• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did you meet your feather friend

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Most of the stories I hear about people buying a bird is that it wasn't planned or they weren't looking for that type of bird, so I'm curious how everyone here decided to bring their bird home.
I met Burt at my local Virginia Beach pet store. I had wanted a bird since my budgies passed, but I definitely wasn't actually planning on getting one any time soon. However, when I went over to the bird area just to look, Burt ran from one end of his play area all the way over to me, hopped onto my hand, and didn't want to get back off. So of course I made the only decision I could and bought him. He was put on hold there while he got off his baby food and I read everything about cockatiels before picking him up. We've been inseparable ever since.
Here's a picture of him watching the hurricane this morning

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My fiancé inherited Sunny, my cockatiel, when his owner passed away. I came home one day and there was a bird in my house. That's how it happened. I didn't think I liked birds. I didn't think I wanted a bird. I thought we should find him a home with "bird people". Sunny had other ideas. He pretty much loved me from day one. I was definitely his person. And the first time he came out of his cage - after a couple weeks of having him- he ran across the top of his cage, put his head against my shoulder, looked up at me and purred. My heart completely melted. I promised him then that we would be his forever home. He was the most amazing little bird and I miss him every day.

Now we have my Tasmanian devil, Elvis. It took awhile before I was ready for another bird after losing Sunny. My fiancé suggested I foster. Which I did for awhile. Through helping at the rescue, my fiancé became interested in getting a goffin. (I think because Sunny was "my" bird, I thought he should get to have a bird that was more his.) For some reason, all cockatoos like my fiancé but that was the problem. They all liked him and wanted nothing to do with me. And I knew I would be the person cleaning cages, etc. so I needed a bird that at least tolerated me. We met Elvis and although once again, he preferred my fiancé, he was fine with me. So after fostering him for awhile, we then adopted him. And now, he is actually "my" bird and not my fiancé's. Elvis is scarily smart, sweet and funny. My only wish is that I could teach him to just "perch" for awhile, because he is always busy. Which on one hand is good, because he certainly entertains himself, but on the other hand, I feel like I get nothing done when he's out because he needs constant supervision. But I can't imagine being without him.

Oh, and now I'm definitely a crazy bird person. LOL. :)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I never saw myself as a bird owner.
I really enjoyed seeing my boyfriends uncles birds (he has 13-16 PFL´s) and one day my boyfriend suggested we bring home a little lovebird. I knew a lot about them and how to care for them because I found it interesting, not becasuse I actually wanted one in my home, I always thought I was just a dog mum through and through. But faced with the option to bring home our own bird I accepted the offer and I went out to find our bird. I decided I wanted a yellow bird before I arrived at the breeders, and I chose the largest, most alert bird I saw.

Screenshot_20190906_185207_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg My first picture with my first bird ❤

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I grew up with parrots, including E.T., a DYH Amazon Parrot, and a Grey-Cheeked Parakeet named Yoshi. I also got to spend the day with my mother's friend's Cockatoo once. Yoshi was my bird, but she eventually passed away. I always knew I wanted to get parrots, and I specifically planned on adopting two African Grey parrots when I had a large enough home for them and the means to do so. I know their species will be a great fit for me, and they are my dream birds. That said, I never expected to get Emery. Emery is one of my dream birds, I just didn't know it yet.

I had been researching parrots for about two and a half years before adopting Emery, because I wanted to learn as much as possible to prepare myself, since there's so much new information about them and their dietary and safety needs available now. Throughout this time, I so badly wanted to just go out and get a parrot, but I knew it wasn't the right time. The wait was extremely difficult and painful as I had wanted a bird so much. When December 2018 came around, I had a dream with a cockatiel in it. It was a lutino cockatiel, and in the dream, I was holding him and getting ready to take him home. I had loved everything I'd read about how sweet-natured cockatiels can be, and the bird in my dream reminded me of that. The dream felt so real that when I woke up, I was devastated that it had only been a dream. After thinking about it, I realized that it finally felt like it was time to adopt a parrot, and that the first parrot I would adopt wouldn't be an African Grey Parrot, but a Cockatiel.

