• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How consistently should my budgie do trained behaviours on cue?

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
My 3 month old budgie has done really well with training - he picks up everything really quickly. BUT, he doesn't always do the trained behaviours when cued. For instance, he won't always step up when we need him to (e.g. to move him to a safer spot in the room). OTOH, I want him to have the freedom to have some independent choices (e.g. if he doesn't feel like stepping up for a scritch, he doesn't have to) BUT, I worry that, if there were ever an emergency, I'll need him to do certain behaviours immediately (e.g. step up to go in his travel cage). Should I be training him more vigorously to be more consistent with his trained behaviours?

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Sounds like you may be giving him treats when he tries, so now he tries less. You should only reward when he does the desired reaction or behavior.
If you want him to come when called, call his name once, and say Come(or other word you want associated with the trick). Otherwise you get the neighbors dog that doesn’t remember if he should come the first or the fifteenth time his name is called. reward for the specific behavior that leads up to the trick but one the trick is learned, only reward for the trick. That way the know that trying less doesn’t get anything.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My bird deos the exact opposite, she will do a trick on cue and do even not on cue, I think it is useful to have millit on you always, so at random times ask him to step up WITHOUT showing you have millit, if he deos the desired behavior then reward him, so he's trained to do what you ask without showing him the millit, Lady jane is right though, he's young and he just wants to do everything,
Remember they are kind of like two year olds

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Kayosa, you may be right - while I am very careful about giving the treats, my kids aren’t the most consistent. I’ll have to train my kids better! Lady Jane and Feathered, he is so much a little tot still! He just loves exploring and is so easily distracted. I keep forgetting to take into account how young he still is. Should I continue training but wait until he’s older to expect more consistency from him? When he matures, will he be more consistent or is it unrealistic to expect a budgie to be completely “obedient”?

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Ah, you should keep training, but remember he is young, and like your kids will have his distractions. Keep training sessions short to keep him interested in the training. Over training I’d just as bad as under training, as they can lose interest in treats and training.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Thank you kayosa! I'll be more mindful to not over train the little guy.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It is unrealistic to expect dog like obedience from any bird.
Even professionally trained show birds, do it for the fun of it, and the reward, and at times blow off their trainers if not in the mood. Keep training fun and relaxed. The most important thing IMO is building that strong trusting bond.
Parrots are still considered undomesticated, and their instincts will trump learned behavior at times, especially if there's an emergency or lots of distractions. Don't expect to rely on obedience for safety.
You sound though like you have a good relationship, and your bird is doing very well.
Just enjoy his success, and don't stress the mistakes.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
macawpower58, that was really helpful to read, so I can keep my expectations more realistic. It was especially helpful to know that birds are still undomesticated, and can't be compared to a dog, in terms of obedience. I'm finding that my little guy responds best when I interact with him in ways that build and maintain his trust. That feels most right to me too, so I plan to continue interacting with him as respectfully as possible.

Pat H, thanks so much for the welcome! Our budgie seems to be a really clever bird, so he's made it easy and fun for us to train him!

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
All that being said, we're currently struggling with something that we just can't figure out. I hope someone can help!

Sometimes, our budgie won't stay away from places that we'd rather he not hang out on. He loves to explore on our sofa, computer keyboards, window sills, and on the ground. The keyboards we can deal with - it's actually kinda cute, and it's not too hard to move him off. Window sills are mostly OK until he starts chewing things he shouldn't, like the gaskets around the glass. The sofa and ground are definitely NOT OK (we just know he'll be squished or stepped on someday if he keeps this up :eek:) and they're the most challenging to shoo him away from because they're such large, open spaces.

Here are some of the things we've tried:
  1. Ask him to step up on a finger or perch (he'll hop right off then run away) Note that he's completely hand tame and is not afraid of fingers, hands or perches.
  2. Ignore him when he goes to the unsafe spaces. Then, give him treats and lots of attention when he's in one of the appropriate spaces (didn't work - he still finds the unsafe places super appealing!)
  3. Use targeting (he ignores the target stick)
  4. Lure him with treats (works most of the time, but not always)
:banghead: Is there anything else we can try, or can we improve on anything we're already doing? Or, is this something he'll eventually grow out of when he's more mature and less rambunctious, easily distracted and curious?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With my budgie boys, I've learned that their desire to train/play comes and goes. Right now, we're in a 'goes' period, lol! They are target trained, recall trained (mostly), and will spin for me. None of it is 100%. If they are just not in the mood to train when I ask, I simply quit and try another time to keep us all from getting frustrated.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Ah. I’ve never trained my birds to avoid an area. My chickens avoid my garden because it rains evertime they go there, but I think chickens may be more… trainable then parrots.
they’re modern velociraptors after all.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I don't think chickens are more trainable than parrots, but I'm interested, why do you think chickens are more trainable:D

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Thanks for sharing @Kassiani! Ha ha... my little guy can be more in the "goes" period than "comes"! How old are your budgies? I've learned not to push it with training sessions, and go with his mood. Are your boys mostly willing to do the tricks outside of training sessions (e.g. step up when asked to)?

@kayosa I'm with Feathered - I'm curious how chickens are more trainable!

I'm realizing that my last message may get lost in this thread so I'm going to start a new one for it.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
@Kassiani Oh dear - I was hoping your boys were tots like mine! Ha ha... so much for hoping my little guy will grow out of this phase! :rolleyes: I'm learning that maybe it's me who has to lower my expectations rather than hoping my budgie will start listening more.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I don't think chickens are more trainable than parrots, but I'm interested, why do you think chickens are more trainable:D
@kayosa I'm with Feathered - I'm curious how chickens are more trainable!
Chickens are very trainable! I am not sure if they’re more trainable then a parrot, but that is because I haven’t really trained either!
Chickens are extremely intelligent! Do a internet search of chickens doing tricks, it’s very interesting.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
They are domesticated and are born more interested in humans then parrots are. It’s genetics. Like dogs, certain breeds of chickens are happy to be with and interact with humans. They integrate with humans more easily then even parakeets, probably the most domesticated of the parrot species.