• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did your bird(s) get their names?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio came as Precious...:eek:...Changed it to Phoenix for a while but that just did not fall from the tongue nicely so it morphed into Rio & that stuck.

Penny has been Penny since she was a baby 1998 or 97 I forget so over 20 years & I never felt the need to change it...

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conure is a black capped conure, and the feathers around his neck remind me of chain maille. And me being an Arthurian legend/medieval history nerd who already had a cat named Percival, Galahad just seemed fitting!

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
- Mia the cockatiel I just named immediately, I was in high school and wanted to name my first child that (little did I know that Mia would end up being a boy)
- Mars the parakeet was originally named Angel but well he wasn’t quite fit to that name at the beginning (I was in elementary school and not creative nor patient enough for a bird). Afterwards during a science fair project with him and his previous mate he was renamed Mars (and she was Jupiter).
- Kai the caique was named after Malakai from the vampire diaries because caiques and him have similar personalities :wacky: But also because I would constantly have to teach my spanish mother how to say caique. He also responds to “Pichón” which in spanish means bird and “Rabbit” because when my SO saw him hop for the first time he was elated and has only referred to him as Rabbit since

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she was a bouncing baby girl so even though Zazu is of course a male in the movies I'd had my heart set on this specific name for all these years so Zazu she was.
I had an old friend/housemate that used to call me Zazu. I don´t see why it can´t be used for both males and females :)

I didnt really have any reason for calling Mojo her name
Sometimes there´s just no reason, a name just pops in our heads and fits

I named my first bird Sydney because even though I requested a male bird I wanted a unisex name just incase and Sydney seemed to match his bright yellow plumage.
Jaime is Jaime for no reason, I just liked the name. I asked for a male bird again so I was leaning towards make names, but thought Jaime could be a nice female name too. Pronounced in the English way and not the Spanish way.
Lapis Lazuli - for obvious reasons, her blue plumage
Nube is Spanish for Cloud. He is Marbled so looked very cloud like. At the time I didn´t know he was Mottle and he lost most of his colour from the time he turned one until now. Marshmallow would have been a more fitting name because he´s almost completely white now, but guess what? Nube also means Marshmallow in Spanish :wewin:
Adélie I named after the Adélie penguins. Small but fierce birds. Adélie didn´t have the best start in life, parent abandoned her, she grew super slowly, weaned slowly, but she soldiered through and she´s a little warrior :)
Gísli is Scandinavian for ¨little ray of sunshine¨. I had bred two birds for a neighbour, but she later said she only wanted one. I gave her the bird in March 2020, leaving me with this little bundle of cuteness. Given world events and the manditory confinement, the name was quite fitting.
Aldoras name is Greek. It means Winged gift. She just turned up one day at my back door. Jacob alerted me that something was happening and I went to look and saw nothing. As I walked away I heard something outside and found her. Initially I freaked out thinking it was Jaime, but once I´d coaxed her in, it was clear she was not him and instantly I knew she was female. I named her once one month had passed. She was quarentined in my kitchen because she had landed at my kitchen door. No one ever looked for her.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be honest it has been years since I picked up an Animorphs book.
I think Ax and Tobias were my favourites.
I never read the last book :ummmm: We had most of the books but several were missing, and when I reach the end I realised so was the last one!
Maybe now I will go reread them and get the last book :hmmm:
They were my favs too! Oh man you've gotta read the last one! Its a dooze alright it frustrated me so much lol I had so many emotions whirling when I was reading it.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, I can't be the only one who also has middle names for some of their birds right? Milo, is Milo Marie, Hazel, is Hazel Gracelynn, Riley, is Riley Birch, Percy, is Percival Graham etc. etc.
Nope! Nala was Nala Leo(so she still keep part of my original name for her) Zazu was Zazu Blue and Tobias is Tobias Hawk as a nod to where the inspiration for his name came from.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww what a sweet thread. I have a long, long list of birds that I have named but I’ll only tell Gigi’s story because I love it. I put a deposit on a lutino linnie that I decide to name Pip. On pick up day the breeder had Pip and a lovely green baby who’s reserve fell through just an hour before. I choose the green baby. As we drove home I comforted her in her little box and said “What will I name my little green girl? Oh! Gigi!”

