• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did you make improvements for your plucker?

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a recovering plucker. For the first time in five years, we are making great progress. She is nearly fully feathered. In April, and for the last 4-5 years, she was nearly a completely white bird. I am interested in what others have changed to see progress, so that I can try those things, too. Multiple vet tests turned out to be normal. Bird was on a good diet. Her cage mate died 5 years ago.

What I changed (obviously these things worked for me on a case by case basis; might not work for others, or not even most others):

1) Switched from water bottles to water bowls
2) Added red palm oil
3) Started covering the cages
4) Added vitamin D
5) Added mop heads and preeners (didn't do anything in this case)
6) Bought a Celltei Pak O Bird and bring bird on hikes/visits/short outings (very good product; now that I have one I understand the cost)
7) Bring the bird outside periodically, for full sun exposure
8) Misted with aloe vera (bird hates it so I stopped)
9) Encourage bird to exercise: flapping wings on hand, hanging upside down, swinging, etc
10) Give her red palm oil before leaving out the front door so she is occupied and not focused on my leaving
11) Switched from Roudybush to TOPS pellets (not pushing TOPS specifically; it simply is free of many main ingredients other pellets use such as corn, wheat, soy--used it as a pseudo elimination diet that is greens based instead of grain based)
12) Added some TOPS seed and/or canary seed (Volkman's) to diet
13) Added more chewing toys (wood blocks)
14) Added a mirror (bird hasn't even looked at it as far as I know)
15) Added a canary to my flock (probably not what did it, either, since this happened well before the improvements. The bugger sure is cute, though.)
16) Moved to a new apartment (bird is still by a window, but only on one side now, among very likely many other things)
17) Added powdered pepper into the diet, and many spices that are categorized as pungently spicy. Cinnamon, cumin, red pepper, black pepper, white pepper. Parrots needing peppers is a native folk understanding of birds that was passed to me.
18) Offered dried peppers (bird didn't touch)
19) The well water here has Calcium; the well water in the last place was high in iron. Have not explored the differences
20) New place has no cats; old place had outdoor cats
21) Probably other things I do not remember, now

I am interested in what others have found helpful for their birds. Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Stimulation. Stimulation. Stimulation. A busy beak and mind don't have the time or desire to pluck. Flight is vitally important.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I don't have nor have I ever had a plucker, but I've heard that mirrors can actually cause plucking. I would remove it so it doesn't possibly make it worse

I've heard of people dangling feathers from the cage, whether their own molted feathers or some from a feather duster, and it helping the plucking.. you could get creative with it and find a way to make the feathers so she can pull them out so she still gets that sensation of plucking without harming herself

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I don't have nor have I ever had a plucker, but I've heard that mirrors can actually cause plucking. I would remove it so it doesn't possibly make it worse

I've heard of people dangling feathers from the cage, whether their own molted feathers or some from a feather duster, and it helping the plucking.. you could get creative with it and find a way to make the feathers so she can pull them out so she still gets that sensation of plucking without harming herself
I am interested in actual cases. Not theoretical nor general advice. Thanks.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello Phoe Phoe,

I have a nearly 22 yo CH Conure who has plucked most of his life (according to the records from the parrot rescue where I adopted him). He has been in my home for a little over 5 months. The vet at the rescue believes it was a poor diet that triggered the behavior, and now it is just habit and endorphine release. Opie has no feathers on his torso, but he does have flights and tail feathers, and of course his head feathers are intact. He occasionally self-mutilates and has been in a petal collar 3 times since I have had him home.

Supplements:
I have tried Greywood Manor's Pretty Plume Tea--which I don't believe is really having any effect on lessening his behaviors.
I plan to try Rescue Remedy once-a-day in his water, but have not begun that.

Medical Conditions that may be causing pain:
I plan to make an appointment with his vet to discuss a CT scan to determine if there is visceral gout present (no elevated uric acid in blood work and no plaques visible on xray).
I hope the same CT scan would allow me to know if he has any atherosclerosis.

Environment:
I try to keep him occupied as much as possible with foraging opportunities, plenty of shreddable and chewable toys that are re-arranged weekly. I'm working to train him in order to keep his mind occupied as well as allow me to handle him more easily. He is a 'no-touch' bird.
I am working to clean and re-screen my back patio so that it will be a larger area for all my birds to explore, fly, get some fresh air and sunshine.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello Phoe Phoe,

I have a nearly 22 yo CH Conure who has plucked most of his life (according to the records from the parrot rescue where I adopted him). He has been in my home for a little over 5 months. The vet at the rescue believes it was a poor diet that triggered the behavior, and now it is just habit and endorphine release. Opie has no feathers on his torso, but he does have flights and tail feathers, and of course his head feathers are intact. He occasionally self-mutilates and has been in a petal collar 3 times since I have had him home.

Supplements:
I have tried Greywood Manor's Pretty Plume Tea--which I don't believe is really having any effect on lessening his behaviors.
I plan to try Rescue Remedy once-a-day in his water, but have not begun that.

Medical Conditions that may be causing pain:
I plan to make an appointment with his vet to discuss a CT scan to determine if there is visceral gout present (no elevated uric acid in blood work and no plaques visible on xray).
I hope the same CT scan would allow me to know if he has any atherosclerosis.

Environment:
I try to keep him occupied as much as possible with foraging opportunities, plenty of shreddable and chewable toys that are re-arranged weekly. I'm working to train him in order to keep his mind occupied as well as allow me to handle him more easily. He is a 'no-touch' bird.
I am working to clean and re-screen my back patio so that it will be a larger area for all my birds to explore, fly, get some fresh air and sunshine.
This sounds very interesting. Good luck and please keep me updated. Have you noticed any signs improvement over the five months? Does not have to be feathers growing back.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not much so far, I’m afraid. Although he hasn’t needed the collar since mid-May. He’s been plucking for so long that he doesn’t have any feather follicles left on his little torso. I work full-time, so I can’t entertain him or even be with him all the time. I’m hoping that the screened patio outings will help. We start down the Rescue Remedy road today. But it is a homeopathic treatment, and I don’t know that it will do much for such entrenched behavior.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Not much so far, I’m afraid. Although he hasn’t needed the collar since mid-May. He’s been plucking for so long that he doesn’t have any feather follicles left on his little torso. I work full-time, so I can’t entertain him or even be with him all the time. I’m hoping that the screened patio outings will help. We start down the Rescue Remedy road today. But it is a homeopathic treatment, and I don’t know that it will do much for such entrenched behavior.
Are the conure’s feet cold or warm When you pick him up?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie only steps up on a rope perch at the moment. As I said, he is literally a hands off bird. No head scratches, no stepping up on the hand or arm.