• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I find a Hawkhead parrot?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am in no rush but have been captivated by this bird. I have followed Penny's journey, read articles, watched videos... and have scoured the internet. I would even give up my desk to fit another good sized cage. Had some conversation that began to sound like a scam on a 7-8 year old bird. I don't really want a baby but I suspect there are not many in rescues? How have folks been able to find them? And a question for folks who live with them, are they loud, like Macaw loud? I know it can vary by individual bird. Louise is a quiet bird and I am so lucky how she fits in...I would like her to have some company. I know they wouldn't be buds but hopefully would provide some interaction/or least could watch and listen to each other/make it less lonely while I am at work-and it will take an air cleaner or two because of the dust from a CAG. Tips on finding one?
thank you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don't know about that breeder...too many breeds...must be sub contracting/

Be careful who you send money too...lots of scams in bird world

I'm still getting to know Penny & there is not alot of in depth study of hawkheads but all birds even within a species are different depending on how they were raised & there experiences & personality.

Penny luckily seems to have a sweet stable personality. She is so far an amazing companion.
Her vocals are for the most part not loud & she whistles & laughs..with a few rising the roof jungle squawks but they are few far in between...She may be the most perfect parrpt I could ever wish for that is interacting with me at a pleasing level I have never experienced before.

Could be we were just meant to be. I was not looking for a Hawk head, She needed a home & for some reason I was drawn to her...the rest I hope is a long happy story...

Could be your special bird is waiting for you. May not be a hawkhead but if you keep an open mind & meet alot of birds in needs of good homes hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@camelotshadow
Possibly you could ask the person you got Penny from ,where she originally acquired her. Could have been a broker. I originally got Bentley my Male Major Mitchell through a broker. Sometimes with rare or hard to find species that may be the only option. My bird came fully vetted and healthy. ;)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny was originally from someone who had her for 18 years & the circumstances led them to rehome her at I believe Magnolia Farms in Riverside. Wendy a member of AA found her in the shop in Jan 2016 & took her home. Penny has always been loved but her 2 ? former owners both had life changing health situations that led to her being rehomed.

Have not got close enough to the band she wears to see if it has any info but I have the notes from the original owner & Penny lucklily it seems she has known alot of love in her life.

She is an angel who flies into your life when you are in need & hopefully she is with me for a long time!

I have been on'off searching for a bronze wing for years which are also hard to find.
est thing is to find a breeder & get on a waiting list. Not going to find them in a shelter & they rarely come up in average pet trade. They are a bit hard to breed but Katerine on AA had a pair breed in 2016 but I was not looking then. I've never looked for a HH but Penny somehow found me...

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Back 20 years ago when I was looking for a Major Mitchell Cockatoo they were hard to come by. A local parrot breeder found my male through a exotic birds broker. Bentley was part of a collection from a Cardiologist, who's hobby was Aviculture, he passed away and his widow was selling his collection. At the time my Bentley was 6 months old. He was flown/ shipped from Washington state.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:...my rare 35 yo euro grey market sec coupe benz was once a Dr's who lived in Agoura who passed away...Sadly it sits in the garage waiting. It sat in his garage & came to me with spiders living in it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The bird farm guy is awesome, he did have some Hawkheads and if he still does, go for it. Call and talk to him first if you need reassurance. i have a lot of respect for him and his level of knowledge. I could be wrong but I think they breed them all themselves but hire people to help hand feed.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The bird farm guy is awesome, he did have some Hawkheads and if he still does, go for it. Call and talk to him first if you need reassurance. i have a lot of respect for him and his level of knowledge. I could be wrong but I think they breed them all themselves but hire people to help hand feed.
Thank you for the review, I was trying to find some on line, yours is much appreciated.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Pat I think if you talked to him on the phone you could make your decision. I was asking about caiques and he came out with so much information, things I didn’t know about them...so I have talked to him more than once even t ho he didn’t have baby caiques which is what I was looking for. Then he found out I live in Punta Gorda and we had a lot MORE to discuss b/c he wants to move down here. LOL

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you @finchly ,I appreciate your support .

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
:omg:...my rare 35 yo euro grey market sec coupe benz was once a Dr's who lived in Agoura who passed away...Sadly it sits in the garage waiting. It sat in his garage & came to me with spiders living in it.
I'm relived My rare Majors was Clean of Spiders and what not
:omg::coffeescreen:
And I'm most joyful he isn't sadly sitting in a garage waiting. Forgotten and lonely. :unsure1:

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you for the review, I was trying to find some on line, yours is much appreciated.
@Sweet Louise
I'm sure your aware of the red flags of scams.
Payments should always be in the form of traceability . PayPal is a secure method (not friends and family) Merchant prossessing only. Visa,Mastercard, Amex,Discover. Are a safe option.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
There was one at the Rolling Meadows bird fair in Illinois, a few months ago, that could use a wonderful home View attachment 276493

It's happening again this Saturday if you care to drive here
I'm going to try to track down that bird to see if it is still available. I "can" drive down Saturday--but I am not supposed to be sitting for more than 30 minutes yet. If it is still available, I would try.
The ones in Florida are gone and they have no idea of when they may get more. apparently the weather in Florida has impacted clutches. No response from the other lead yet.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I wish I knew the name. I looked through the vendors who go to the bird fair and it MIGHT be B & B birds, Bonnie Gates. But I'm really not sure if that's her. Hopefully Sandra knows.