• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did you decide to breed your birds?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First up: there is absolutely NO WAY I am getting into breeding. Not for me!

I am getting quite depressed seeing on social media how people just think "oh it would be nice to have chicks" and let their birds breed without researching and without having anybody to show them what to do.

So, without any judgement, how did you get into breeding your birds? Have you faced any challenges? What do you say to those who say "oh there's a first time for everyone"?

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
The breeder I used for getting Faith and Hope was very experienced. Like most parronts, I have no desire to breed my birds. Mostly out of fear of one dieing, but that is enough reasoning for me.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The breeder I used for getting Faith and Hope was very experienced. Like most parronts, I have no desire to breed my birds. Mostly out of fear of one dieing, but that is enough reasoning for me.
Me too. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to one of them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I didn't. And I'll be the first one to speak up against it and counteract every flawed selfish amoral reason they give for doing it. (There aren't very many admitted breeders on this forum. Most of them leave because of people like me.)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
i hve been breeding finches for most of my life since.. well sine i could walk i suppose. It started out as a hobby, in an aviary, but now i have a few couples of rare siskins wich i breed on purpoSe. mostly because of some nunderlying fear of these birds dieing out :(

that said, there is something amazing about breeding animals that you just dont see with humans. For me its the dedication these birds have, and the passion they do it with i suppose. Does that make any sense?

on a note: its not about the money :) whenever we have young, we just as easily give them away for free if they find nice good aviary’s with likeminded people :)

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Doesnt have birds, but when I do it wont be for breeding.
As I see it, geting a pet animal, and geting a pet and breeding animal are two very different things.
And as such in the years till I get the birds, finding where I want to buy pet birds is more then enough work as is, I have no illusion that I will manage in that time to find birds with the genotype I would feel sure of qualified, or have enough knowledge of the species to differentiate on phenotype to pick the bird most qualified as such.

Then even if you got a bird like that, you would have to get a second bird that also complimented it on any weaknesses, so you didnt breed a double for an unwanted trait. Before even geting to see if they would get along.

And after comes the responsibility of finding good homes you can trust to sell them too. So no I dont forsee it as the most likely thing to happen, one should never say never, but atm its not on my horizon so to say.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Well, without discussing my reasons I'll tell you what I did to prepare...

I researched the species I wanted. I visited an experienced hand feeder to mentor me in handfeeding. I spoke to experienced breeders about husbandry and then I prepared. I took out a small loan (not kidding). $3000 I borrowed from my in laws. If I was going to do it I would do it in a professional manner trying to give the birds the best care I could. I located a reputable breeder and purchased several young birds. I waited for them to grow up and start breeding.

I got a real brooder with a thermostatic temperature control to keep the babies at the proper temp. I spared no expense and got actual help and advice from real people who had actual experience in breeding my chosen species (pacific parrotlets). I did not learn on you tube or from free resources. I bought books, I traveled to meet actual people and spoke to actual people with experience and consulted veterinarians. I waited months to get just the right birds. Spent money to build the right set up and still it is never problem free.

In the end I raised many beautiful babies, found homes and offered support to new owners. At the very best times, I get to see the wonder of life, the beauty of birds and the miracle of growth, happy people taking great care of their birds for years to come. Truly giving them a forever home. At the worst times, I have lost eggs, babies and birds. People want to rehome or return their babies or they struggle with behavior problems that they themselves have unknowingly created. And that is just parrotlets.

I had to take a break for a while and later came back with caiques. It is everything above times 10. A whole new ballgame. More money, more time, more problems, more vets - more everything.

I'm not a martyr, but neither am I a hypocrite. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually do believe that birds make wonderful companions and can live a very happy life in our homes. I am thrilled with the progress that I see in raising the standard of care for parrots in our homes and I want to see that continue because we still have a long way to go. People who share the belief that parrots can make great companions and who want to see parrots in our homes for generations to come, should acknowledge (if even only to themselves, silently within their thoughts) that someone must preserve and pass on the ability to raise parrots or they will forever disappear from our homes.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
And thats good, because I fully realize the systems to do it the way I would want to do not exsist. So my bar for feeling ok with the idea is a theoretical bar that is not practically to act on to a full extent. So without someone with a bit lower bars, there wouldnt as things are today be birds for me to get.

I have other things too where I meet myself in the door as such, because I just dont like big unknowns in what I am responsible for on some areas. In others I am ok with whats reasonable good enough (the world is not static, what we know for a fact today may well be proven obsolete tomorow).