• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I find a Hawkhead parrot?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Seem like that's Crazychicks photo & she said the bird was on her shoulder at the fair so it seems there was a hawkhead at the July 2017 show that she thought was more recent than it actually was so the bird is likely not available any more but you never know.

May have been trying to rehome it for the owner & the owner still has it waiting for a suitable person to come along.

I too believe sometimes things are for a reason & she'll be led to the bird she is supposed to have.
You never know and can always hope.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@finchly the birdfarm guy was awesome. So far, all leads are dead ends with 2 folks (Bird Farm and Hudson Valley) agreeable to put me on a wait list when they hear of eggs. I am still hoping there is a 7 year oldish bird out there in need of a soft place to land. I generally know that when something gets stuck in my head, it will happen. There is a place called the Golden Cockatoo that has one "listed" but it looks like a scam page, bird is overpriced by about 2 grand and the site does not list an address.Their phone message was...well did not inspire confidence. There is also a place in Michigan, Green Parrot, who has had them in the past. Not feeling it there either. If anyone gets a lead or hears of one, I would appreciate knowing. I am practicing with two birds tonight, Louise's brother is here for the night.A bit more work and a bit more supervision--but also a bit more fun.:imok:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In A Pickle bird shop in Ohio has a baby.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The Golden Cockatoo bird store? In or near Miami?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The Golden Cockatoo bird store? In or near Miami?
The website I found listed no address, just a phone number and about every bird you can imagine. The message was kind of weird. Thick accent, trying in the message to convince now is the time to buy... I did tonight find a video of a Golden Cockatoo in Florida, Deerfield beach.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope the pickle has a sweet baby. That one is about 6 mo old...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
This was the gentleman who was so nice. No Hawk Heads now but there is a chance there will be eggs in July, apparently the breeding season is a mess due the hurricanes and bad weather. He was so nice and sounded so tired, he talked about the schedule he and his wife follow and that they haven't had time away, I think he said, in years. He was kind, knowledgeable... I feel like he would stand by any bird they sold. I do wish I could find one in a rescue but dead ends there--I think these birds would be sold instead of being put in a rescue. I have been reading and watching videos a good portion of the day. The big thing for my home to be a forever home is the noise level, I am not a spring chicken and know in about 10/15 years I will need somewhere to live without yard work...condo or something. I feel pretty confident these are not aggressive birds and it is clear they go through a testing phase so I will need my big girl pants. Who am I kidding, all my pants are big girl pants!:lolsign:
I am getting a little excited....now there are 3 probables, 2 in the future and perhaps one very soon...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They sound like very special birds. You sound like a very special person so you will blend well when you get one.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny so far is an angel. Her voice to heaven does it sing. She is not loud & she does not wake me from sleep. I get her up...LOL Lazy & she is just my perfect bird...my heart bird I have always dreamed of & I hope it stays this way & I am as a joy to her as she is to me!!!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Pickle has great on line reviews. Getting texts from someone from Gorgeous Parrots in North Dakota. He isn't answering questions, just asking. Male or female, how old....I'm asking do you have the parents, are they vet checked, do you have a vet reference. I can only find their site so far, no other mentions... Now just texted selling the bird for 1,200....sniff sniff...something may not be right.?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Pickle has great on line reviews. Getting texts from someone from Gorgeous Parrots in North Dakota. He isn't answering questions, just asking. Male or female, how old....I'm asking do you have the parents, are they vet checked, do you have a vet reference. I can only find their site so far, no other mentions... Now just texted selling the bird for 1,200....sniff sniff...something may not be right.?
$1200 is on the low side for a baby but have to follow all leads. Penny is 21 yo so at about half her natural lifespan & I considered her rehome fee reasonable....Be careful////

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not answering questions???

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Doesn't sound legit to me. Call The Pickle tomorrow, ask for Paul, and tell them Matthew sent you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Same text as on Gorgeous Parrots about us webpage can be found here: https://www.birdsbyjoe.com/about-us
Photo with the cages on multiple sites.
High probability of that place being a scam.