have some thoughts on how to decide?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
yeah, not answering questions. "who are you and where are you from; store or rescue" I am Micheal, we sell from home. do you want a male or female? then, we only have one available, the other 2 are sold.
Why ask if you want a male or female if you only have one, not like there is a choice.... Do you have the parents? answer, where are you from? How soon do you need the bird? It could be completely legitimate but I would have expected a text that said hi, you contacted us and I am Michael from Gorgeous Parrots. We do have one Hawk head available... Telling me first what is available then asking what I am looking for....just kinda feel like if I tell him what I am looking for he will magically have that.. And I just can't find a web footprint other than their site. No independent reviews, not on bbb, no pages that refer to them. I tried a reverse image but apparently I don't know how to do that...and he started texting about 10 pm their time. I would def need a vet reference to proceed any further, and one that I could call after verifying it is a vet...

Scam...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Here is where I am at. 1. Thankful and overwhelmed by all the help of folks here. 2. Pickles is holding the baby for 24 hours so I can make a final decision. I can swing it but being off work for surgery for a month has cramped my budget. I would be all set on toys, perches, travel cage.... 3. I am really trying to research aggressiveness. I know birds bite and I am not that afraid of that- Ive been bit and once you get used to the idea it isn't that much of a deal. I could not handle him going after Louise. Him being a baby I think makes it safer for me as we would both be learning and developing how to read each other and establish trust. 4. I would have to get another cage--and there is no way I can put it together as I cannot even bend yet due to the back surgery... I should know by tomorrow if I am ready to pull the string. If this were July, he would be here tomorrow...

Anyone have some thoughts on how to decide?
Just do it...get the baby, much better you have a chance to shape its formative years. You have the knowledge to do it right ;)
If they take pay pal you can get no intrest for 6 months or even a year in some transactions.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Agree a baby should be more able to be worked with while a older bird might not & some of them are not even tame anymore if they were breeders.

A baby would more likely be able to learn to co exist with your b ird too.

I was all set to put a deposit down on a baby bronze wing but it would be ready not too long after surgery & I could not put up a cage either so it was decided it just was not a good time.

Could you get help with the cage? anyone you can hire for an hour?

As for toys carrots & cardboard are well liked!!

Is the pickle bird sexed?

You have to decide whether you have the physical ability to interact & train him...but you should have a few weeks to just chill with him while he /she gets used to the new home...& you should be more recovered.

Anyone ever find out if the HH at the fair almost a year ago got a home?

Maybe Sandra will come back with some leads. That one was tolerant of birds & sweet.

Looksy

"Red-fan parrot - Small white text for dark background" Tall Mugs by parrotoftheday | Redbubble

Last edited: