• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How cold is too cold?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
So I have an Aviary with 6 birds, they are each in individual cages, I have 2 lovebirds, 2 budgies, and 2 cockatiels, and I cover them at night, however, I've recently noticed that the temperature is dropping to about -1 deg. Celcius, and I am wondering if that's too cold for them, and web results aren't giving me the info that I need.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I know with budgies and tiels the actual temperature is not as important as how much the temperature changes. A 6 or 7 degree swing would be my personal limit. That said -1 is pretty darn cold. I wouldn't let mine go below 6C.
@Zara knows more about the lovies.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara knows more about the lovies.
I don´t think I can help.
Personally I would look at a way to heat this aviary. -1 for a lovebird.. I mean, their bodies have evolved to adapt to living in Africa where it´s hot.
It never drops below 10 for us here so my birds have never felt the cold. We have temps of 40 to 50C here in the summer and down to 10 in the winter. My doors are open when the birds are caged for fresh air and they are fine with the summer - winter changes.

6 birds, they are each in individual cages
Can these individual cages be brought in at night in the winter?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Many here have aviary birds who never have been indoors- we do get temps just below freezing here, but only overnight for a few hours.

Vet reassured me that outdoor birds are fine… If they’re healthy, they’ve lived their whole lives outside and have a decent sheltered section of the aviary to get out of any wind/breezes and they’re partnered, the temps just below freezing for a few hours are tolerable- not ideal but tolerable.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I don´t think I can help.
Personally I would look at a way to heat this aviary. -1 for a lovebird.. I mean, their bodies have evolved to adapt to living in Africa where it´s hot.
It never drops below 10 for us here so my birds have never felt the cold. We have temps of 40 to 50C here in the summer and down to 10 in the winter. My doors are open when the birds are caged for fresh air and they are fine with the summer - winter changes.

Can these individual cages be brought in at night in the winter?
By individual cages, I mean that they are seperated except for the budgies and lovies. The cages themselves are custom made and very big, so they can't be brought inside unfortunately. And I'd just like to ad, in SA, where I live, the winters get rather cold.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Many here have aviary birds who never have been indoors- we do get temps just below freezing here, but only overnight for a few hours.

Vet reassured me that outdoor birds are fine… If they’re healthy, they’ve lived their whole lives outside and have a decent sheltered section of the aviary to get out of any wind/breezes and they’re partnered, the temps just below freezing for a few hours are tolerable- not ideal but tolerable.
Where i live, the lowest its been going is 0 - -1 degrees celcius, and only for a few hours in the middle of the night, so it should be ok. And we are planning to attach the other piece of material we have to the aviary.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Where i live, the lowest its been going is 0 - -1 degrees celcius, and only for a few hours in the middle of the night, so it should be ok. And we are planning to attach the other piece of material we have to the aviary.
My neighbours have birds in an aviary (most people I know here with birds keep them in outdoor aviaries) and we got down to -2 a few times over the last few weeks but only for a few hours overnight.
I asked a vet about outside temps just a few weeks back and was told what I quoted above. They suggest it’s best to keep them in pairs if they’re outside to snuggle up and help keep them warm and also give a weather proof area- not a nest box but a covered shelter. Obviously I can’t put my indoor birds out in this weather as they’re used to the temperature indoors but a bird who has acclimatised and is healthy should deal with our temps ok with the above mentioned safeguards.
I live in country Victoria- Wimmera Mallee area.