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I didn't name Phoenix until he was about 5 days old (for those that don't know I rescued him the day he hatched from a backyard "breeder", long story) but before I named him Phoenix, I'd call him Nakey Chickey and Chicken Nuggey :roflmao:
I named him Phoenix because despite everything he was going through he was such a fighter, you wouldn't be able to tell anything was wrong with him without looking at his symptoms. He really rose from the ashes of all his struggles and became the big firey survivor he is today :D

Raijū is interesting, too, I wanted to name him after a mythological creature like I did with Phoenix. I took a while to decide which name I wanted to give him, but I decided on Raijū, which is from Japanese mythology... it's the thunder beast, it seemed fitting since he is blue :D

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
One of the rules of getting birds that my husband made.... was that we had to name our birds after things relating to his profession which at the time was brewing beer.

So Gose is a type of lemon lime ale...
and Porter is a dark heavy rich beer.

lol.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I tend to lean into comic book character names, so Marvin was named after Marvin the Martian (similar colours), and my greyhound Pepper was named after Pepper Potts (AKA - "Rescue") after she retired from racing and I found her registered name unwieldy (CTW Solita).

Jericho and Oscar came to me named as they are.

1200px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tend to lean into comic book character names, so Marvin was named after Marvin the Martian (similar colours), and my greyhound Pepper was named after Pepper Potts (AKA - "Rescue") after she retired from racing and I found her registered name unwieldy (CTW Solita).

Jericho and Oscar came to me named as they are.

View attachment 395904
We had two king charles and i named one Pepper after Pepper Potts

honkwee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ava
I actually didn't have names prepared for male cockatiels. I was expecting a single female (that was going to be named Audrey). Then I got a call for a male bonded pair, their rescue was trying so hard to keep them together but people just wanted "the yellow one". After thinking it through for a bit (and making sure the cage was big enough for two) I adopted them and for almost a week they didn't have names. but then I realised that they fit Bingley and Darcy's personalities perfectly. Dolly got her name because she looked like a pretty little doll (she was originally going to be Estella), Kiwi got his name because of his coloring and his small size (originally going to be Mango), Jolene got her name because it was pretty lol (called her Plop because she when she sleeps she gets fluffy and it just stuck), Bijou got her name because it means jewel in french and she has turquoise on her belly like an opal, Marigold was named for her yellow coloring (originally going to be Kristal to match her Bijou) but we mostly call her Mari, Putin or Jerry, Garry, Perry, Larry Etc lol, and last but certainly not least is our beloved Misty, She is the prettiest budgie I've ever seen and is the sweetest little thing, she got her name because of her white and blue pattern but we call her Eggy because we nicknamed her "Egg Cloud" while she didn't have a name due to her egg-like appearance and her beautiful pattern. This thread is quite interesting lol, i love to learn all about birbs names.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love the P&P reference with Bingley & Darcy, honkwee!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This has been wonderful everyone! I really enjoy learning why your Fabies have their names. Keep the stories/reasons coming everyone :heart:

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
We had a lovebird (RIP) when we got him the guy at the store asked us what we were going to name him and said he looked like a Luscius Best (from the Disney movie the incredibles) we never came up with anything better so it just stuck. We also called him Louie and sometimes Lucifer :devil:lol. 3 years in she laid an egg but we never changed her name.

Now we have a black capped conure who’s name we couldn’t agree on...it’s so hard to pick when you don’t know if the bird is girl or boy lol. I read somewhere that they are also called rock conures so we wound up naming him Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson. Lol My youngest liked Maui better though (in keeping with Disney’s theme from Moana also Played by the rock) we also played the song “your welcome” to him from the movie and he started bopping to it lol so all these names stuck ..we mostly call him Dwayne The Bird sometimes Dwayne the rock conure and my youngest calls him mr. Maui lol :roflmao:
before I give him his veggies in the morning I ask him “can you smell what the Rock is cooking?” lol