• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did your bird(s) get their names?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think we had a thread(or probably several at this point over the years,lol) But I was just thinking about this as I was scrolling AA and thought why not ask.

Nala normal Greenie(RIP) I had originally named Leo when I adopted her since she was thought to be male and her name was Beaker which I didn't like. At the time the show Charmed was my favorite so I named her Leo after my favorite character. Fast forward to about 4 years later and I decided to DNA "him" just to be sure to know for possible gender related issues and low and behold he came back as a she! She had never in all those years responded to the name Leo so I thought long and hard about what to rename her and as soon as I thought about Nala(Massive Lion King fan here from moment one,lol) I knew I'd found the perfect name and I kid you not she responded to Nala the moment I changed it she ran to me like it was always meant to be her name and she was just waiting for me to finally catch on :lol: .

Zazu(RIP) Cinnamon Turq Greenie I had dreamed about having a Turq for over a decade and had long ago planned on the name Zazu Blue no matter the gender I was hoping it would come back male but she was a bouncing baby girl so even though Zazu is of course a male in the movies I'd had my heart set on this specific name for all these years so Zazu she was.

Tobias(CBC) is named after the character from book/tv series Animorphs that I love so much still to this day even though it came out in the early 90s. For anyone not familiar its about a group of teenagers who are given by a noble and dying alien the ability to "morph" into any animal species by absorbing their DNA through touching them. They are given these powers in the hopes of helping to stop the alien invasion by the evil Yeerks who can enter through your ear canal and spread themselves over your brains and take over your body. My favorite character is named Tobias he was in the body of a Red-Tailed Hawk during a mission but he stuck in there for over the 2 hours time limit and thus became trapped in the body of the Hawk. This is what started my love for the species that continues strongly to this day so as soon as I saw Tobias's baby picture I just knew this was supposed to be his name he reminded me of a little Hawk in the way he was looking and his future Crimson belly is reminiscent of the Red Tails deep russet red tail feathers they get after they mature.

What about yall?

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
All great names!
Hobgoblin (aka Hobs) is a green cheeked conure. When I was researching before we got him all the sites said conures were great fun but very pesky and impish.When I was young I loved all the mythological creatures so did a quick google search and when I saw Hobgoblin I knew it was the one!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have no stories- LOL. All my birds came with names already. I often wonder though how Rosie got his name- since he's a boy. I wonder if they thought he was a girl, if it's because of his "rosey" cheeks (which are really orange) or after the football player Rosie Greer. I guess I will never know....

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Esmerelda (Essie) was named on the spot when we met her.

We were really looking for a 'tiel, and had decided against Conures in general but she saw us and PEALEDED to come out. We opened the cage she hopped out onto our hands and immediately wanted to interact. My wife named her on the spot "Esmerelda" -- Spanish for Emerald -- for her deep green plumage. Once named, the deal was done. Was NOT planning on picking up one of the shop's rarer species, but there was no going back. "Essie" later became the family name, for lack of a better abbreviation.

. . . little did we know . . . "Lucy" would have probably been more appropriate, due to her red head (it takes about 6 months for a Roseifrons to start changing from the immature dark maroon to a bright red) and fiery attitude, but Essie has stuck . . . as has Sweetpea . . . and Mrs. Poofycheeks . . .

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pistachio & Marzipan came with names they didn't like hearing. I think they were frequently shunted aside in their first home & I know no one cleaned. So they needed new names for their new lives!

Pistachio was named for his colour, which having a dark factor looks like pistachios. Marzipan was also named for his. Someone here suggested Nougat & a family member suggested Almond = Marzipan. It also goes well with Pistachio.

Aurelius was named after Aurelius Augustinus of Hippo, AKA St. Augustine. Aurelius means golden or gilded & he's largely bright yellow. He's an entitled, giant (he's huge compared to all my other budgies) baby budgie, so I can't say he's lived up to the saint part. :laugh: Winston came with his name & he liked it.

