• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how common are plucking linnies?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
A couple years ago I acquired a plucked adult linnie who apparently doesn't pluck himself, but he does pluck and chew on the feathers of whomever he's housed with. Sadly, it has been determined to be a behavioral habit since it continues despite an entire lifestyle/diet change and several "let's try this!" attempts. But it has gotten me to wondering how often one sees plucked linnies? Does anyone here have non-breeding linnies who either pluck themselves or pluck others??

-NG

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

babychicks

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jen
I have two Linnies, one male and one female. They are bonded but we are discouraging breeding (so far successfully). The female has feather destructive tendencies, but for now it’s only overpreening or barbering. She does it to the parts of her body she can reach and also the male’s head. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get her to stop, but no success yet. Hoping it doesn’t lead to something worse like plucking…

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Interesting! So she does it to herself as well as her buddy. And mine does it only to his buddies. For me I'm now simply trying to manage it, since nothing I've tried has made a dent in altering the behavior. And keeping him in his own cage, even right next to the others, he just hollers, which doesn't work for me :)