• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I breed my congo african grey and african grey (repost cause I need answers)

gabbyc064

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
are female and male. I would like to breed them...but I only know the basics. Like I need an L shaped nest box and they need to be in a dark place? I have a room with led lights and i could put it on mode white and put their cage in my room..and put headphones when looking at videos. Outside (where they live) is pretty noisy with our amazon. Please tell me the basics,then the other steps! If anyone here knows or has the time to write all about it...i really would like to know! Thanks :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd be shocked if they'd breed in your room. African greys tend to breed when they're secure and have privacy. They will breed around other greys. They do not need to be in a dark place: the nesting part of the nest box needs to be dark.

You need enough space for a flight with room for your birds to fly. Many birds don't reproduce because they're overweight/out of shape. Do you know how to handfeed? It's not my intention to be mean, but based on your post, I don't recommend you attempt to breed your birds. Your questions indicate that you are not ready yet.

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I would recommend you go to this site African Queen Aviaries and click on the articles tab. Jean has been breeding African greys for a long time and has some very informative articles on things to consider prior to breeding as well as helpful articles on breeding.

gabbyc064

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
I would recommend you go to this site African Queen Aviaries and click on the articles tab. Jean has been breeding African greys for a long time and has some very informative articles on things to consider prior to breeding as well as helpful articles on breeding.
Thanks, i'll check it out!

gabbyc064

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
Once again, please don't breed all your birds. At least get the experience and don't hybridise.

@Mizzely and a number of others have given you good advice already on your other thread. Please take it
I'm sorry, but i've bred before. I don't understand what the problem is with breeding...i have a male and female and i could have more for free...they are happy and they have tried to do it before so i look forward to it. Thanks

gabbyc064

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
I'd be shocked if they'd breed in your room. African greys tend to breed when they're secure and have privacy. They will breed around other greys. They do not need to be in a dark place: the nesting part of the nest box needs to be dark.

You need enough space for a flight with room for your birds to fly. Many birds don't reproduce because they're overweight/out of shape. Do you know how to handfeed? It's not my intention to be mean, but based on your post, I don't recommend you attempt to breed your birds. Your questions indicate that you are not ready yet.
Yea i'm not quite ready, but everyone needs to learn somehow...i'm not saying to take a bird's life to learn...ive bred birds before but they were lovebirds. I'm gonna try my best, and let's hope to see a positive income

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The most important question that you've yet to answer is: why do you want to breed them?

I'm not totally against breeding but I do think breeding should be purposeful and well planned. It should always be done with the best interest of the BIRDS first and the human second.

What is the driving force to encourage them?
What will you do with the birds that hatch?
What will you do if the parents reject the chicks?
What diet are they on?
How old are they?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are they housed with the Amazon? African Greys in the wild don't hang out with other species, so they are very unlikely to breed with him around.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wonder if it's all about this? $$$$
Yes. Both threads by this person have mentioned that.

@gabbyc064 : If you are keeping birds correctly in an optimum environment and feeding lots of fresh foods, giving healthy supplements, vet checks etc. you will NEVER make a profit.

Also, the reason you aren’t getting help. Here is that most people here prefer to rescue rather than buy birds/add to the overpopulation problem.
My personal stance is if there’s even ONE of a species in rescue anywhere in the country, I will not breed them. If you don’t understand why, go to a rescue place and stand beside a small, frightened bird for awhile. Observe their behavior. It’ll break your heart.