Marigold was named for the flower & because I thought it likely he was a she. I also wanted another yellow themed name. Frosting was named for the white on him, which, where he's pied, exactly resembles the colour of homemade vanilla buttercream icing. He looks like someone was frosting him & stopped partway through.

That makes three food names (Pistachio, Marzipan, Frosting) & three human/ more distinguished names (Aurelius, Winston, Marigold). I like the symmetry.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didnt really have any reason for calling Mojo her name
i just remember thinking when i saw her video sent to me before i met her i am going to call her Mojo so i did.

When i decided on another bird i was googling names and their meanings.
I saw that the name KiKi in French meant double pleasure so decided on that for the obvious reason.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Tobias(CBC) is named after the character from book/tv series Animorphs that I love so much still to this day even though it came out in the early 90s. For anyone not familiar its about a group of teenagers who are given by a noble and dying alien the ability to "morph" into any animal species by absorbing their DNA through touching them. They are given these powers in the hopes of helping to stop the alien invasion by the evil Yeerks who can enter through your ear canal and spread themselves over your brains and take over your body. My favorite character is named Tobias he was in the body of a Red-Tailed Hawk during a mission but he stuck in there for over the 2 hours time limit and thus became trapped in the body of the Hawk. This is what started my love for the species that continues strongly to this day so as soon as I saw Tobias's baby picture I just knew this was supposed to be his name he reminded me of a little Hawk in the way he was looking and his future Crimson belly is reminiscent of the Red Tails deep russet red tail feathers they get after they mature.
You know, every time I saw your Tobias’ name I though Animorphs!

Almost all my Aussie budgies are named after stones or gems.
LJ - Lemon Jade,
Obsidian,
Snowflake - Snowflake Obsidian.

Sunbeam was given to me after being found outside, the people who brought her over asked what Snowflake’s name was and then dubbed Sunbeam Sunbeam so she would match.
I give my EBs “posh” names Winston and Emelia.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Mustrum and Esmerelda went *months* without names.

Of course, they also went months before I could reliably tell them apart, so naming would have been challenging.

They're named after Mustrum Ridcully, the Arch-Chancellor of Unseen University, and Esmerelda Weatherwax, witch, from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

How they got those names had to do with the fact that I was looking for a M/F pair that were somehow involved but were not a couple and since Mustrum and Esme had had an almost fling as teenagers (if Esme had just been a little slower things might have been different) and then teamed up later to fight the fairies (in Lords and Ladies), it seemed like they had enough of a connection without a romantic involvement.

Also, in one of the books that takes place in Anhk-Morpork, the Arch-Chancellor displayed his deep fascination with a very complicated shower/bath apparatus and my Mustrum is mesmerized by the battery-operated cat waterer I provided for their ablutions.

Esme, on the other hand, seems to be of Granny Weatherwax's opinion with respect to bathing:

'Baths is unhygienic,' Granny declared. 'You know I've never agreed with baths. Sittin' around in your own dirt like that.'
'What do you do, then?' Said Magrat.
'I just washes,' said Granny. 'All the bits. You know. As and when they becomes available.'

So now you know.

ems08

Walking the driveway
Naming Riley was really challenging. I wanted a name that didn't conjure any kind of troublemaker because those names are self fulfilling prophecies in my experience. Especially with horses for some reason... I considered lots of green/blue related names but most of them were too cutsey. My sister's favorite was Isaac Newton but I didn't want to name him is obviously after someone.

I'm a big Atlanta Braves fan so I considered first or last names of a bunch of players, and Riley (for Austin Riley) ended up the top of the list. It doesn't hurt he's the MVP of the team this year ;)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
The friend I got Mark from watched a lot of Youtube, so he was named after Markiplier. I call him Markimoo sometimes. Felix was named after Pewdiepie. I picked Parker up at a park, and it matched Mark. Could have went with Sean (Jacksepticeye).
I want my future pet(s) to have a baby name.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My wife and I thought (hoped) Leia would be a self-rescuing princess.

