• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did your bird(s) get their names?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Aries (RIP) was named by the store we got her from. They thought she was a boy and they thought she was mean so they named her Aries after Ares the god of war. I liked the name even with the misspelling so we kept it. She was a great and still very missed companion.

Jenks was named after a character in a favorite book series (Kim Harrison's The Hollow's series) Jenks is a feisty pixie in that series and it really fits his personality.

Toot-Toot was named after another character in a favorite book series (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files) Toot-Toot is a dew drop faerie and even though the character and my Toot don't have the same personality traits the name still fits him pretty well. I almost named him Jax (Jenks son in The Hollow's books) instead but decided on Toot-Toot.

My two boys didn't come with names. Jenks was a re-home and they thought he was a she but never named him. Toot was a breeder bird that we adopted and he had no name either as far as we know.

Most of our companions are named after book or Movie characters.

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
Zazu (GCC) I got from a breeder, I didn't pick her name right there and then. Took me a fee days. My father (R.I.P) wanted to name her Eddie. I refused. So I went with my fav disney movie and looking on these forums 3 years ago not a lot of parrots were named Zazu so I felt it wasn't as common.

Max (TAG): I Rescued Max off of Craiglist
for only 1k! He is 17 and was already named this. I like his short name. Really rolls off the tongue when I'm trying to discourage him from being bad. "Maaaaxxxxxx? What ya doing there pal"

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Bijou and Disco came to us as Bijou and Baby. We liked the name Bijou (French for jewel) but I couldn't imagine myself going around calling "Baaaaaaby!" lol. I asked my kids for ideas and at the time we had some mini disco ball decorations hanging around from a party. My youngest really wanted to call the budgies "Disco" and "Ball", so we settled on keeping Bijou's name and renaming "Baby" to Disco. The names suit both of them, I think. Bijou is tiny, delicate and all yellow like a little citrine. Disco is green and loud and always bobbing his head. I can totally picture him wearing 70s disco bell-bottoms.

Argo was named the moment I saw his picture. I wanted a gender-neutral name that was not "human". The Argo was the mythical ship that took Jason on his quest to find the Golden fleece. It was commissioned by the goddess Athena and was said to have been imbued with magical powers by the gods, including the ability to talk. The name
Argo comes from the Greek word "argos", meaning "swift". I think it suits him really well, he adores water (like a ship), he is definitely swift and such an elegant flyer. We don't know if he talks yet (still a baby) but I think he has some pretty magical qualities :heart:.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Marshmallow got his name because of his fluffy, white face. He's also really mellow, so it just kind of fits.
Sprite got her name because she's green and yellow, like the soda. She also kind of reminds me of a sprite. Her energetic, sometimes cheeky personality is so much like the sprites in old folk tales.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Charlie is my favourite name and always has been, and I’ve named more than one pet Charlie! My little Charlie is definitely making the name her own though. I regret it a tiny bit now that we are expecting to add a (human!) baby to our flock very soon and I’ve used up the name Charlie!!!! (Only because I can think of other names that would suit her now I know her, and I don’t have any boy names for my baby that I love!)

my husband named Flynn after a week of us arguing and him researching names and their meanings. I actually didn’t love the name (I do now because of his personality, it grew on me and I couldn’t imagine him with another name) but I didn’t have the strength to keep name searching! I actually wanted to call him Alfie or Ted

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Funny thread! :)

Tikki: cobalt budgie, got his name because I wanted something associated with his color, which reminds me of the ocean/sky, islands etc... Then I got the idea of gods from the Pacific or Indian ocean, and thought of Kon Tiki.
Merlin: spangle budgie, not tame and looking very much like a falcon. Associated his color with Merlin the wizzard and his looks with the merlin bird.
Willow: yellow and green/pale blue budgie. Associated with the tree of the same color and we all liked the nice name.
Twitter: blue parrotlet. Little blue bird..
Nova: white and light blue budgie. I wanted something associated with sky and clouds color, went a little out there in the big universe and constellations, found out that Nova was both a star and "the new one"
Pichu: green parrotlet. Parrotlets are from South America. I used to watch a cartoon taking place in South America when I was a kid with a green parrot called Pichu, in referense to Machu Picchu.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The zons came with their names.

Secret? What a name for a pet!

MC? I always wondered if the original owner meant Emcee.

Gigibirds

Pistache: (turquoise p'let) Had a green spot on her head, a bit like a pistachio nut
Most of my other birds after pistache (but before mango) had been named fruit/food related names, so I decided to go along with it!
Mango: (Fischer's lovebird) Mango had the colouring of a mango, so there it was!
Kiwi & Guava: (Mango's sons) I wanted to name them tropical fruit names as well, and they had the colouring of kiwis and guavas, so that's what I went with
Melanie: (peach faced lovebird...possibly opaline?) Melanie is pronounced melon-y. I chose that name because I thought it was super cute, and she has the colouring of a water melon!

So my birds' names are all fruit/food related that match their colouring. (I love the idea of this thread by the way!!)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice to see you back, Gigibirds! And if you haven’t seen the threads, rest assured that karma came back to bite two of the people who twitted you the most about having secret birds... Shezbug & I both recently revealed one or more. :roflmao:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Mustrum and Esmerelda went *months* without names.

Of course, they also went months before I could reliably tell them apart, so naming would have been challenging.

