• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How dark do I need to make it to reduce hormones?

macaronish

Hit the Road
I've noticed macaroni seems to be molting and getting hormonal (squeaky chirping with flattened back) according to her previous owner, she's a very hormonal bird who lays eggs pretty frequently and she is now fully settled into her new home so I think she's feeling ready to roost so to speak. I've been covering her cage and am going to start doing it as soon as it gets dark outside (around 5pm) since she wakes up at 9am and see if that helps. However the room she's in can't be fully quiet, since it's the only room... is full darkness and mostly quiet good enough for reducing hormones? Her diet is currently about 65% zupreem natural pellets, the rest is a seed mix and fresh vegetables. I've rearranged her cage and rotated it also and won't allow her on my shoulder at all until her hormones are reduced... are outings in her carrier a good idea for hormone reducing enrichment?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet recommended up to 16 hours of complete darkness when my budgie Jujube was having serious health problems due to his hormones. I mean complete darkness. No lights from electronics. Blackout curtains and cage cover.

macaronish

Hit the Road
My vet recommended up to 16 hours of complete darkness when my budgie Jujube was having serious health problems due to his hormones. I mean complete darkness. No lights from electronics. Blackout curtains and cage cover.
This literally isn't possible for us as she's in the only room. I can't have 0 light for 16 hours a day in my living space, best I can do is a cage cover and small dim night light... I mean in nature, don't birds have the light of the moon and stars at night?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This literally isn't possible for us as she's in the only room. I can't have 0 light for 16 hours a day in my living space, best I can do is a cage cover and small dim night light... I mean in nature, don't birds have the light of the moon and stars at night?
Yes, unless it's a cloudy night. But...it's a different quality of light than our human electronics. If you can use a cage cover and keep her in a quiet corner (no loud noises to disturb her), that should help.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds sleep in their travel cages in a closet that I can make pitch black. Do you have access to a closet? I find it easier on me and them to not have them sleeping in the same room as my family and I are hanging out in.