I started my search on Hoobly, Craigslist, and AA for a tiel in need of a loving home. I found a male tiel on Hoobly that I was supposed to meet and take home with me. The owner and I had even arranged a time and day for me to do so. I was so excited. I remember looking at his pictures frequently as I waited for the few days to pass before I was set to go meet him. Then, only a day before I was supposed to go there, the owner decided she wanted him and her other parrot to be adopted as a pair. The other bird was a Conure. I love Conures, but I didn't think a Conure was the right fit for my living situation or me at the time. I was heartbroken, but I reminded myself that it wasn't meant to be, and that there was still a bird out there just waiting for me.

I resumed my search, still feeling sad over the news I had received, when I found a nearly one-year-old cockatiel on Craigslist that was about two hours away from where I live. I messaged the person who listed the ad, and he said she was still available. I asked a few questions about her diet, health, and temperament before setting up a time to go meet her. I decided not to get my hopes up too high this time, to avoid the same pain that I had felt last time in case he changed his mind or let someone else adopt her before I got there.

The night before New Year's Eve, I made the long drive to where he lived, and got caught in a bad snow storm on the way down. When I finally arrived, I met a small female tiel who clearly cared very much for her owner, and him for her. He was heartbroken to have to rehome her, and my heart broke for him as well. It was clear that she had been very loved. He told me a sad story of why he had to rehome her, involving someone in the home hating her, something I witnessed with my own eyes, along with hearing from this individual how much they really did hate her. Emery, who didn't hiss or lunge at me, a complete stranger, hissed and lunged at the individual who hated her. I felt there had possibly been some mistreatment going on toward Emery from this person. It was then that I knew I could not leave her behind.

So, I put her in my winter coat and zipped it up to keep her warm, while I walked out to the car with the snow steadily falling along the way. Her, now previous owner, helped me load up the cage he had for her, along with other supplies. Then I got the box with millet and a soft blanket ready to put her into. I promised him that she would be well loved, and thanked him for entrusting her to me. I know he knew he was making the right decision by getting her out of his home and away from that person who despised her, and I felt so honored that someone who loved her as much as he did was allowing me to take her home to call her my own. As she did not know her previous name, I knew she would forever be Emery Rose, a name I chose for her that fits her beautiful, sweet soul perfectly. I rang in that New Year with a smile on my face and my bird in my arms.

Even though I will still be adopting two African Grey parrots that need a new home in the future, Emery is every bit as important to me as they will be. She isn't a "starter bird," she's my family, and she has most certainly stolen my heart. :heart:
photostudio_1562975687817-picsay.png

Last edited:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
My fiancé inherited Sunny, my cockatiel, when his owner passed away. I came home one day and there was a bird in my house. That's how it happened. I didn't think I liked birds. I didn't think I wanted a bird. I thought we should find him a home with "bird people". Sunny had other ideas. He pretty much loved me from day one. I was definitely his person. And the first time he came out of his cage - after a couple weeks of having him- he ran across the top of his cage, put his head against my shoulder, looked up at me and purred. My heart completely melted. I promised him then that we would be his forever home. He was the most amazing little bird and I miss him every day.

Now we have my Tasmanian devil, Elvis. It took awhile before I was ready for another bird after losing Sunny. My fiancé suggested I foster. Which I did for awhile. Through helping at the rescue, my fiancé became interested in getting a goffin. (I think because Sunny was "my" bird, I thought he should get to have a bird that was more his.) For some reason, all cockatoos like my fiancé but that was the problem. They all liked him and wanted nothing to do with me. And I knew I would be the person cleaning cages, etc. so I needed a bird that at least tolerated me. We met Elvis and although once again, he preferred my fiancé, he was fine with me. So after fostering him for awhile, we then adopted him. And now, he is actually "my" bird and not my fiancé's. Elvis is scarily smart, sweet and funny. My only wish is that I could teach him to just "perch" for awhile, because he is always busy. Which on one hand is good, because he certainly entertains himself, but on the other hand, I feel like I get nothing done when he's out because he needs constant supervision. But I can't imagine being without him.

Oh, and now I'm definitely a crazy bird person. LOL. :)
I'm so glad you found a bird like Sunny you could bond with Your cockatoos sound adorable. I love their personalities but I could never have one from the mess :hilarious:

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I never saw myself as a bird owner.
I really enjoyed seeing my boyfriends uncles birds (he has 13-16 PFL´s) and one day my boyfriend suggested we bring home a little lovebird. I knew a lot about them and how to care for them because I found it interesting, not becasuse I actually wanted one in my home, I always thought I was just a dog mum through and through. But faced with the option to bring home our own bird I accepted the offer and I went out to find our bird. I decided I wanted a yellow bird before I arrived at the breeders, and I chose the largest, most alert bird I saw.

View attachment 314576 My first picture with my first bird ❤
I'm glad your boyfriend's Uncle got you into birds! They are a wonderful companion ♥
I grew up with parrots, including E.T., a DYH Amazon Parrot, and a Grey-Cheeked Parakeet named Yoshi. I also got to spend the day with my mother's friend's Cockatoo once. Yoshi was my bird, but she eventually passed away. I always knew I wanted to get parrots, and I specifically planned on adopting two African Grey parrots when I had a large enough home for them and the means to do so. I know their species will be a great fit for me, and they are my dream birds. That said, I never expected to get Emery. Emery is one of my dream birds, I just didn't know it yet.

I had been researching parrots for about two and a half years before adopting Emery, because I wanted to learn as much as possible to prepare myself, since there's so much new information about them and their dietary and safety needs available now. Throughout this time, I so badly wanted to just go out and get a parrot, but I knew it wasn't the right time. The wait was extremely difficult. When December 2018 came around, I had a dream with a cockatiel in it. It was a lutino cockatiel, and in the dream, I was holding him and getting ready to take him home. I had loved everything I'd read about how sweet-natured cockatiels can be, and the bird in my dream reminded me of that. The dream felt so real that when I woke up, I was devastated that it had only been a dream. After thinking about it, I realized that it finally felt like it was time to adopt a parrot, and that the first parrot I would adopt wouldn't be an African Grey Parrot, but a Cockatiel.

I started my search on Hoobly, Craigslist, and AA for a tiel in need of a loving home. I found a male tiel on Hoobly that I was supposed to meet and take home with me. The owner and I had even arranged a time and day for me to do so. I was so excited. I remember looking at his pictures frequently as I waited for the few days to pass before I was set to go meet him. Then, only a day before I was supposed to go there, the owner decided she wanted him and her other parrot to be adopted as a pair. The other bird was a Conure. I love Conures, but I didn't think a Conure was the right fit for my living situation at the time. I was heartbroken, but I reminded myself that it wasn't meant to be, and that there was still a bird out there just waiting for me.

I resumed my search, still feeling sad over the news I had received when I found a cockatiel on Craigslist about an hour and a half away from where I live. I messaged the person who listed the ad, and he said she was still available. I asked a few questions about her diet, health, and temperament before setting up a time to go meet her. I decided not to get my hopes up too high to avoid the same pain this time in case he changed his mind or let someone else adopt her before I got there.

The night before New Year's Eve, I drove all the way over to where he lived, and got caught in a bad snow storm on the way down. When I finally arrived, I met a small tiel who clearly cared very much for her owner, and him for her. He was heartbroken to have to rehome her, and my heart broke for him as well. It was clear that she had been very loved. He told me a sad story of why he had to rehome her, involving someone in the home hating her, something I witnessed with my own eyes, along with hearing from this individual how much they really did hate her. Emery, who didn't his or lunge at me, a complete stranger, hissed and lunged at the individual who hated her. I felt there had been some mistreatment going on from this person. It was then that I knew I could not leave her behind.

So, I put her in my winter coat and zipped it up to keep her warm while I walked with the snow steadily falling, to the car. Her now, previous owner helped me load up the cage he had for her, along with other supplies. Then I got the box with millet and a soft blanket ready to put her into. I promised him that she would be well loved and thanked him for entrusting her to me. I know he knew he was making the right decision by getting her out of his home and away from that person who despised her, and I felt so honored that someone who loved her as much as he did was allowing me to take her home to call her my own. As she did not know her previous name, I knew she would forever be Emery Rose, a name that fits her beautiful soul perfectly. I rang in that New Year with a smile on my face and my bird in my arms.

Even though I will still be adopting two African Grey parrots that need a new home in the future, Emery is every bit as important to me as they will be. She isn't a "starter bird," she's my family and she stole my heart. :heart:
View attachment 314581
That is a precious story. I'm so glad you were able to give Emery the loving home she deserves ☺

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so glad you found a bird like Sunny you could bond with Your cockatoos sound adorable. I love their personalities but I could never have one from the mess :hilarious:
Thank you. :) Elvis is messy in that he likes to shoot things out of his cage- pieces of wood, pellets etc. So that makes a mess. But it's easy to clean. He is actually potty trained. He came to us like that- I didn't do it. So in that regard, there's no mess. My little foster tiel on the other hand... I forgot how often tiels go the bathroom. LOL. And everywhere. So in that regard, Elvis is less messy.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Thank you. :) Elvis is messy in that he likes to shoot things out of his cage- pieces of wood, pellets etc. So that makes a mess. But it's easy to clean. He is actually potty trained. He came to us like that- I didn't do it. So in that regard, there's no mess. My little foster tiel on the other hand... I forgot how often tiels go the bathroom. LOL. And everywhere. So in that regard, Elvis is less messy.
I would loooove to potty train Burt. I didn't know you could really train birds that since they go so much

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
We have a relatively well known feral population of PFLs here and I grew up with a colony in my neighborhood. I’d always been fascinated by them and have done a lot of research into PFLs over the years. Last year I finally took the plunge and brought home my own little lovie. I no longer have my zebra finches, but now have a bustling little flock of parrotlets and lovebirds :lol:and my auntie who started my bird obsession with her B&G now has more than 30 zebra finches in her aviary! It’s good to be bird people ;)

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
We have a relatively well known feral population of PFLs here and I grew up with a colony in my neighborhood. I’d always been fascinated by them and have done a lot of research into PFLs over the years. Last year I finally took the plunge and brought home my own little lovie. I no longer have my zebra finches, but now have a bustling little flock of parrotlets and lovebirds :lol:and my auntie who started my bird obsession with her B&G now has more than 30 zebra finches in her aviary! It’s good to be bird people ;)
Your and your aunt's flock sounds adorable! I would love to have more birds, but I just know my jealous little birdie would be very angry if I brought any others home

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would loooove to potty train Burt. I didn't know you could really train birds that since they go so much
I have read that it's not a good idea to potty train birds, especially little birds. But I know there are mixed opinions on it. I don't think I would ever try to potty train a bird, but like I said, Elvis came that way. He's really regimented about it. For instance, if we're upstairs, he'll come and rub his beak against my face, which I've learned means take me to the bathroom. He gets upset if he doesn't know where he's supposed to go.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've read it is bad to potty train for a multitude of reasons.

I just watch mine. You can learn when they're going to go and place them back on a perch.

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I've read it is bad to potty train for a multitude of reasons.

I just watch mine. You can learn when they're going to go and place them back on a perch.
Burt will stop whatever he's doing and just look at me and squat and I'll know to pull out the toilet paper. He seems like he goes about every 5-10 minutes so I think it would be impossible to train him even if I tried. I'm used to the poop, but I always warn people who pick him up that he's gonna poop :rofl:
What would be a reason it would be bad?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Burt will stop whatever he's doing and just look at me and squat and I'll know to pull out the toilet paper. He seems like he goes about every 5-10 minutes so I think it would be impossible to train him even if I tried. I'm used to the poop, but I always warn people who pick him up that he's gonna poop :rofl:
What would be a reason it would be bad?
Among other things, I think I read that it can hurt them to hold it.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Once my husband and I decided to sell our 500 sq foot house and get a normal sized house, I told him that I wanted to celebrate our new space with an animal that we wouldn't have been able to have in such a small space. I told him I wanted a budgie, but he insisted that a cockatiel would be better for us, as he had experience with his Uncle's bird. So I found a breeder, and we picked out Tikki from her pictures. He's been sweet and trusting from day one!
Tootie was surrendered to a rescue when his owners said he was too loud. He was at the rescue for just a few months when we came to visit. Kim brought him out and said he was very shy, but not aggressive. She said he was known for disliking men, but he sat on Dan's shoulders and was happy there. We fell in love and never looked back!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I’d been interested in parrots since I was a kid. I loved cockatiels, and African greys after watching the intelligence of Alex (not the talking per se) a family friend had a backyard rescue and would tell me about birds. She had just rehomed a female African grey before I started asking her about it.
So over there I went. In a breezeway, with three AGs, an Eclectus (who I was originally offered to adopt), two macaws, and many 20+ year old cockatiels.
A51B7198-891B-44A0-8142-40F43BAB41E1.jpeg
This is how I first met Sam. And he just went head-over-heels for me. Much to my ex’s chagrin.
I wasn’t planning on a Macaw. But, it took me around a year to get everything in order to adopt him. In that time, I bought him his own cage and bought him pellets (which I was told he would reject and starve to death if I didn’t give him seed). He cracked me up because he would scoop the seed out with his beak and throw it on the floor but he loved the MSBS brand of pellet mix I bought for him.

Ser Tibbington was a bit of a surprise too. I’d always liked Conures and gotten along with them. Species didn’t seem to matter. I’d long dreamed of a GCC but, I was afraid that they were too small for my household. So I looked at Sunnies; I’d met a lot of them and their calls remind me of my favorite pet shop as a child. Years of metal music and macaw screams have probably left me a bit hard of hearing anyway.
I vaguely knew that Jendays were a species. But, there he was. Looked over because he’d had a reputation for biting people bloody and at six months old, he was much older than the other more cuddly babies. Or so I was told.
F8A95791-D6B4-4DCF-932A-586E59DEDE82.jpeg
He cuddled with me and napped on my shoulder, ignoring the person he usually abandoned everyone to fly to.
I’d had the supplies for a smaller bird because I’d found deals and I’d dreamed of adding a Conure some day. Didn’t expect one so quickly but I couldn’t just leave this guy there!

Pictures of them now;
535C7F13-0292-489D-A41C-772FE59784D0.jpeg
71FA6E18-FD49-4244-B390-2BD564A32CA2.jpeg

Eggburt Dobson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Once my husband and I decided to sell our 500 sq foot house and get a normal sized house, I told him that I wanted to celebrate our new space with an animal that we wouldn't have been able to have in such a small space. I told him I wanted a budgie, but he insisted that a cockatiel would be better for us, as he had experience with his Uncle's bird. So I found a breeder, and we picked out Tikki from her pictures. He's been sweet and trusting from day one!
Tootie was surrendered to a rescue when his owners said he was too loud. He was at the rescue for just a few months when we came to visit. Kim brought him out and said he was very shy, but not aggressive. She said he was known for disliking men, but he sat on Dan's shoulders and was happy there. We fell in love and never looked back!
It sounds like Tootie picked you rather than you picking Tootie
I’d been interested in parrots since I was a kid. I loved cockatiels, and African greys after watching the intelligence of Alex (not the talking per se) a family friend had a backyard rescue and would tell me about birds. She had just rehomed a female African grey before I started asking her about it.
So over there I went. In a breezeway, with three AGs, an Eclectus (who I was originally offered to adopt), two macaws, and many 20+ year old cockatiels.
View attachment 314649
This is how I first met Sam. And he just went head-over-heels for me. Much to my ex’s chagrin.
I wasn’t planning on a Macaw. But, it took me around a year to get everything in order to adopt him. In that time, I bought him his own cage and bought him pellets (which I was told he would reject and starve to death if I didn’t give him seed). He cracked me up because he would scoop the seed out with his beak and throw it on the floor but he loved the MSBS brand of pellet mix I bought for him.

Ser Tibbington was a bit of a surprise too. I’d always liked Conures and gotten along with them. Species didn’t seem to matter. I’d long dreamed of a GCC but, I was afraid that they were too small for my household. So I looked at Sunnies; I’d met a lot of them and their calls remind me of my favorite pet shop as a child. Years of metal music and macaw screams have probably left me a bit hard of hearing anyway.
I vaguely knew that Jendays were a species. But, there he was. Looked over because he’d had a reputation for biting people bloody and at six months old, he was much older than the other more cuddly babies. Or so I was told.
View attachment 314650
He cuddled with me and napped on my shoulder, ignoring the person he usually abandoned everyone to fly to.
I’d had the supplies for a smaller bird because I’d found deals and I’d dreamed of adding a Conure some day. Didn’t expect one so quickly but I couldn’t just leave this guy there!

Pictures of them now;
View attachment 314651
View attachment 314652
I love Tibbingston's glow up! They're such pretty birds ♥