• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do i feel an egg ?

_Lara _

Meeting neighbors
Hey there bird friends! I have two DNA tested female lovies and they are (as every spring time) being a little hormonal lately. There is nowhere for them to nest and they have tons of distraction though. I just wonder how do i check my girls for eggs? They never laid one, they get also regular vet visits. I was just wondering whether im supposed to check by pressing my fingers on their tummy every once in a while?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You'll usually see an egg butt, where it looks like they have a heavier bottom.

@Zara ?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I agree...they look heavy in the bottom!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was just wondering whether im supposed to check by pressing my fingers on their tummy every once in a while?
No.
And personally I have never done that because if there is an egg, you can easily break it.
An egg is always very visable just by looking at your birds, side-on. Sometimes they look a bit swollen, other times you can clearly see the egg shape.
You are better to monitor your birds visually for signs of trouble, monitor whether they have a bump or swelling, if they are lethargic, if they can´t stand or are flailing, loss of balance etc.

Here is an article about problems that can potencially arise during egg laying, and what to watch out for;

edit; I forgot to ask if your birds are flighted? And if they get time to fly about in the room and strengthen muscles? That will help them during the laying process. An unflighted/clipped bird is weaker and is more likely to have trouble with eggs.
Another thing is to have veggies available for them (or pellets) so they have access to vitamins :)