• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How did our parrotlet die?

talkingpie

Checking out the neighborhood
Our male parrotlet of 12 years tragically passed away last week. Unfortunately we’re unsure how it died. My mother found his lifeless body at the bottom of the cage with splashes of blood all around. I inspected the body and noticed dried blood around its rectum and something large and brown protruding out of it. You can find a picture here, but warning, it is a bit graphic. It almost appears like an explosion of some sort and this was not present beforehand. He seemed perfectly fine during the morning but no one was home during most of the day to witness what happened.

My family is left with a lot of questions, but if anyone can give any insight it would be sorely appreciated. Thanks.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see the pic,but it sounds like perhaps a prolapsed rectum and possibly the stress and strain of it happening with blood loss could have been factors.
Birds have such little blood in their bodies to begin with especially one as small as a parrotlett that it unfortunately doesn't take much blood loss to be fatal.

If it looks "exploded" he may have been tearing at it because of the pain.

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m so sorry for your loss :sadhug2:We are not vets so we can not give any definite answer. If you really want to know what happened you can try a necropsy. Here is a thread
Necropsy

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I can't see the pic,but it sounds like perhaps a prolapsed rectum and possibly the stress and strain and it happening with blood loss could have been factors.
April gave a pretty good explanation on what could have happened.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Reproductive cancer is a possibility. As tumors grow they can push on other structures, block intestine, or start bleeding..

Birds are hardwired to hide illness or health issues . So even when things have been going on longer , the first and only sign can be sudden death.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

talkingpie

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks everyone for the condolences and responses.

I can't see the pic,but it sounds like perhaps a prolapsed rectum and possibly the stress and strain of it happening with blood loss could have been factors.
Birds have such little blood in their bodies to begin with especially one as small as a parrotlett that it unfortunately doesn't take much blood loss to be fatal.

I was also thinking that it looked liked his rectum must have prolapsed and you're right that he must've pecked at it because he also had a bit of blood around his beak. I am left wondering how it prolapsed. Perhaps from falling?

If this is true it really makes me sad and guilty knowing our little guy died in pain with no one around to help him; there were no previous signs and to suddenly witness the scene is really shocking.

A necropsy wouldn't be possible now because we buried him.

Last edited: