• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How consistently should my budgie do trained behaviours on cue?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
When we really think about it...who's training who here? Parrots have a mind of their own. It is why we love them. Expecting them to perform on queue each and every time is unrealistic. Expecting them to consider us one of their flock is much more achievable. They are not like domesticated animals. However if you can achieve enough trust from them to engage with your desires some of the time then you are truly blessed.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
You've got me super curious! I'm definitely looking it up! Makes me want to get a chicken!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think one of the reasons I got so attached to my birds is because a realtionship with them is hard won, which makes it so special, because it's hard to get there

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
When we really think about it...who's training who here? Parrots have a mind of their own. It is why we love them. Expecting them to perform on queue each and every time is unrealistic. Expecting them to consider us one of their flock is much more achievable. They are not like domesticated animals. However if you can achieve enough trust from them to engage with your desires some of the time then you are truly blessed.
Thank you for that @Lori D Pert. I just love what you said and your approach to living with birds - it really resonates with me. TBH, I think I've been led a bit astray by watching too many YouTubers. Some of them give the impression that we should expect our birds to perform on cue, and that we're not training effectively if they don't. I'm so grateful to you and all the other parronts on this forum for sharing your wisdom. Thank you! :heart: