• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did you meet your feather friend

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prior to seeing Java's listing online, I was looking for an older bird, typically an amazon or mini macaw. Got a few leads online but they all fell through, then I saw Java's listing and only stopped to look because I saw a scraggly-looking black bird that looked more like a raptor. His headline was something along the lines of 'Special Needs Vasa". So I read his brief history but quickly decided that it was out of my league: he was bigger than I wanted (he looked huge in the picture), he wasn't pretty, had a missing leg, and wasn't tamed, so I said no thanks.
I continued on with my search for a feathered friend to adopt, and still had no luck. Two months later, still looking, I saw Java's posting again (he had no name), so I decided to actually sit back and at least ask if he was still available since he was within my budget and I wasn't having any luck finding over the last two months.
When I ran across his post for the second time, I had just inquired about a baby White-Bellied Caique in FL, even though I REALLY didn't want a baby. The owner said it would take a month for the baby to be weaned, so I knew I had time to keep looking. When I asked about Java, I was told he was still available, and the rest is history. One month later, he was shipped from FL to TN and when I went to pick him up from the airport, I realized just how tiny he was. When the lady at the airport grabbed his carrier and looked in, she said "what is it? It's just there." I asked," is it alive?" She said," yeah it's alive but it's stuffed in the corner and shaking."

We went home and began the process of getting to know one another. Within 3 weeks, I was able to handle him after the breeder, who had him for over two years, said she couldn't get within thirty feet of him without him freaking out and putting as much distance between him and her as possible. She was shocked that I could handle him, even though he still lost his marbles if I went near his cage or moved too quickly. By our first month, he was regurgitating for me, taking food from my hand, and contact calling whenever I left his sight. Now, a year and a half later, I couldn't be happier with him. We've come a long way, and he's made soooo much progress! He's perfect!

Last edited:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I love Tibbingston's glow up! They're such pretty birds ♥
Thank you!! It's funny to me that he's not at all the grumpy boy they described him as. Same with Sam, actually. They're my babies.

I love reading these stories, Burt is beautiful!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Seven birds...seven stories...

Igor- given to us by a friend of a friend who decided that "this bird isn't pretty enough"...what a silly fool.

Sunshine- came to us from a short birdy train of @webchirp and myself. Chandra had "liberated" him and a cage mate from a rather dubious situation..his cage mate found a home with @CeciliaZ, I believe.

Harley- adopted from an out of town friend just last year...we wanted to bring in a budgie for Omega after his friend had passed...budgies do better in multiples. ;)

Omega- After Sky passed, I declared "No more Birds"...then, one afternoon, I walked in and saw my wife holding a small pet box container...with a "budgie in a box."
Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with my wife, but once a bird is in the house, they're not going anywhere. :)
As one deference to me, I was permitted to name him "Omega"..the last letter of the Greek alphabet...signifying the LAST bird we were ever getting...that was three birds ago...

Tweety- @sunnysmom informed me of a very cute tiel in need of a home that was disabled...knowing how difficult it is for disabled birds to get adopted, Kathy and I agreed to bring the tiel into our flock. @Deneen was fostering him at the time...and she brought him up from Pittsburgh about a month and a half ago. He is fitting in very well with this crazy house and is enjoying life, big time.

Buddy- After Titan, our IRN passed, there seemed to be something missing...we decide to look for another bird...preferably a mature bird, rather than a baby. It also had to come from a rescue "situation"..no pet store birds. When I expressed this desire here on AA, a roadie who was a volunteer at a sanctuary said there was a bird there that would benefit from a good home. By the way, this facility specializes in large cats...tigers, leopards, etc...they didn't even have a procedure to adopt any of their charges.
Well, we worked every thing out...and Buddy came to us ...a little over three and a half years ago, now.

Milton- After Cassie, my :heart: bird passed, we decided to adopt a G2 from a rescue in Ohio. While we were being vetted (successfully) the G2 was adopted. My wife (again) went behind my back and talked to our AV in Buffalo, who put Kathy in touch with a Rescue in Rochester, NY who had an Umbrella 'too for adoption...and because of our AV's recommendation, they offered for us to adopt the bird, sight unseen.

Like I said...seven birds...seven stories...and three of them connected with AA...:)

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I love reading all the heartwarming stories here about how folks met their feathered family! All the photos are gorgeous - wow!

My first bird, Lucy Budgie was found on an apartment balcony near Beaumont, Tx. by my nephew and his girlfriend. When my husband and I went down for their wedding ('95, I think), nephew asked if I wanted Lucy, as she kept landing on their three cats and disaster was bound to happen sooner or later. It was love at first sight for Lucy, me and the husband (now ex, but he helped me bury her in 2002 when she passed!) Everyone loved Lucy.