We were wrong.

This is a parrot who has learnt that if she just flails around and/or squeaks plaintively, one of the humans will eventually retrieve her from whatever nonsense she's created for herself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo - Name of a Terry Pratchett book (favorite author of my husband), and also I thought that's what the birds in Banjo Kazooie were called (they are Jinjos)

Koopa - Mario reference

Gizmo - came with the name

Bobber - came with the name

Ripley - named after Aliens when I thought he was a girl. But I liked the name too much to change it :) He was basically unnamed when I got him. The guy said "I just call her bird" but I guess his ex-wife called him Emerald

Aves

Nebula and Valkyrie are named after marvel characters
Klee and Qiqi (rip) are named after genshin characters
Walter is named after my grandpa who passed

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Yay another Animorphs fan that makes me so happy! Who was your favorite and did you like the way she ended the series?
To be honest it has been years since I picked up an Animorphs book.
I think Ax and Tobias were my favourites.
I never read the last book :ummmm: We had most of the books but several were missing, and when I reach the end I realised so was the last one!
Maybe now I will go reread them and get the last book :hmmm:

Kori

Walking the driveway
Pitchii - from the 1970's anime Haiji (Heidi). Pitchii was a blue bird that Heidi rescued.
Pinko - play on the word inko, which means parrot in Japanese, Pinko is also the name of (an older) female celebrity here. Pinko, however, turned out to be male, but we never changed his name :wacky:
Azuki- small red bean, also known as Adzuki in English. I really love wagashi, traditional confectionary, and azuki is often used in it. She's my little Ms Bean x

clarousel

Preeno was always preening as a baby hence the name Preen-o! Glad I stuck with it after being told it's weird because it suits him so well.

Patches simply has many different coloured patches :roflmao: he was almost called Fuji like the mountain but Preeno and Patches sound much cuter hehe.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My birds names don't really have super unique meanings, or symbolism, other than just being named certain names that I really like and felt like they fit each of them well. Percy was named after Percy Weasley in Harry Potter, Riley was just named Riley because I have always loved the name Riley. I had also always loved the name Milo, so when my tiel came home I called her Milo, I had originally thought that she was a he, so that is why she was named Milo, otherwise she would have been named Cleo, but after her first molt and just her personality and characteristics I knew she was a female and after she laid an egg it was 100% sure lol. I had thought about changing her name once I knew that she was a girl, but she already knew her name and I still love it, it just fits her really well. Pipsqueak aka. Pip received her name because of her very small size, she was very tiny when I got her and still is on the smaller side for a budgie today. When my friend found a budgie outside in the cold in the spring and we couldn't find her owner I ended up taking her in, she had been named peepers by my friend because of the sounds she made, but I ended up changing her name to Hazel just because it was a name that I had always liked a lot. When I rescued Jade her name had been Zora, and I didn't particularly like it and she had come from a bad situation, so I just wanted her to have a new start and decided to name her Jade for her dark green color. Jade was rescued alongside another GCC, who I named Einstein, who has since passed due to continual health issues that he struggled with ever since being rescued, due to the improper care in his previous living conditions. He was named Einstein for his inquisitive nature and ability to figure out just about anything, he was also an escape artist! Waldo got his name from one of the characters in the tv show "Family Matters" my siblings and I used to watch the show when we were kids and when Waldo joined the flock he needed a name and I still really liked the name Waldo and it fit him well. Also, I can't be the only one who also has middle names for some of their birds right? Milo, is Milo Marie, Hazel, is Hazel Gracelynn, Riley, is Riley Birch, Percy, is Percival Graham etc. etc.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Woody was originally thought to be a boy, so we named her Woody, after Woodstock in Charlie Brown I believe. Then we found out he was actually a she, but since she already responded to the name we decided we’d just keep it. Rocky was named after his gorgeous grey feathers, as they look like smooth slate or spoke kind of rock. His name also matches Woody’s in a way!