They're named after Mustrum Ridcully, the Arch-Chancellor of Unseen University, and Esmerelda Weatherwax, witch, from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

How they got those names had to do with the fact that I was looking for a M/F pair that were somehow involved but were not a couple and since Mustrum and Esme had had an almost fling as teenagers (if Esme had just been a little slower things might have been different) and then teamed up later to fight the fairies (in Lords and Ladies), it seemed like they had enough of a connection without a romantic involvement.

Also, in one of the books that takes place in Anhk-Morpork, the Arch-Chancellor displayed his deep fascination with a very complicated shower/bath apparatus and my Mustrum is mesmerized by the battery-operated cat waterer I provided for their ablutions.

Esme, on the other hand, seems to be of Granny Weatherwax's opinion with respect to bathing:

'Baths is unhygienic,' Granny declared. 'You know I've never agreed with baths. Sittin' around in your own dirt like that.'
'What do you do, then?' Said Magrat.
'I just washes,' said Granny. 'All the bits. You know. As and when they becomes available.'

So now you know.
Hopefully, you know 'where I stand' depending on the discourse above... Pat.

Gigibirds

Nice to see you too, Sparkles99! I hadn't seen those threads, but that's so exciting!!

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
Jeff: I named him "buddy" at first, because he was going to be my buddy, but then my family teased me about how it's too common so he became jeff.
John: Idk, my brother named him that because he wanted a name out of the bible. It was his bird but unfortunately he got busy with other things in his life so it became my birdy.
Snowy: because she is white.
Grumpy: He had a big crest which made him look.. wel, Grumpy :) RIP
Sunny: She looks very bright, like the sun, so I named her Sunny.
Griffen: He was also my brother's bird, he got him a year an a half after John because he missed having a bird but he again unfortunately was too busy to take care of a bird so now I take care of him but it's still his bird.
Pippen: I named her Pippen because... no idea. I always wanted a cockatiel, and I thought I'd name it Pippen, so last year my parents got me a cockatiel because I asked if I could get one, and they agreed(it took years LOL)

Sooo yeah that's their story on how they got their names :)

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Stormy: He was a companion to Sky (RIP), and the name seems to suit him since he can sing up a storm!
Picasso: Originally named Penny, I thought Picasso was a male when she came to me. When she ws discovered to be a feamle, I just decided not to change her name.
Pepper: Named becuse of his back that only has a light scattering of dark feathers.
Apollo: He was originally named Blake, but I changed it to Apollo because my mom didn't like his name.
Sky (RIP): Just a generic blue budgie name, it was all my 11-year-old self could think of.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp (OTRB) was named so because when we were bringing him home, he started chirping along to the music on the radio.

Jade, I just kind of looked at her and went "yeah she seems like a Jade". Now she terrorizes my house and craves blood :heart:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My budgie Querido-he pretty much was named after a baby dove we rescued, but sadly and shortly passed away and her/his name was Darling. We had Darling before we had any birds. We switched Darling onto Spanish.
Sprinkles- because she looks like she has sprinkles on her back
Lemonpie-he has the yellowist mohawk ever, and a white face.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
I had a list of names from TV show characters (mostly shows I watched as a kid) that was really future cat names since I never planned on having a bird. I picked the name Widget off the list before we ever got him and never having seen him, so I just got lucky it ended up fitting since I’m definitely the type of person that takes months to name an animal or will keep their old name if they already have one. Widget is a character from Wow Wow Wubbzy.

Also, all of my other pets have weird names or food names because I find they are easy to pick. When I try for a serious name I can’t find one that fits.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe - means "gateway to heaven" - since his head is blue (heaven) and his body is green (earth) I thought the name fitting.
Ollie - came with his name.
Chico - came with his name.
Bobbie - came with her name, although it was spelled Bobby in her previous homes as it was thought she was male. I changed it to Bobbie but she calls herself Bee anyway.
Joe Joe - came with his name.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chanchu (RIP) was my first budgie. Chanchu means beak in sanskrit, he was our little sweet beak :heart: ... Chirik means squeak in bengali, so the name suits him... Chakmoki means glitters, he has a glittering personality. Andddd finallyyyy Inca, well he was named according to his homeland. To me, he is the King...so i gave him this name.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Most of my birds past and present came with their names
Bud the little green budgie was my first bird on my own. Name was short for Budweiser. He was bought at pet store cuz he was being beat up on by other budgies. He came home in little box, we sat on the coffee table, while I set up a cage. He came out of that box and knocked over a empty Budweiser can. He became Bud from then on.
Teelee was adopted budgie that was dark purple blue but for one tail feather teal blue.
Punkee was just that a punk lots of 'tude.
Sunni was Bud and Teelee's daughter and I hand fed her from day 2. Bright sunny yellow.
The Turk was a lil stick of turquoise dynamite that flew in thru my deck door. He was Turk the terrorist. He was just plain mad at the world.. Which parrot was your least expected addition?
Tuffy came with the name Tuff guy. But I change that to Tuffetta after he laid a egg .LOL
Rocky came with his name also. He was my head banging rock star.
Sweet Pea came with her name from @SandraK after I lost Rocky to cancer
Bebe came with his name also but I changed the spelling to French word for baby Bebe.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im a HUGE fan of Games of Thrones so of course my Greys name is Tyrion ..I am also a HUGE fan of Vikings so my Amazons name is Lagertha..And my soon to be double headed Amazon is going to be named Mackenzie after a great series Lost Girl .. I chose these names with the personalities of my birds in mind ..So Tyrion is so very smart ..Lagertha is very strong and can look after her self .. And with Mackenzie I wanted something close to what the rescue is calling her Mattie ... :D