It was 15 years later after Lucy passed that I was brave enough to look for another budgie. (Fergus). He was being chased around the cage and seemingly bullied by the others at Petsmart, and I chose him.

Five months later I decided to get a girl. (Fiona). She's a feisty little thing, and both Fergus and I love her very much!
Weird and naughty girl that she is, she obsessively chewed on her plastic food dishes until she moved in with Fergus (whom I call "her brother").... (hoping that they won't mate).

:heart:

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
When I got Zee I went to my local bird store to put a downpayment on a baby peach-faced lovebird. When I got there they were bringing in a new bird to the store, a little cremino lovebird. Apparently her owner had gotten her 3 weeks before going to college( i guess they thought that was a smart idea?) and didn't have time to care for her while at school. Anyway, I asked to see her because I'm a sucker for creminos. She was super sweet and I ended up purchasing her without even seeing the other babies. I thought the name love-bug didn't suit her feisty personality so I changed it to zephyr and ever since I've been so glad I chose her.:D

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
After living with a dozen birds over 30 plus years we found ourselves bird-less for 4 years. I talked over and over about getting a bird but couldn't seem to decide. We were in a condo now and growing old so noise and age were factors. Then my husband gave me my birthday present along with a coupon, "good for any bird at any price." He said he knew I missed living with a bird and wanted me to know he supported me if I decided. I called a breeder looking for a hand fed budgie. He sold his last budgie that morning and said he had Linnies. What's a Linnie? He said he really loved them and I should look them up online to see what I think. Within hours I had done just that and I headed to see the babies in real life. At that point he had 2 lutinos left unsold. I picked the chubbier one and gave a deposit. I visited several times before pick up day. On that day I set up the cage and headed off. I held and played with my lutino Linnie that I named Pip and was captivated. I talked with the breeder about possibly buying 2 and he said that morning someone had requested their deposit back on Pip's sister, a normal green Linnie. He brought her out and I just melted. I've always been a big fan of green birds after my first beloved amazon. I loved that she was just as the Linnies are in the wild. I talked and talked to the breeder about whether I should buy both. He said it's up to you, you can have either of the lutinos or the green. Or one of each. He obviously wasn't worried about a sale, because he strongly encouraged me to take just one, build a relationship and then consider another down the road. So that's what I did, I took just one girl home, a normal green. As I comforted her in the box on the way home I knew that she wasn't Pip, that was the lutino I left behind. I said "What am I going to name my little green girl?" Oh! Gigi!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I got all my birds from breeders except my blue/gold, Walter.

I was looking on Craigslist, actually for a cockatoo that needed rehoming I had heard about. I came across Walter’s listing by accident or chance and he looked so terrible I had to just get him.

We paid the woman $450 for him, basically no questions asked.

My Walter has no ‘macaw tail’. He has more-so an amazon/grey sized tail.

The lady told us her other macaw plucked him, not sure if that was a lie or she just didn’t know. He snaps his feathers off himself.

I think he’s happy..he does not let us touch him for sure, but he has a huge cage-free area now and constant attention. :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There really is a heart-warming selection of stories here. Love them all. I think maybe this should be recommended reading for new members looking at getting their first birbs.
@BeanieofJustice shame I couldn't 'like' more than once ;)

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
What lovely stories everyone! :hug8:

In 1999, when I was 12 I saw peach faced lovebirds at a pet store and they were the cutest little things. I'd always been fascinated by birds and really wanted one. I'd been wanting a pet so for the next year I did as much research as I could on their care, convinced my parents I would/could handle it, and was able to find a local breeder who would have some babies ready soon-ish.

I met Peanut at the breeders' house. We spoke some and she brought out what must have been a couple of clutches of fluffy little beebs in a soft basket to meet. They were like little Easter eggs, all colors in the rainbow. I wanted one of the "pretty" ones, there was a seagreen that had white flight feathers I remember - such a pretty bird, but this silly green one came right over to where I was knelt and kept squishing her way into my sweatshirt sleeve to. Several times this would happen, the breeder would help me gently pop her back out and while I was meeting another baby over she'd waddle and -wiggle- right back in. :heart:
I was smitten, and that's the baby I put my deposit on. Maybe she was just cold, or looking for a place to hide but I'm so happy I chose the bird that "chose" me.

She's just such a special mix of cuddles and sass, I love her.

She's 19 now and has been feeling her age, I just cherish every day and do what I can to keep her twilight years happy and comfortable.
I'll never be ready to say goodbye but when she crosses the rainbow bridge she will have left me a better person for having been my friend and loud, messy roommate all this time.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love all the stories. Great shares!

My story has a dark side, so please skip it if you don't want to feel angry and/or depressed.

My very first bird was a cockatiel named Herald. I was only 5. I didn't know anything about the bird. My father brought him home and said he was mine, but that was about it. My father tended to do this. He impulse bought all the time. He was really bad with animals. He would buy them and then lost interest in them quickly. I spent a lot of my childhood caring for a long list of impulse pets. I am sincere animal lover. My father was a nightmare for a lack of a better word.

Herald was very stressed. I remember my father wanting to drive him around in a model train. And built a cargo car that Herald was in. As it went around the track Herald wanted out. He was pulling on the lever and desperately trying to escape. My father had the train run faster and faster. The train derailed and flew from the table. My father laughed. My heart sank. I ran to the little bird got him out and was in tears. My father scolded me for getting Herald out. I defended Herald and was really confused by my father. I was 6 or so at the time.

In another year Herald got very ill. My father was holding him, force feeding him a medicine concoction he created. I still remember it clearly. Poor little Herald died in my fathers careless and cruel hands. His little rosy checks falling to the side. His neck limp.

We don't get to choose our family. I was an unlucky child. This made some of my life complicated, but I made it. Now in my 30s I have healed a lot and I am happy to say my father died a few years ago. I feel much freer now. Please Don't worry about me! Be there for any lost kid who has no one instead :)

Herald left an impact on me. I really loved birds and I would talk to any bird I could.

When I was older I got my own bird Petrie. I never let my father near him..ever! My mother went with me to get him and he was a really special bird. When I was in high school I subscribed to Bird Talk Magazine and it changed my life. I worked in high school and I spent nearly all my earnings on Petrie. I bought him a nice big cage and he got proper vet care. I did make mistakes with him in some ways. He definitely saw me as a mate, not a flock friend. He was possessive of me and I am sure I am to blame. We did love each other. He was a white faced cockatiel. Omg! Was he a sweet heart.

I read the magazine cover to cover every month. I pinned the posters up all over my room. I learned about so many species and so many new ways of looking at bird care and bird behaviour. I kept the magazines, many of them still have the memory of Petrie's nibbles all around their edges. The internet was newer at the time. Info is so much easier now..but at that time that magazine was all I really had.

Petrie's life was improved greatly and I also became a bird addict! I am a PhD candidate and my research and work revolves around birds.

Every pet I have under my care is my commitment. I treasure all life. Making my birds salads and enjoying my time with them is my pleasure. I could not imagine life without them.

My current birds come from a combo of breeders, rescues and rejects. I do the best I can by them every day. If I have a nice time with Neptune under my chin, Pi on my knee and Zippy flying around my head my day is perfect! If they are all grumpy and wanting their own space I smile watching them play and eat.

Last edited:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
This is a trigger warning because my response to @fashionfobie mentions abuse.

I'm so sorry you had to go through what you did with Herald. I also did not have a great family life. My father was wonderful, but he passed away from Leukemia when I was 10. Unfortunately, the same compliment cannot be said of my mother. She is severely mentally ill and has always been extremely abusive to my sister and I, along with animals behind closed doors, and away from my father's loving eyes. She treated animals like they were disposable and abused them. I too know how much it hurts to witness that.

As a child, who was terrified of her mother's rage, I didn't know how to help. I tried to yell at her to stop, but my tears and complaints fell on deaf ears. My sister and I both moved states away from her. The Incredible thing is, you are clearly nothing like your father, and I am nothing like my mother. :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
9 birds in my flock 6 cockatiels, 2 parakeets and a lovebird- range in age - my oldest (tiel) is at least 20 yrs.old. 4 tiels and a parakeet came from pet stores. One of the budgies was found where I work.

@cassiesdad , Sunshine's cage mate - tiel Marcel - came from the situation you described from @webchirp. I met Chandra and she delivered him to me on her way to bring Sunshine to you. He likes to hang out with 2 of my other tiels. He is doing well!

And tiel Phoebe - came from the local humane society - who was rescued from a hoarding situation.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@cassiesdad , Sunshine's cage mate - tiel Marcel - came from the situation you described from @webchirp. I met Chandra and she delivered him to me on her way to bring Sunshine to you. He likes to hang out with 2 of my other tiels. He is doing well!
I am so happy to hear Marcel is doing so well! I do remember things in a more difficult way these days. :( Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Marcel a Whiteface Tiel?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@cassiesdad , yes Marcel is a whiteface male tiel. Not sure what his original name was and Chandra did not quite remember what it was - just that it was a long name. I remember asking for suggestions here and liked "Marcel" after the French mime artist Marcel Marceau. He is doing well but can be a "bully" to the other tiels at times!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He is doing well but can be a "bully" to the other tiels at times!
...ah yes...Sunshine can be a bit of a bully at times, also. :) He thinks he should have all of Dad's attention when he's with me...even though other birds might be around...he chases any other bird away that dares come over while he's with me...:jawdrop1:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Wow these stories are so sweet! It is amazing the love that comes in such tiny little packages!

@fashionfobie and @AutumnRain :hug8:
I’m so happy you both have become the passionate, animal loving people you are today! Normally we inherit traits like that from our parents, but when you “get it on your own” despite your parents that is a special thing.

I’m 44 and never had a bird before. Not even much experience around other people’s birds either. It was my daughter who kept pushing for a bird. She turned 12 last April, and for at least 6 months prior she realllly began pushing for it. We were animal-less at the time, which is unusual for us. I’ve been a dog person all my life and after our last baby passed I couldn’t think of “replacing” him. Anyway, I began researching birds...soooo much to learn. I began watching videos and just taking in information wherever I could get it. Slowly it started to turn to a point where I think I wanted a bird even more than my daughter! I began having dreams, and waking up sad that the little budgerigar in my dream wasn’t real. (Sound familiar Autumnrain!?) :joyful:
We started looking at pet stores, and fell in LOVE with a feisty blue budgie that didn’t seem to want anything to do with her cage mates. I decided all the small cages at the pet store just wouldn’t do and ordered a bigger one online. Problem was, we had to wait for shipping and Petsmart would not let me pay for the budgie to hold her until our supplies came. I was devasted, totally convinced she’d be sold before we had everything.

But she wasn’t! We finally brought her home and I was so nervous, excited etc it was crazy lol But after spending a ton of time with the bird and researching like crazy we started to have a great relationship! “They” say pet shop birds are hard to tame- it wasn’t hard with Jo. It took a lot of patience, but she came around rather quickly! “they” also say female budgies are less friendly- again...just not true with Jo! That’s the main reason I thought “she” was a he for so long. Now I know that isn’t always true, as there’s quite a few other female AA budgies who are super friendly.

We got Loki about 2 months after Jo, from a local breeder. We weren’t supposed to be getting our 2nd baby until the next clutch was ready, but his previous owner fell through and he instantly went to my daughter. AGAIN love at first site! He’s our floofy little rainbow :) Loki is such a sweet, easy going bird. Jo is very active and can be quite bossy :p They are pretty much opposites but mostly get along really well. They do bicker over treats, or the same food bowl occasionally (even with 4 bowls in the cage) but watching them preen or feed each other is the sweetest thing.

I can’t imagine not having birds in my life now. My budgies are sweet, full of personality and verrrry entertaining! I do hate when they are called “starter” birds, or discarded as lesser parrots. I love my budgies more than I ever thought possible :heart:

Last edited:

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I got my cockatiel, Cloud, from the breeder/ pet store. When I first visited that place, they didn't have any tiel, so they ask if i want to put my name on the waiting list. I gave my name and got a call from them after two weeks. They told me that they have 4 baby tiels. Told me that I could come and see them on Saturday when the store's opened, and I could put a deposit if I want to. The store opens at 11 am, and i got there exactly at 11 am. I asked them about the babies, and they told me that there were people who waited in line before the store even opened. Those people put deposits on 3 of the baby tiels. So there was only one leftover, whiteface fallow cockatiel, Cloud!:D He was the youngest baby among the group. I didn't get to choose, so I guess it was meant to be. :joyful::dance4: He also looked like an odd one in the group, and i was worried for a bit. Fortunately, Cloud is the only tiel that doesn't have a bald patch behind the crest among in the group. All I wanted was a healthy baby.

He is such a good boy, always looking at me like I am a celebrity. :laugh: He has never really given me a hard time so far, except he is too clingy. Only if he doesn't poop all over the places, he would be a perfect angel. Hopefully, he stays the same good boy as he becomes an adult.

Cloud2.jpg CloudEgg.jpg "Let me stay on your shoulder, please. I promise I will be a good boy" - Cloud

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He is such a good boy, always looking at me like I am a celebrity. :laugh:
...well, you are. ;)

You're Cloud's flock, which to him, is the most important thing in the world...it definitely is an honor to be thought of as part of the flock...;)